Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why have I not heard one media person say there should be
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Why have I not heard one media person say there should be

Jun 19, 2021, 10:28 AM

a limit on the number of playoff teams from any one conference. There should have been a limit of one team per conference, with the four team playoff! With a 12 team playoff, there is no way in hail there should be more than three from any one conference!! But we know the SEC are greedy ######## and will never agree to that!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You shouldn't blame the SEC teams for feeling that way

Jun 19, 2021, 10:41 AM

After all, you know they'd all be #1 if they didn't have to play each other.... :)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You shouldn't blame the SEC teams for feeling that way

Jun 19, 2021, 10:45 AM

The sad thing is they will tend to the SEC demands. like they do in every other sport. Prepare for
40%-50% SEC teams. It will be absolutely nauseating.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 19, 2021, 11:51 AM

SEC Invitational. Follow the blue blood money.

Jun 19, 2021, 8:15 PM [ in reply to You shouldn't blame the SEC teams for feeling that way ]

My fav quote: The sec has never lost a bowl game that they cared about. Just thought I’d throw this in. Makes me laugh

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let's see what happens

Jun 19, 2021, 11:54 AM

Unanimity from the Big 5 conferences was required to get things moving. Obviously the SEC would have torpedoed anything with a limit.

I'm OK with it because expansion in almost any form is better than the current 4-team limit IMO.

Keep in mind only 4 teams get a bye and they must be conference champions.

2-3 years after this is implemented, it will be near-unanimous the change was a good thing, similar to the clowns who initially whined when the BCS became the CFP but are silent now.

What irks me badly is NCAA hypocrisy and lying. When the BCS existed, they are argued against a straw man that growing from 2 to 4 teams was "creating an NFL-style playoff" when it clearly wasn't. Now after a few years, not only is there an "NFL-style playoff" coming, it's also an "NFL-style" regular season with 16-17 games for playoff teams.

I'm beginning to think the Big 5 conferences love the dysfunction of the NCAA because it shields them from blame and criticism. They are the matador that uses the NCAA as a cape.

The NFL playoffs are determined on the field, by a clear

Jun 19, 2021, 12:17 PM

set of rules...This will be done in the dark, by a committee

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The NFL playoffs are determined on the field, by a clear

Jun 19, 2021, 4:30 PM

In the NFL, there are only 32 teams and nearly half of them make the playoffs. Divisions are equal and do not have massive competitive advantages over one another each and every year. Nearly half of teams make the playoffs. Creating an objective set of rules isn't hard at all.

Whether the BCS, CFP or any playoff format, a committee must be involved in D1 college football. That is reality. Each year, some conferences have 3-4 (sometimes even 6-7) teams better than the champion of another conference.

I have serious problems with the NFL for a lot of reasons, but the fact their "final four" consisted of backwoods cities Tampa Bay, Green Bay, Kansas City and Buffalo is a credit to their system.

You lost me at Divisions are equal...Look at the NFC West

Jun 19, 2021, 4:56 PM

and the AFC South and tell me they're equal

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You lost me at Divisions are equal...Look at the NFC West

Jun 19, 2021, 5:50 PM

They're a #### of a lot more equal than the SEC and B1G's 14 teams split into divisions, Conference USA's 13 teams split, the MidAmerican and PAC12's 12 teams split, SunBelt's 10 teams split, ACC's 15 teams without a split (last year), Mountain West's 12 without a split, AllAmerica's 11 without a split, Big12's 10 without a split and 5 independents without any affiliation.

Seriously, are you trying to be dense?

Jun 19, 2021, 7:40 PM [ in reply to You lost me at Divisions are equal...Look at the NFC West ]

There are no structural reasons why some NFL teams are better than others. It's the competence of the franchises themselves.

Get it?

In college football, there are structural advantages (due to facilities, alumni, tradition, money, the bag man) that some conferences have vs others that will continue indefinitely. Unless conference schedules are done away with and teams cross-pollinate schedules every year, playoff teams can't be determined strictly "on the field".

Why would the NCAA have anything to do with this?***

Jun 19, 2021, 1:18 PM [ in reply to Let's see what happens ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

There is a 7 team limit.***

Jun 19, 2021, 12:49 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why have I not heard one media person say there should be

Jun 19, 2021, 1:25 PM

It's all a money grab. I was under the mistaken idea that the CFP was to determine the best team in the country, not the best 12. The 4 team playoff was just fine for that. Since the CFP has started which team in the top 12 (or 6) would have beaten the champion ........ none!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Of course it's a money grab. What did you expect?

Jun 19, 2021, 4:42 PM

The whole point is to make as much money as possible. Expanding to 12 not only does that, it makes a lot more teams and fans happy for the opportunity of getting in. It makes ESPN happy to give their talking heads more to blabber about and more bowl games to broadcast that people actually might want to watch.

It also eliminates the threat of the Group of Five conferences filing a lawsuit.

Only losers are the athletes who will have more games to play, particularly ones with NFL potential. They gain nothing except (perhaps) a higher likelihood of being injured and used up. Because of this, I expect more teams to adopt Dabo's approach.

Lastly, I truly believe this will cause the "blueblood" programs (including ours) to vacuum an even higher percentage of elite players as rotations become larger.

Money determines everything.

Re: Why have I not heard one media person say there should be

Jun 19, 2021, 4:28 PM

Simple, it would not be based on winning if there was a limit. If you win enough games you deserve to be in otherwise it would be only a year until some nuts say "let's go to 18 teams". If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic