Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Clemson negotiating to add troll sculpture
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 62
| visibility 51

TNET: Clemson negotiating to add troll sculpture

Apr 8, 2021, 9:33 AM

Clemson negotiating to add troll sculpture

This is some interesting news for the city of Clemson. The Clemson city council has authorized the Arts Center executive director Joan Phillips to negotiate a contract with Danish artist Thomas Dambo for a 20x25 wooden troll to be added in Nettles Park. The city council voted 5-1 last month (Mayor H Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hmm, does that resemble any of our TNet Trolls?

Apr 8, 2021, 9:37 AM

Also, that thing obviously has a bad case of the Shingles.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do they have an older troll doing a bench press action scene?

Apr 8, 2021, 10:31 AM

Then I would say yes.

~JKB

it'd be a lot cooler if they did

Apr 9, 2021, 10:52 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZUR1SSNj6g

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hmm, does that resemble any of our TNet Trolls?

Apr 8, 2021, 10:54 AM [ in reply to Hmm, does that resemble any of our TNet Trolls? ]

Pickens has a giant bear that was carved from a tree trunk with a chain saw and I guarantee you it didn't cost over a few hundred dollars .

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

+1 for shingles***

Apr 8, 2021, 11:15 AM [ in reply to Hmm, does that resemble any of our TNet Trolls? ]

Re: +1 for shingles***

Apr 8, 2021, 3:00 PM

+1 for the plus +1.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: TNET: Clemson negotiating to add troll sculpture

Apr 8, 2021, 9:47 AM

Someone tell them the "artist" is named Dambo, not Dabo.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 8, 2021, 9:49 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Apr 9, 2021, 10:41 AM

What a total waste of the tax payer’s money! The mayor seems to be the only one with any semblance of fiscal responsibility in the council chambers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ummm.......no.***

Apr 8, 2021, 9:50 AM

That just seems so screwed up. Trolls as a theme for parks

Apr 8, 2021, 9:50 AM

in Clemson? No way they could come up with a logical theme for the area. At least it's an educational troll..........?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's what I was thinking, too. We I was a kid, trolls were

Apr 8, 2021, 6:57 PM

ugly creatures who hid under bridges waiting to attack unsuspecting folks, especially kids, according to books. :(

Apr 8, 2021, 9:53 AM

I wonder if it will be wearing a Gamecock shirt?

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Apr 9, 2021, 12:50 AM

Maybe put spurs on it just to troll them.

Apr 8, 2021, 10:04 AM

Why???? Must be Grant money. Can’t imagine anyone spending their own money on this.

I believe it was***

May 26, 2021, 10:30 PM

The “druids” being invoked on t-net . . .

Apr 8, 2021, 10:13 AM

are making more sense to me now. Never knew we had an infatuation and affinity with those sorts.

Makes no sense to me, but whatever . . .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The “druids” being invoked on t-net . . .

Apr 8, 2021, 10:23 AM

What a waste of any funds from anywhere. WTH!

I used to have a kick aS$ Druid healer back during my WoW days

Apr 8, 2021, 2:37 PM [ in reply to The “druids” being invoked on t-net . . . ]

That dude was overpowered

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 8, 2021, 10:25 AM

~JKB

Apr 8, 2021, 10:27 AM

That thing is ugly and will scare the hayull out of little kids. Your tax dollars at work.....

Apr 9, 2021, 12:48 PM

I work in Summit County, CO (where Breck and 3 other ski resorts are located), and the troll is actually quite popular with little kids. It's a landmark/symbol of Breck.

I recommend a visit to Breck since it's gorgeous, has fantastic restaurants, and the views are unbeatable. Quite expensive, though.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did they consider hiring a local artist or artists ?

Apr 8, 2021, 10:32 AM

$180,000 would be a big help to local artisans, not so much to this guy in Denmark.
You have to wonder who thought this was a good idea on any level.

Maybe it’s one of those sister city deals***

Apr 8, 2021, 1:13 PM

I am glad Clemson increases tuition every year for ...

Apr 8, 2021, 10:46 AM

all these worthwhile projects. Wait, I am trolling?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

City of Clemson doing this, not the University

Apr 8, 2021, 11:54 AM

Tuition not involved.

Excellent news

Apr 8, 2021, 11:14 AM

I have been waiting for the city council to do something worthwhile like this for a long time

Apr 8, 2021, 11:15 AM

Clemson...city of trolls?
The Clemson Trolls?

So, the mayor is the only one with any common sense?

Are they going to spend $1 million in a fact finding mission before this is instituted? Go to denmark for a year, or whatever, sample the local culture, buy a bunch of trinkets and garbage, then write a 450 page report on how this is going to help stop climate change?

Apr 8, 2021, 11:18 AM

P.s. wouldnt this also be considered appropriating culture?

They need to make sure there is no ethnic or racial insult to trolls

This is like an episode of Parks and Rec

Apr 8, 2021, 11:18 AM

Apr 8, 2021, 11:20 AM

Is this infrastructure?

Apr 8, 2021, 11:26 AM

$180,000 for a troll, then the council will come back to some meaningful and worthwhile project and say they don’t have funds. Take that money and fix the soccer fields that are unusable when there is heavy rain. Put in a drainage system at Nettles park.

Apr 8, 2021, 11:31 AM

I would tell them wrong board moran and to get lawst coot!

Why wouldn’t you erect a sculpture of a,I don’t know, tiger?

Apr 8, 2021, 11:51 AM

To maybe bring attention to the plight of Bengal tigers in the wild? I’m not sure why people spend their time helping clean the parks when they have enough money to buy a sculpture of a troll? How is the sculpture of a monster they in fairytales each children going to educate them? Teach them not to hang out under bridges?

Re: Why wouldn’t you erect a sculpture of a,I don’t know, tiger?

Apr 9, 2021, 11:04 AM

The town is not the university. Sometimes this gets forgotten. I for one am glad they are not putting up a statue of a tiger. Now, a statue of a “troll”? Meh, it’s unique at least. But, $180k is a lot to pay for unique.

Clemson has an arts center? Who knew?***

Apr 8, 2021, 12:46 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Ummmm ... what is the purpose? To

Apr 8, 2021, 12:49 PM

become better friends with Iceland and other Nordic nations?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Wouldn’t a giant Tiger make more sense?

Apr 8, 2021, 1:30 PM

Infrastructure!!!

Glad they are focused on something important??***

Apr 8, 2021, 1:36 PM

Apr 8, 2021, 1:50 PM

I'm assuming that there were already plenty of Trolls in, and around Clemson, especially the campus!!!;) Aren't trolls, and spies one of the same. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 8, 2021, 3:13 PM

Man this would have gotten me bad when I was walking around campus on acid back in the day.

Apr 8, 2021, 3:56 PM

I don't know that it would but, that would depend on what kind of acid you were doing. In my day, about all the acid trips that I went on, they basically made me laugh a lot at just about anything. The only bad trip that I had from taking acid, was from Orange Sunshine. After that, I stuck with the milder, Micro Dot, and that was always a really fun and happy trip!!!! :)

Message was edited by: allinallorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 8, 2021, 4:04 PM

This just screams "idiot politicians spending tax-payer money". A druid? NO!!! A troll? NO!!! How about a tiger in the woods? How about paying off debt? Just about anything is better than this!

Apr 8, 2021, 5:01 PM

Doesn't appear to be a good move to let the Arts Center director negotiate the contract. Hope they at least put a max limit on the project.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Apr 8, 2021, 6:17 PM

Scotty...beam me up!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Always a good idea to publish your max price you will pay before beginning negotiations.***

Apr 8, 2021, 7:44 PM

Always a good idea to publish your max price you will pay before beginning negotiations.***

Apr 8, 2021, 7:45 PM

Apr 8, 2021, 7:45 PM

Apr 8, 2021, 7:46 PM

I’m going to troll this troll sculpture idea

Apr 8, 2021, 8:19 PM

If you have $180,000 to spend on this nonsense, the citizens of Clemson deserve a tax refund.... City of Clemson has waaaay to much money

Apr 8, 2021, 9:09 PM

This is the biggest squandry of local taxpayer dollars and the absolute dumbfuckest liberal ######## i have ever experienced here in our tiger community, ever since the covid scam debacle and spring game cash rush rape fleecing of fans!!!!
#### off!

Apr 8, 2021, 10:59 PM

Hmmmm. Not quite sure how you feel about this whole troll, ummmmmm, thing? I believe you need to have a forum, in which you pander to thousands, spend lots of money, in order to have no clear delineation as to what to do. Then, go back to the drawing board. All while adding several dozen trolls to your staff, just so their voices may be heard. After discovering that WALDO cannot found, and that all the trolls are actually after your lucky charms, declare a national holiday with lots of drinking and debauchery. With the trolls. The FBI shows up. Lots of pictures are taken and, somehow, all the money has disappeared. That's how id do it.....

Apr 8, 2021, 9:55 PM

Is this a late April fools joke? What on earth?

And we laughed at the coots for their giant chicken.***

Apr 8, 2021, 10:03 PM

There's something in these hills.

Re: And we laughed at the coots for their giant chicken.***

Apr 8, 2021, 11:01 PM

Yes, we did.

And we still are.

Something tells me, we will continue to laugh at them for a loooooooooong time to come

Apr 8, 2021, 11:14 PM

At least it wasn’t a million dollar chocolate hen!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Apr 8, 2021, 11:52 PM

So I guess no widows or orphans are homeless or hurting in Clemson? Interesting use of funds?

Apr 9, 2021, 10:46 AM

I guess now they are contacting the artist about “the : billy goats gruff”, as well. I hope none of the council members are Clemson alumni.

I thought it was a joke

Apr 9, 2021, 10:53 AM

Nettles Park is a Clemson Park but it’s actually in Pendleton/Anderson so I don’t see why they invest so much there vs others parks.

Apr 9, 2021, 5:33 PM

Update: City Council's Statement on Proposed Troll Statue:

On March 15th, City Council authorized staff to negotiate a scope of services with an artist named Thomas Dambo who uses reclaimed wood to create Troll Sculptures. This was needed to gather crucial information prior to making any final decisions.

Additionally, council moved any further consideration to approve the project to the annual budget process to allow for additional public input.

City Council has not made any commitments or approved anything other than gathering additional information.

Replies: 62
| visibility 51
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic