Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Who has watched Pitt this year?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 3
| visibility 1

Who has watched Pitt this year?

Oct 16, 2021, 1:10 PM

Can you give us a rundown of what to look for on offense and defense? What areas look like a good matchup for us?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Who has watched Pitt this year?

Oct 16, 2021, 1:29 PM

I have a couple od times, but didn't play that close of attention. Their QB looks good. They will be able to move the ball on our D. I don't recall what their D was like.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2021, 1:33 PM

Same Defense. They crowd the line of scrimmage and dare you to throw it. They leave their corners out there by themselves and they play very aggressively.

Offense. They sling the ball all over the field. They take several shots downfield. Early and often. They try to be balanced with the run but they are a much better passing team.

Passing

Glossary
Passing
Rk Player G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
1 Kenny Pickett 5 121 168 72.0 1731 10.3 12.3 19 1 194.

Message was edited by: baker5801®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2021, 3:01 PM

I don't know that we really have a good matchup on this team. Here is a rundown.

Pittsburgh:
Scoring Offense - #1 (52.4 ppg)
Total Offense - #3 (554 yards per game)
Passing Offense - #4 (389 yards per game)
Rushing Offense - #66 (165 yards per game)
Scoring Defense - #50 (22.6 ppg)
Total Defense - #40 (338 yards per game)
Passing Defense - #79 (236 yards per game)
Rushing Defense - #20 (102.2 yards per game)

Clemson -
Scoring Offense - #112 (20.5 ppg (if you erase SC State, it's actually just under 14 ppg, #129))
Total Offense - #117 (325 yards per game)
Passing Offense - #110 (180 yards per game)
Rushing Offense - #84 (145.2 yards per game)
Scoring Defense - #3 (12.5 ppg)
Total Defense - #27 (318 yards per game)
Passing Defense - #40 (201 yards per game)
Rushing Defense - #32 (116 yards per game)

Clemson has had a harder schedule up to this point. Pitt has played GT (52-21), New Hampshire (77-7), Western Michigan (41-44), Tennessee (41-34), and Massachusetts (51-7). I would say that makes a difference on the edges.

Pitt likes to air the ball out, and averages at least one 50 yard passing play a game. Their receivers have some speed, especially Jordan Addison and Taysin Mack, who both average over 18 yards per reception. They also have a good tight end named Lucas Krull (6'6", 260 pounds) who acts as a safety valve. More importantly, they have Kenny Pickett at QB. I don't know that he's an NFL talent, but he's extremely accurate and makes good decisions with the ball. He has the highest QB rating in the country, completing 72% of his passes for 1,731 yards, 19 touchdowns, and 1 interception. They don't make their running game a priority, but use three backs at times to keep teams honest, and they average around 4.5 ypc.

Defensively, Pitt has one of the best defensive lines in college football like us. Narduzzi has been very good at developing defensive linemen, and while they lost 2 All-Americans to the draft last year, they return one pre-season All-American and two upperclassmen defensive ends who are very talented. Pro football focus ranked them as the #8 defensive line before the season, and they've played like it. They also have a very good linebacker class, with two preseason first team All-ACC backers in Cam Bright and Sirvocea Dennis. These units work well together, and Pitt has the #20 rushing defense, #14 in yards per attempt, and has gotten to opposing QBs 18 times. However, Pitt doesn't have very good corners, and accurate QBs can exploit that if they can manage the blitz Narduzzi likes to run. Kaleb Eleby did that in the Western Michigan game, throwing for 337 yards and 3 touchdowns (he's one of the best QBs in his G5 conference).

So basically, in order to beat Pitt, defensively, you have to slow the passing attack and force them to try to run against you (that's the only reason Tennessee hung in there is they forced 45 rushing attempts). Offensively, you have to be able to win in the passing game and pick on their undersized, 3 Star and below secondary. Unfortunately, we have been weaker against good vertical passing games the past 3 years, and this year in particular. Venables has expressed concern that our defense has been bend don't break, allowing yardage, but then stopping them in our territory. This would be a huge problem against Pitt, who is extremely explosive. On the other side of the ball, our biggest promise to date has been the rushing game, while our passing game is the worst in the P5. As far as actual matchups, I do think our wide receivers match up well with their corners, as well as our defensive line against their offensive line.

TLDR: We don't match up very well in any aspect of the game, but we do have far more "talent", theoretically, than their team. I don't predict a blowout either way, but would favor them as most metrics do in another painful game (maybe 24-17?)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 3
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic