Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Wow, Maryland parts ways with Bkball coach Mark Turgeon
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Wow, Maryland parts ways with Bkball coach Mark Turgeon

Dec 3, 2021, 1:50 PM

You rarely see this in college basketball this in mid-season, unlike football where might have it right about 6 games or more, but the Terps have only played a few games.

https://twitter.com/PostSports/status/1466840518927781894?s=20

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wow, Maryland parts ways with Bkball coach Mark Turgeon

Dec 3, 2021, 1:56 PM

He has taken UM to five of the last six NCAA tournaments. Damon Evans the AD who forced him out is the same guy who as the AD at Georgia was stopped for DUI with a hooker in the car.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2021, 1:57 PM

He has been there just as long as Brad Brownell has been at Clemson. I know Maryland is a lot more of a pressure job because it is a strong basketball school but this tweet makes a good point. Sometimes a fresh start is needed. Turgeon had a lot more success than Brad and was expected to at Maryland, but after over a decade if things start middling a new start is needed for both parties. That is why this season and next season is such a key season for Brad to get some consistency, if not both need fresh starts.

https://twitter.com/EricGarment/status/1466840428930605056?s=20

Dec 3, 2021, 2:00 PM

Danny Manning, who had a losing record at WF, has been promoted to fill the job for the remainder of the season.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maryland fans really dislike him and have wanted him gone

Dec 3, 2021, 1:59 PM

for several years now.

Re: Maryland fans really dislike him and have wanted him gone

Dec 3, 2021, 2:00 PM

A lot like Brad here.

Dec 3, 2021, 2:14 PM

Except that Turgeon won there...

Dec 3, 2021, 2:22 PM

And Brad isn’t going to get fired.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What will the Dancing Turgeons do now?

Dec 3, 2021, 2:06 PM [ in reply to Maryland fans really dislike him and have wanted him gone ]

They were very fond of him.

Re: What will the Dancing Turgeons do now?

Dec 3, 2021, 2:15 PM

Sounds like is was more MT than Maryland. Enough is enough. As much as Brad is criticized here by some,it is probably 20 times more what he was dealing with the Maryland fans.

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1466836146617339907?s=20

Some? You’re the first in line to bash CBB

Dec 3, 2021, 3:05 PM

which makes you a hypocrite.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh man, we all know who'll be at the top of their list..

Dec 3, 2021, 2:18 PM

like dealing with all the anxiety about CBV leaving for OU wasn't enough -- now we have to worry about them poaching CBB.

It just never ends.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: Oh man, we all know who'll be at the top of their list..

Dec 3, 2021, 3:11 PM

cutigerbob ... your post was outstanding! I laughed out loud!

Dec 3, 2021, 2:22 PM

I wonder if Maryland is looking to jump to the SEC

Firing their coaches is always a sign since they can never afford them anyhow.

If you were wondering about why Maryland did not like the Turge...

On February 19, 2019, Maryland knocked off #21 Iowa for its first road win against a ranked opponent since January 19, 2008.

They went a DECADE without a road win vs a top opponent. Brad at least had a few during that span...

Dec 3, 2021, 2:27 PM

I had know idea that Brad had a decent record vs ranked teams on the road? I was thinking that most he had were at home?

Dec 3, 2021, 2:33 PM

Nearly all coaches have a horrific record vs top teams on the road. Most are home games but he did knock off a couple away from littlejohn.

"Decent" in brads case would be a win ever other year, sometimes less. Thus it would be like 0.150.. The coaching "greats" like Coach K etc likely have a .400 record against ranked teams on the road.

Dec 3, 2021, 2:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Wow, Maryland parts ways with Bkball coach Mark Turgeon ]

Brad is 1-25 all time against ranked teams on road. A winning percentage of .0384. Just to dispel any notion that Brad has a few or does it every other year or so. That according to the Sports Reference college basketball site that the lists complete schedule and opponents rankings.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jstone D329 - “ It’s ok to want a coaching change”
Brownell @Clemson: 8 seasons ranked 50th or worse by Sports Reference’s SRS
1-29: Brad Brownell road record against ranked ACC opponents
142, 161, 294, 307, 293, 166, 225, 180, 260, 164, 141, 72, 68 - assist rankings amongst all D1 programs during Brownell's tenure

Dec 3, 2021, 2:58 PM

With MT gone at Maryland, here is stat here is schools who have been with their school since 2012 and sweet sixteen appearances:

https://twitter.com/Gerbo3/status/1466856855041413121?s=20

Dec 3, 2021, 3:12 PM

Missing a few... Bennett, K, nose picker.... but I guess that is "recent"

Dec 3, 2021, 3:51 PM

I think that was coaches who were hired in 2010 or around that time.

Dec 3, 2021, 3:09 PM [ in reply to Re: Wow, Maryland parts ways with Bkball coach Mark Turgeon ]

I guess I mixed in some neutrals. I was thinking Florida a few years back but it was "Neutral" in Florida. I also thought the Ohio State win ranked, they were later in the season but not at the time.

Dec 3, 2021, 3:39 PM

I mean, one would think that the winningest overall and winningest in ACC play in our programs history would have done it more than once but oh well.

Going back over these numbers is depressing. It’s also remarkable how increasingly rare ranked games area becoming. Rick Barnes played 11 games against ranked opponents his final season. If the current rankings hold we’ll have played 3 games against ranked opponents this season. The ACC has only one ranked team and is behind the Mountain West and Big East (a conference we supposedly gutted) in RPI standings. This is precisely the kind of season we should be in the thick of things for an ACC title. Sort of like Wake Forest manages to do in football. Just maintain enough quality that when everyone else sucks it is yours for the taking.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jstone D329 - “ It’s ok to want a coaching change”
Brownell @Clemson: 8 seasons ranked 50th or worse by Sports Reference’s SRS
1-29: Brad Brownell road record against ranked ACC opponents
142, 161, 294, 307, 293, 166, 225, 180, 260, 164, 141, 72, 68 - assist rankings amongst all D1 programs during Brownell's tenure

Who do you think would be a current best match

Dec 3, 2021, 3:42 PM

for CU that may be interested? Thinking it’s gotta be a young up and comer. Somebody that can out-recruit the middle of the pack ACC.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2021, 4:06 PM [ in reply to Re: Wow, Maryland parts ways with Bkball coach Mark Turgeon ]

I count 9 games vs ranked teams and 5 were against UNC/Duke (0-5) I think we were 3-6 against that. Even that season Rick Barnes was winless on the road against ranked teams.

Winning against ranked teams on the road is rare but it is a world of difference being at a "also ran" school vs one with a Natty in recent memory (the Turge).

The round robin VS ranked teams could make a schedule harsh or easy depending on the strength of the league. ACC didn't always have 6 ranked teams, some years it might two. But just because there is only two does not mean that Duke or another isn't miles ahead.

This year isn't ours for the taking. This year is more akin to Syracuse's 10-3 run ... a down year but you still had a 15-0 Clemson lurking. Really, the 1990 team might have been your example but all teams were not top 10 either.

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic