Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Who does better in the MLB?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Who does better in the MLB?

May 31, 2023, 10:35 PM

Out of Will Taylor, Cam C., or Caden Grice.

These are the best 3 players right now. Or the most athletic.

It may seem unfair to leave Amick out, but he still needs polishing at first base. It can happen, but the 3 I stated have shown absolute 100% Professional overall play.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll put my money on Canarella...he's only a freshman!***

May 31, 2023, 10:41 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'll put my money on Canarella...he's only a freshman!***

May 31, 2023, 10:58 PM

I hate it, but I agree. He’s the most natural player I’ve seen since probably Logan Davidson. Maybe Khalil Greene. Caden is one of the best pitchers in the ACC though. It’s something that should’ve been unlocked long ago under Monte. But his velocity at the moment isn’t really big league level. Taylor has shown lots of improvement in consistency in the outfield, but still could get better.

If there’s anything the scouts are looking for, it’s a CF with elite speed and elite contact. I don’t know his strikeout numbers, but he never does.

May 31, 2023, 11:17 PM

Announcer last game said Grice hit 95 MPH on a pitch- that’s a bit better than several veteran guys I have seen recently

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 31, 2023, 11:34 PM

Didn’t know this happened. I’ve always only seen him reach about 92. I know he’s ready for the minors hitting wise, but now that flips my mind.

95 is actually better than needed at his age. Strider was about 96-97 at Clemson. Grice may be able to reach 100 eventually. If that happens, I can’t say he’s not the best.

I just haven’t seen a single flaw in Cannarella. Not one thing has been bad this year. Through 60 games, he has been nothing but perfect.

Spencer strider

Jun 1, 2023, 2:55 PM [ in reply to Re: I'll put my money on Canarella...he's only a freshman!*** ]

Was hitting 93-95 mph while at clemson. Now he is dotting corners at 100 mph. Mlb pitching coaches will get him there. Especially with his size and frame

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Experts may agree.

May 31, 2023, 11:36 PM

They may disagree. Opinions are like bungholes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And farts

Jun 1, 2023, 3:13 PM

Most of them stink

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Who does better in the MLB?

May 31, 2023, 11:43 PM

Honestly, it doesn't matter. No Clemson player is projected first round. I know it's a fun topic, I would say will Taylor, but we're the only people that think our top players are 1st rounders. Some of the high school players, pitching at Tennessee and Wake, we need be level. If that's on anyone's mind right now we're in trouble.

But to answer, I think Taylor has a chance to be Treated Turner category

May 31, 2023, 11:44 PM

Trea*

May 31, 2023, 11:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Who does better in the MLB? ]

Will Taylor was the #22 overall prospect and a 1st round projection out of high school. He made the right choice because he was bobbling balls in early in the season.

I don’t really know what way our players aren’t seen as top tier players. We’re in one of the best parts of the nation for talent, and have lots of history. We usually don’t have multiple 1st round talents on teams though, it’s usually one guy. But we still have them.

May 31, 2023, 11:55 PM

I've mentioned Will Taylor in other posts. He should've declared when he was top 20 in prospect. I commend him for wanting to try football, but stick to baseball and get the bank.

We are having a great year, but I follow MLB and the draft very closely. We don't have any top tier talent based on draft value. We have a great group of players. Not sure why that makes me look like less of a fan, it's just the truth. We can win the CWS this year. But show me an article where multiple Clemson players are projected top picks.

I know it's hard to separate college and pro for some, but we are not filled with elite 1st round picks. I know you post daily about how elite we are, but how about make the CWS before we crown the accomplishments of this team as you have done prematurely imo

Jun 1, 2023, 12:47 AM

Okay this is understandable, but exactly what areas of Cam’s game would place him under the category of top tier? Will also should really stick to baseball. Given his situation of being better in baseball, the risks that football and tackling brings is nothing to be messed up with. He’s already had one injury I believe.

Cam C.
- ACC Freshamn of the year
- Led ACC in stolen bases
- .400 average the whole year
- Hit 421 ft HR in ACC Championship game

There are numerous stats I can provide for you that qualify these guys as top tier.

Several more things here..

The top half of the RPI is loaded with SEC and ACC teams. The best 2 conferences this year, and a lot of years honestly. No doubt the SEC is more loaded with talent, but the ACC is not that far behind. Just look at Wake Forest.

You need to take our strength of schedule into consideration when evaluating these players. Like you say you do because you follow the draft closely. I do as well, many people do. And as a matter of fact, even with a top-3 SOS, our players looked as if they were hitting in batting practice the entire last 2 months. And it was mostly by Caden, Will, and Cam, and Amick.

Lastly, is the fact that we have won 16 games in a row not enough reason to celebrate accomplishments? From a fan’s position. Of course not with the team, they’re focused on getting to Omaha. But it’s obvious you need some more appreciation for winning. 1st year coach winning the ACC Championship and getting a #4 overall host seed. Yeah I’m completely satisfied with what we’ve done.

And if we don’t reach Omaha, it has still been a season that has put everyone on notice for how good Erik will be.

But this team will be in Omaha. You can count on it. Nothing has seemed to break the contagiousness of the hitting.

Paul Skenes and Rhett Lowder are the only 2 pitchers in the nation I am worried about in the slightest. And even they would not stand 3 times through the lineup. I know Lowder did good against us, but it likely is different now.

Jun 1, 2023, 12:53 AM

I understand exactly what you mean, friend. I'm just saying, I don't see any of our guys in the top couple of rounds in the draft. Our team is playing well, elite. Scouts don't consider that. I'm agreeing with you on how good we are this year but disagreeing on pro status. We may have a handful of MLB starters at the end of the day.

It's almost impossible to get ahead of these high school prospects that can learn in the system and minor league. Our SOS is impressive but no scout is going to look at us over an SEC similar and give him the edge. Just reality. We can win the CWS.

1st rounders? Probably not. Everything you listed about Cam, someone is compiling a similar list but saying their finished product, as a high schooler is better for the league.

Jun 1, 2023, 3:34 AM

Caden is the only draft eligible one out of the 3 I mentioned. And again, apparently he needs some more polishing because he’s not in any first round in most of the mock drafts and prospects.

If Cam continues to improve defensively, which he is already elite at, and increase his speed a little, he’ll be a first round selection.

Will already has the build for any level of any sport. Insanely athletic. He has been on a tear and honestly should be noticed so much more. I’d like to eventually see him in a position where athleticism is needed more. He’ll probably stay in left field with Cam having 2 more years, but Will looks like a center fielder too. I’m sure with his natural ability, he could learn shortstop or second base. He does lack height a little. But that has a minuscule effect.

It’s just about our player development in my mind. There’s pro talent all around SC, we just didn’t have a coach to get the true abilities out of our best players.

We’ve had some pitchers that could throw 95+ under Monte, and only few were drafted and are succeeding. Although Spencer Strider is probably already the best pitcher Clemson has ever produced MLB wise.

And you may be right, Clemson baseball isn’t based on individuals, it’s based on team play like small ball and fundamentals and energy, and everything else falls into place. But that’s the best way to develop obviously, so maybe Bakich being the right guy will turn things around with our prospects.

Jun 1, 2023, 3:51 AM [ in reply to Re: Who does better in the MLB? ]

I understand exactly what you mean, friend. I'm just saying, I don't see any of our guys in the top couple of rounds in the draft. Our team is playing well, elite. Scouts don't consider that. I'm agreeing with you on how good we are this year but disagreeing on pro status. We may have a handful of MLB starters at the end of the day.

It's almost impossible to get ahead of these high school prospects that can learn in the system and minor league. Our SOS is impressive but no scout is going to look at us over an SEC similar and give him the edge. Just reality. We can win the CWS.

1st rounders? Probably not. Everything you listed about Cam, someone is compiling a similar list but saying their finished product, as a high schooler is better for the league.

You realize that Cam and Taylor are not draft eligible right? That’s why they aren’t on any draft boards.

Jun 2, 2023, 6:26 PM

Lol yes I realize that. You guys love to act like you know everything. There are also 2024 prospect and draft rankings and you will find them in in hundreds not near the top. HTH

Jun 1, 2023, 6:55 AM [ in reply to Re: Who does better in the MLB? ]

Doesn’t make you less of a fan just clueless when addressing baseball talent

Jun 2, 2023, 6:26 PM

Interesting, tell me where I'm wrong? Sounds like you have no idea about the baseball world outside of Clemson.

Jun 1, 2023, 11:29 AM

Grice. Curious to see how Cannarella develops physically after a year of offseason weight training.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Jun 1, 2023, 11:37 AM

Cam definitely. Baseball is so hard to judge though. Examples of Strider and Benson. Who would we thought would have had a better career? Seth Beer and Khalil Greene, I thought they both were going to be megastars.

Who put the "L" in BrowneLL

Jun 1, 2023, 1:37 PM

Seth Beer won the Duck Howser and kind of was a megastar. Never made it to Omaha so he didn’t get as much recognition.

But yes Cam I agree.

Jun 2, 2023, 12:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Who does better in the MLB? ]

Khalil Greene was the baddest man to ever put on a Clemson baseball uniform and it's not even close. Had he been able to get his anxiety in check, he would have been a perennial all-star. He was promoted through the minors at warp speed when that was not the norm for first rounders. It is way more common to see that accelerated promotion rate in MLB in this era. At the time he was an anomaly. Which probably exasperated his anxiety.

I would pick Cam. Unless Grice can figure out how to hit a

Dec 4, 2018, 2:47 PM

breaking pitch, he has no shot. Major league pitchers are not going to get stupid like college ones do, and feed him fastballs. (At least, not ones without movement.)

Taylor is a definite pro candidate, he can hit for average, and field a position. He is finally showing the prowess that made him a high draft pick out of high school. I just hope he doesn't get injured again playing football.

Cam Cannarella is off to an amazing start. If he just does not tinker with his batting style, he seems like an on-base hitting machine. And, he has a lot of range in the outfield. He will be an intriguing pro prospect for sure when the time comes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 1, 2023, 2:07 PM

Does Grice project as a pitcher or position player in the MLB?

Jun 1, 2023, 3:28 PM

Scouts are actually split on how they view his positioning. It’s not really determined yet I guess.

I really believe he should pursue pitching and hitting. Grice has received Ohtani comparisons, but the brakes need to be pumped heavily on that for now.

Grice is the prototypical baseball player that you would create in a video game. 6’6 pitcher and hitter with power.

His strikeout rate is indeed a little high, but I feel like that’s just part of his hitting style. He’ll adjust to breaking balls in the minors.

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/sports/college/clemson/2023/05/31/caden-grice-clemson-baseball-ncaa-tournament-regional-mlb-draft-2023/70260958007/

Here’s a good article about it.

Jun 1, 2023, 2:35 PM

Cam is a young Shoeless Joe. He is a natural in CF and at the plate.

Not to say Grice and Taylor can't do well either.

Message was edited by: saddis56®

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 2, 2023, 6:29 PM

Grice if he can throw strikes in the mid 90s from the left side.

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic