Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Without personal attacks, direction for our BB Team
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1

Without personal attacks, direction for our BB Team

Jan 19, 2022, 2:21 PM

A few caviats

Love all Clemson sports and want to win every game/match/competition

Don't dislike Brownell. My positives - good man, good teacher of the game. My negatives - mild temperament/personality (can be positive, but not in our situation, IMHO), recruiting.

In the past, I justified my acceptance of the state of Clemson BB (going to games since '69) for many of the reasons that some on here espouse. We've not been an historically relevant program and support and funding could have been better. I took the somewhat SECish approach (in my mind, not out load) that we lost because the other conference teams were great. Because of my acceptance of the apparent norm, I rationalized that at least we ran a clean program and didn't cheat (yeah, I know, but we sure didn't cheat well enough).

Then we get the UNC AA Classes scandal and Duke paying for Zion (not allegedly) and not so much as a scholarship reduction.

Because of the bright spots I've seen in the past, I believe we can be and should expect to be good and relevant. We have improved facilities and I believe fan support and additional funding will increase relative to (not as a precursor to or result of) improved play, style, coaching and results.

I believe or next steps should be

1) Thank BB for his efforts, recognize his achievements and try to identify a younger coach who can relate to the AAU system, the current generation of players and the evolving transfer/NIL market. I'm not involved enough to identify candidates.

2) Legally buy players. If we can get a program with a chance to evolve and succeed, donors who care about basketball may be able to entice players to give us greater consideration with NIL deals.

If we don't do something different, we will not achieve any different results. If we stay the same, I'm afraid more people will lose a passionate interest and, while rooting for CU, just won't care. That's a lot worse that loving or hating the program.

Go Tigers.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Without personal attacks, direction for our BB Team

Jan 19, 2022, 2:27 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 19, 2022, 2:28 PM

I am in for option 2 or 3. I'll add in another option of keeping brownell for 1 more year. We would need to be a tourney team and win at least 1 game for him to keep his job.

It still cracks me up that Steve smith got fired for trying to line up payment for Zions family. He instantly got hired at FSU. It's pretty obvious FSU is paying recruits.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

no proff but Hamilton gave him another chance...

Jan 19, 2022, 3:11 PM

that is all. He has had very good student athletes play there, but they just happen to be NBA prospects.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 19, 2022, 4:43 PM [ in reply to Re: Without personal attacks, direction for our BB Team ]

Have to say I totally agree with CUJohn. Jmho, the timing with a new AD is right and ripe for a change. I would advocate both men's and women's. The only inkling to keep Amanda is she does have a good class coming in, and her 5th year next year.

As for Brownell, I've been thinking the same as you of sorts. First, it was keep him until upgrades complete. Then it was ok, one good year... Now all of a sudden 12 years have passed and each year, I've thought give him just one more. Unless he turns it around and meets your goal of ncaat and at least one win this season, then thank him and move on.

As for the NIL stuff. That should apply to every sport.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Where’s weslichick?

Jan 19, 2022, 2:51 PM

Banhammer. ??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 5
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic