Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Who's For Tennis?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1,105

Who's For Tennis?

Feb 11, 2021, 3:33 PM

I'm really not a tennis buff but have noticed a dramatic change in the nationality of the players over the years. Years ago, the top players were primarily from the United States, England, France and Australia. Currently, many of the players are from countries that most people can't pronounce the name or can't point to their location on a map.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As one who was recruited by Clemson

Feb 11, 2021, 4:37 PM

And the great Chuck Kriese, I love it. And you’re right. America is producing fewer and fewer quality players every year. Other countries take the game more serious than we do and thus the shift in the nationality of our recruits. Back When I was being recruited, I even thought Coach Kriese’s name was foreign. Now I can’t pronounce the ball boys’ names.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Re: Who's For Tennis?

Feb 11, 2021, 5:38 PM

Fore! Have you checked out the number of South Korean players on both the PGA and LPGA Tours?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 11, 2021, 7:07 PM

its about all there are it seems

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 11, 2021, 5:38 PM

I played collegiately (not for Clemson - wasn’t good enough) but was a late bloomer and did play some regional pro tournaments back in the mid-80s. Settled in as a club pro for about six years.

Biggest reason is the lack of scholarships for American male players. With Title IX, outside football, basketball and a few for baseball, extremely tough to get college scholarships. My disappointment with US tennis is that it is a non-revenue sport that SHOULD go primarily to Americans. But universities love showing their cultural diversity and how they have students from all over the world, as if it makes the schools more relevant or important or enlightened.

Women’s tennis still has some scholarships to give out and thus have more quality women in juniors.

Parents with good athletes would rarely introduce their kids to tennis due to the lack of having some college being offset by universities. It will continue to put American tennis in a poor position to ever develop quality players, especially men.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 11, 2021, 7:10 PM

got 2 grand children in HS tennis now. Love their matches. Don't think thy will be collegiate players but it is a good sport for a life time. I hat to se the opportunities to play in college vanish

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 5
| visibility 1,105
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic