Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
When it comes to academics, does a university have ANY responsibility to hold athletes to standards?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

When it comes to academics, does a university have ANY responsibility to hold athletes to standards?

Oct 16, 2021, 10:54 AM

If the assertion that an SAT/ACT minimum requirement constitutes institutional racism is true, then aren’t all objective academic minimum standards inherently racist as well? Minimum eligibility standards for athletes are already substantially lower than university admission standards for non-athletes.

These minimum academic requirements would be MUCH less palatable in the context of an institution that isn’t, ya know, academic by its very nature…but I think we can all see that college athletics, especially football, now exists as an industry nearly distinct from the academic institutions from which it was born.

At what point does the NCAA stop pretending to care about academics and just formally establish a US semi-pro sports empire?

The other GLARING problem with these woeful policies is the assertion that racial minorities need protections from such oppressions as minimum test scores, as if ethnicity equates to categorical ineptitude. I can’t think of a more racist position than to assume the failure of an entire people group based on race/ethnicity. How fundamentally prejudicial these high-brow “problem solvers” are. Removal of all standards makes it easier to conceal their dangerous biases.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/32405869/ncaa-task-force-recommends-removing-minimum-standardized-test-scores-effort-advance-racial-equity

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS

Typical liberals at work.

Oct 16, 2021, 11:01 AM

They are doing this because, on the surface (which is as far as most people will look), it looks like they care about being inclusive…and all the things that sound nice.

But in reality (which only about half the country is in touch with), they are doing minorities a terrible disservice.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Typical liberals at work.

Oct 16, 2021, 11:07 AM

The soft bigotry of low expectations.
Trying as hard as they can to keep them in bondage.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Yep.***

Oct 16, 2021, 12:25 PM

Now, let’s just lower the credit score needed for a 0% car loan.

Oct 16, 2021, 11:12 AM

Since we’re want everybody equal.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Now, let’s just lower the credit score needed for a 0% car loan.

Oct 16, 2021, 3:27 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS

SAT standards

Oct 16, 2021, 11:12 AM

NIL causes all of this. The slippery slope here is steep, frictionless, and we are halfway to the bottom already. When the athletes are amateurs participating in sports while getting an education and not being financially rewarded, it is difficult to show how excluding low testers causes monetary damages to those individuals. With NIL, a kid just out of law school can argue that the university prevented his client from receiving significant financial benefits for reasons of unlawful discrimination. The universities are not going to accept that litigation risk. College football is pro football now. I see no sequence of events where this ends well.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lowering Standards For Athletes is Wrong We Should Just Give

Oct 16, 2021, 11:17 AM

The academically gifted kids Traumatic Brain Injuries at age 15. Then we can all be equal.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Removing academic standards has worked so well in public schools. ??????????

Oct 16, 2021, 11:59 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

High stakes standardized tests were never the way to go to

Oct 16, 2021, 12:06 PM

begin with if we are being honest. That's a long conversation that has nothing to do with race though.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I respect that position and would be generally interested in such an informed debate,

Oct 16, 2021, 12:15 PM

but NCAA is tethering it, like it or not, to race.

And there are TONS of IEP provisions to aid in truly standardizing aptitude tests respective of various learning disabilities/diagnoses, among which race should never, ever belong.

GO TIGERS

I have to say I agree with everything you said.

Oct 16, 2021, 12:18 PM

I have to pick a topic for my Ph.D. thesis soon. Something along these lines seems really interesting to me.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Would be a fascinating thing to study,

Oct 16, 2021, 12:20 PM

especially in light of the trending emphasis on “grit” as a better predictor of future success than aptitude tests, etc.

GO TIGERS

Exactly!

Oct 16, 2021, 12:28 PM

For my master's capstone, I worked on using a computer program to help minority math scores. The scoring wasn't the real issue though. It was the family life, the defeatist attitude, hunger, etc etc.

As an educator, you want to do anything you can to help a struggling student and you feel a bit powerless when you fail which I did a lot of...

Isn't the proposal just telling minorities hey we know you

Oct 16, 2021, 12:07 PM

can't do well on a test? How insulting and racist is that?

Just remove the football programs from the classrooms and stop the charade.

The issue has more to do with socioeconomics

Oct 16, 2021, 12:11 PM

if we aligned the lower standards across ANYONE in a bad financial position (not just minorities), I think we might get more consensus. Be really hard to do but in theory, I think it would be a good idea.

That’s certainly debatable…and FAR more reasonable than the NCAA’s suggestion here.

Oct 16, 2021, 12:18 PM

It’s racist on its very face.

GO TIGERS

The age old question is what do you do to break the cycle

Oct 16, 2021, 12:23 PM

the simple fact that many minorities were late to US land-owning stemmed into a socioeconomic mess. Does it mean some poor white dude living in a trailer in Walhalla doesn't need help either tho? I get all the arguments. I don't have any answers either sadly.

It’s not that you don’t have any answers,

Oct 16, 2021, 1:01 PM

it’s that you don’t have enough influence on the thought patterns and cultural norms that perpetuate underachievement despite these times being the absolute most level playing field in all of history for ethnic minorities in this country and in the world.

The changes must come from strength within these ethnic communities. Large portions of Asian American and Indian American communities have seen their cultural commitments to diligence, achievement, “grit,”etc. translate to becoming the highest paid demographics in the United States, for example. While high pay is not necessarily the ultimate metric for success, it is certainly not unimportant.

GO TIGERS

Carlin on lowering test scores, funny stuff!!

Oct 16, 2021, 12:31 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNXHSMmaq_s

It’s a joke.

Oct 16, 2021, 3:36 PM

Collegiate sports, especially football and men’s basketball, have lost their way.

It’s no longer about students who go to college for an education and who also happen to want to play a sport. It’s about athletes who are students mostly/only because it allows them to play a sport. It’s an important distinction.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic