Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Final Masters take. Schauffle had the tournament
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Final Masters take. Schauffle had the tournament

Apr 12, 2021, 10:39 AM

right in his hands after the happenings on 15, even though he was still behind. Had he stuck one close to the pin on 16, Matsuyama would have had his first real pressure all day.

But, NOOOOOOO, he ponded his tee shot instead, with another one for good measure, and wound up with a triple bogey SIX. Tournament over at that point. No one else was close enough to matter, and there were no more watery grave chances left.

Congrats to Matsuyama, he did exactly what he needed to do, used up all the available shots of his lead, and won by one. All in all, one of the most boring final rounds I have ever watched in The Masters. But, the Committee is happy, no one came close to duplicating MiniCoot's 20 Under Par finish from last year. They would never admit it, but that was their entire objective when setting up the course this time around. They can tell you they don't care what the winning score is, but every time a winner shoots a low number, you can count on a tricked up course for the next tournament.

The only real surprise to me was, the number of times the best players in the world missed fairways, by a WHOLE BUNCH. Can't blame that on a tricked up course.

And, finally, once again, the course humbled Bryson DeChambeau. He looked like he had a bad case of intestinal gas after most of his shots. He may have won a U.S. Open somehow, but I don't see him ever having the patience to win at Augusta National.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not sure agree 100% but nevertheless interesting perspective

Apr 12, 2021, 11:14 AM

Matsuyama may have played differently on 17 and 18 if challenged. Bryson may continue to evolve. He’s not scared of change or being unique.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If he just pars 16, he wins***

Apr 12, 2021, 11:28 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Final Masters take. Schauffle had the tournament

Apr 12, 2021, 11:28 AM

I enjoy when Augusta is ‘tricked up’ because I think it favors the creative players and guys who play by ‘feel’. To me, those guys are way more entertaining and I think embody the type of player The Masters was intended to showcase. I personally hate it when greens are so receptive that they are just throwing darts.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 12, 2021, 11:47 AM

AN does not trick up the course. The flagstick placements are essentially the same every day of each year. They do not manipulate the rough heights to effect score, as that would be difficult to do during a tournament. With no rain, the one thing they do have control over is the firmness of the greens. They want then firm and fast, as evidenced by the brownish color of the Bentgrass surfaces. However, when they get a rain and they soften up then the scores are going to reflect softer greens. The other factor in which they have no control in the wind. I think the club does not like extremely low scores, but I don't think they get too bent out of shape when conditions are beyond their control.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 12, 2021, 12:06 PM

DeChambeau is doing just fine. He will figure Augusta National out eventually. Just drive the ball straight and it will help him greatly.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 12, 2021, 12:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Final Masters take. Schauffle had the tournament ]

Many years ago I used to go to the Masters on a regular basis, courtesy of a friend at Dunlop. During one of those trips most the the greens were poa anna which was a surprise to me. We had just sprayed our greens at Boscobel here at Clemson to get rid of the poa anna. (Not sure if I have spelled poa anna right or wrong).

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 12, 2021, 1:17 PM

Poa Annua infiltrating my Kentucky Bluegrass yard has been a losing battle for me for years. Oh how I despise it!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 12, 2021, 1:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Final Masters take. Schauffle had the tournament ]

Joe ..... you have a great memory and are close ...... but not quite right. For years, up into the 70's (don't remember exact year), the green surfaces at the Augusta National were Bermudagrass (Hybrid). Because Bermuda is a warm season grass and Augusta is closed during the summer and open for members for play and the Master's Tournament during fall, winter, and spring, the Bermuda would be dormant. Therefore, every fall they would overseed their putting surfaces with a mixture of Ryegrass, Bentgrass, and a small amount of Poa Trivialis ...... not Poa Annua.

Getting technical, but the Poa Trivialis blades are stiff and wiry and it is more difficult to get the kind of speed that the club wanted for the tournament. Therefore they eventually eliminated the Poa Trivialis or cut back on the amount used in the mixture. The reason it was used in the first place is because some of the influential members there who were also members at Pine Tree CC in Florida wanted to greens to appear more plush. Plush greens = slow greens.

Incidentally, we think of Poa Annua (Annual Bluegrass) as a "weed", but in other areas of the country like Southern California it is too prolific to control so many courses there, including Pebble Beach indeed have Poa Annua greens.

Apr 13, 2021, 12:17 PM

Spoken like a golf course superintendent. Or club pro.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

I played junior golf competitively (well, I entered

Apr 12, 2021, 1:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Final Masters take. Schauffle had the tournament ]

tournaments) growing up, and we had nicknames for many of the local tracks around South Carolina, many of them not very complimentary. One in particular was derisively known as Poa Annua Paradise. Can anyone name the course? I'll never tell!

Message was edited by: dsgriff®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I played junior golf competitively (well, I entered

Apr 12, 2021, 1:48 PM

Greiff ...... there was one course in North Myrtle Beach that had a sign posted saying if you had played xxxxxxxx during the week you would have to have your shoes cleaned before playing their course.

It has been many years ago but...

Apr 12, 2021, 1:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Final Masters take. Schauffle had the tournament ]

I've had the pleasure of playing Augusta National three times. The final time I got to play with Jay Haas.

He was telling us how differently the course is set-up and plays when it's set-up for the members as opposed to when it's set up for the tournament each Spring (Captain Obvious right).

Of course, the course is closed from May thru October for course maintenance and improvements, so it's going to look and play very differently during the winter months.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It has been many years ago but...

Apr 12, 2021, 5:11 PM

I am so jealous. I was literally within one hour of playing it once many years ago, group cancelled on me one hour before time to leave home. Worst sports letdown of my life. :( :( :(

The first time I had the chance to play there...

Apr 13, 2021, 11:45 AM

it was a very cold February day. The temperature was at or below freezing and it was sleeting like crazy when we arrived. We toured the facilities and then had lunch effectively killing time in hopes the weather would improve. It didn't and we never got to play (that day). That was a very long, frustrating, and disappointing drive back home.

I had a similar experience at The Country Club at Brookline

Apr 13, 2021, 12:16 PM

several years ago. Was scheduled to play with a member and had looked forward to it for weeks. It rained so much the day before our round that they closed the club the next day. Our experience was limited to a tour of the clubhouse.

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

That happened to me at TPC Sawgrass...

Apr 13, 2021, 12:30 PM

the day before the Gator Bowl game against Syracuse.

Apr 12, 2021, 1:59 PM

Very nice synopsis of the tournament. I tuned in for Sunday afternoon and when one guy is that many strokes in the lead, it is not very exciting. I love that we have a gallery once again and glad sports are being played!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of '87

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic