Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
You just can't win like this
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1

You just can't win like this

Apr 4, 2022, 8:38 AM

It isn't so much that we are losing, it is how we are losing that is so frustrating.

I think most would recognize our schedule to this point has been much weaker than it is going to be the rest of the season. With that in mind, consider these season statistics.

Through 27 games, we have struck out 290 times. We are averaging nearly 11 K's per game against much inferior competition. On the flip side, our (weaker) opponents have struck out 253 times. We are striking out nearly 4 full innings in a 9 inning game. You can't win like this.

We have a total of 947 registered at-bats on the season and have struck out 290 times. We strike out 30.6% of all of our at-bats. We are not even giving ourselves a chance by making contact in 1/3 of our at-bats. Again, this is against presumably much weaker pitching than we will see the back half of the season. You can't win like this.

Our preseason best player (Grice) has 48 K's in 109 official AB's. This is compared to his 4 total HR's and 7 total extra base hits. You can't win like this.

In comparison, Ingle (a contact guy who puts the ball in play) is hitting .392 on the year and has 13 K's in 102 total AB's. He also has the exact same 4 HR's and 10 total extra base hits. It isn't hard to see that contact and quality bat control win out over launch angle and swinging for the fences. You CAN win with a team approach like this. Why is it so hard to convince our guys?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Extra painful yesterday

Apr 4, 2022, 8:41 AM

to lose a series at home with the bat on your shoulder and the tying run at 2nd base.
Ouch.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Extra painful yesterday

Apr 4, 2022, 9:00 AM

Bat on the shoulders is a big thing as well. I've noticed way too many backwards K's in both baseball and softball. I was coached my whole life to NEVER go back to the dugout watching strike three. Close up stance, fight off close pitches, etc. We've got Logoleo in softball who has had several double-digit at-bats recently, but a lot of the rest don't seem to do anything to change up with 2 strikes.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You just can't win like this

Apr 4, 2022, 8:47 AM

Now those are some analytics I can get behind!

Giggity!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

u can't win when you send the 2nd base runner

Apr 4, 2022, 9:05 AM

home and he slides in under the tag.. but misses the plate by a foot.

I told the kid to just run the catcher over next time he is blocking the plate.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Apr 4, 2022, 9:15 AM

Totally agree! It is so frustrating! Put the ball in play and put the pressure on the defense!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 4, 2022, 9:20 AM

I’m not gonna say it’s a pattern but we have freshman come in and have outstanding seasons (Grice, Beer,) and then I guess they get coached up and don’t produce nearly as much? Of course baseball geniuses will say the pitchers adjusted to them and shut them down.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 6
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic