Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Please let this model succeed (pay for play)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1,657

Please let this model succeed (pay for play)

Mar 4, 2021, 1:03 PM

I don't agree with everything in this approach, but I would love to the top high school players (who don't want to be student athletes) have an opportunity to get paid. The NCAA should not be at fault for a problem the pro leagues created with age restrictions. European soccer teams and other sports pay young kids all over the world and develop their talent. Why do American sports get a pass to use the University system.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/31002105/over-elite-pro-basketball-league-launching-september-compensate-high-school-aged-players

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Please let this model succeed (pay for play)

Mar 4, 2021, 1:21 PM

Bad idea. This basically will have thousands of kids who think they are good at basketball not focusing on high school education and spending all their time chasing $$. Then when they don’t make it through high school and can’t get into college. They will blame the system and live off tax payer money or turn to life of crime and either end up dead or in prison.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 4, 2021, 1:46 PM

yeah I see this cutting into the talent pool of the type of players we might get moreso than the obvious one and dones than NC and Duke would pay to get

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 4, 2021, 4:17 PM

I am sure the people at OTE know more than me and did their research, but I just don't understand the market for this, especially at such high expense numbers. 32 players, $100,000 minimum salary. That creates 4 teams of 8 people with a minimum 3.2 million dollar annual payroll. That is without coaches salaries, pro-caliber trainers, court rentals, and all the other things they feel high school 'doesn't offer'. The Australian league's minimum is $42,500, and it's the only product in the country. Who would actually watch the same 4 teams play and complete in a season?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pay for Play is the world's oldest profession.

Mar 4, 2021, 6:00 PM

It is probably managed better than the NCAA will manage this. :(

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 4
| visibility 1,657
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic