GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNETs™ to grant this post a special award and grant the author bonus TNETs™!

Love Love Love!
monetization_on 1000
Quality Content
monetization_on 1000
Big Fish
monetization_on 1000
Hmm
monetization_on 1000
Flammable
monetization_on 1000
Caring
monetization_on 1000
Nom Nom Nom
monetization_on 1000
Ooo, Shiny!
monetization_on 1000
Hear ye, hear ye
monetization_on 1000
Cheers
monetization_on 1000
Bravo
monetization_on 500
Grats
monetization_on 1000
Take My Coins
monetization_on 1000
Great Idea!
monetization_on 1000
Nope
monetization_on 1000

YOUR BALANCE
monetization_on
What about the non-revenue sports?
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic
Replies: 10  

What about the non-revenue sports?

[2]
Jul 5, 2022, 8:55 PM

Just curious with all of this conference realignment, is this for every sport or just football?

Seems like schools will be wasting a ton of money sending non-revenue teams all over the country.

2022 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link

Re: What about the non-revenue sports?

[4]
Jul 5, 2022, 8:56 PM

that’s kinda the point. Schools are wanting the huge payday to offset the cost of the nonrevenue sports.

A move to the SEC or BIG would bring in an extra 50 million a year. Say it cost only an extra 5 million for travel, there’s a big payday left over.

2022 white level member flag link

^ This.

[1]
Jul 5, 2022, 9:02 PM

And the power swing that could change the ability of some conferences to compete for titles. People tend to get hung up on how much money football gets, but there are many other issues to consider.

2022 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Ah, I see. I was thinking of like an LA team flying to the

[1]
Jul 5, 2022, 9:05 PM

midwest every week... that's gotta add up. But if the payout can make up for it then I guess that makes sense.

Forget about the cost...what about when Penn State's

Jul 5, 2022, 10:14 PM

volleyball team travels to LA on a Tuesday....So,do they leave the east coast at say 1 pm, and 5 hours or so later land in LA where it is now 6pm EST,but 3PM PST,wait until 6pm PST to play (now 9pm EST),get to the hotel after the game at 9PM PST (midnight EST),and fly back the next morning...Or do they stay 4 or 5 days until they can play both USC and UCLA before flying back? I just don't see how it is going to work out for anything other than football where you only play one game a week....

flag link

Nintendo or X-box games online?!

[2]
Jul 5, 2022, 8:59 PM

The cross-country schedules for the non-revenue sports are going to be non-existent on weekdays.

flag link

Jul 5, 2022, 9:22 PM

A conference is a conference and that is why basketball and women's sports make such a big difference.

flag link

Biggest negative financial impact will be on the...

Jul 5, 2022, 9:30 PM

...fans who travel to away games. It's about to become impossible for average joes and janes to afford to travel no matter which sport.

2022 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

Re: Biggest negative financial impact will be on the...

Jul 5, 2022, 10:13 PM

But the average Hollister and Buffy will still be fine.

Jul 5, 2022, 9:32 PM

Your question is important, not just to the teams that end up in the two mega conferences, but also very important to the teams that get left out of the two mega conferences.

Will teams outside of the two mega conferences have an ability to generate respectable revenue from football?

If not, how will they fund their non-revenue sports?

I recognize we might soon have two mega conferences (SEC big10) but after operating in that format for some period of time, I think the folks that buy the media rights (ESPN Fox Apple or whoever) will drive the two mega conferences into including most of the current power five institutions into one nationwide league much like the current NFL model. One league, four conferences, two divisions each conference. Win your division, win your conference, go to the playoffs, eat what you kill.

In the long run this is a choice between:
1) two mega conferences which is a zero sum game in which everybody fights for their portion of the current pie OR …….
2) if the media companies and the athletic directors have the balls and vision they will build a nationwide league consisting of 60 or so schools in the current power five, thus building a much bigger pie instead of fighting over pieces of the much smaller current model.

Zero sum or vision and growth.

flag link

Jul 5, 2022, 10:04 PM

Think about the families of some of these kids. I know people that travel, one way, around 5 hours, twice a week, to watch their daughter play Div 3 soccer.

Coast to coast travel would be a deal breaker.

flag link

Replies: 10  

TIGER TICKETS

FB GAME: Furman
FOR SALE: 2 tickets for sale asking face value. Section: D Row: Y Seats: 30,32 venmo or Zelle only fo...

Buy or Sell CU Tickets and More in Tiger Tickets!

Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic
625 people have read this post