Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Well the Va Tech hire ought to really get
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Well the Va Tech hire ought to really get

Nov 30, 2021, 10:01 PM

The fans excited, wow…

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well it got their fans fired up and unified about one thing …

Nov 30, 2021, 10:03 PM

Now they want to fire the AD!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Well it got their fans fired up and unified about one thing …

Dec 1, 2021, 8:34 AM

Where are you getting this from? I've seen nothing that even resembles that on any VT board posted by a Hokie. Pry isn't a sexy hire. Was Dabo at the time?

I'm not comparing the two, That would be silly, but the point remains the same. This guy has coached at VT before, the ex-players for VT came back in droves in support of him, and the message boards are warming up to him more and more and we learn more about him. He's a solid guy with a good coaching pedigree and sustained success wherever he has been.

Sure, Matt Campbell would have been great. So would have Napier. VT is a decent to good landing spot. Oklahoma and Florida are better ones at the moment. Facts are facts. Florida got Napier, and when Riley left OU, the price for Campbell went way up, and we just paid Fuente $8.75 million to leave. Kelly opening up Notre Dame did VT no favors, either in regards to Campbell.

I'm excited. He values in state recruiting, something Fuente didn't. Beamer #### near won a NC with predominately Virginia kids, and while that isn't probably feasible nowadays, there is an awful lot of talent leaving the state, with quite a bit of it coming to you guys over the years. Your defensive line has been littered with Virginia kids over the years.

I think this turns out to be a really good hire. His staff will be important. So far, I like what I see.

Re: Well it got their fans fired up and unified about one thing …

Dec 1, 2021, 9:23 AM

Actually, Franklin's Ped State rebuilt using Virginia kids.... ok, NoVa kids.

VT is in a tough spot recruiting, Bleaksburg is bleak. I am a RVa Virgnia kid, most of my family are Hokies. GC says hi, ALL of my wife's family is from SWVa and on the 81. You could not convenience me to go to VaTech. I was going to UT before Clemson made me a better deal and that was all academic too.

The tidewater area 7 was an unmined gem of a recruiting base. Beamer found it. However, you now have everyone else knowing it and other schools, say like Clemson recruit heavily in both the 757 and RVa. VA is just poached far to much by other schools and VaTech has a harder sell than other "bigger" programs like UT or PedState. You have that much gravity and fewer recruiting fields. The loss in the "Bristol bowl" hurt Fuente in perception. Add in the re-rise of UVA and yeah, Fuente just did not have enough momentum.

Post beamer, I am not worried about Tech. They finally had a successful legacy coach and that does more good longterm for a program than anything even if it is a bit rough post legacy. Clemson took a while to move on from Howard and basically every other successful program has that. Even the Welshes or Snyders do more at bottom programs even if the programs are not world beaters. Very few programs are successful without a legacy somewhere (for failures, see NC State, Coot, UNC).

Re: Well the Va Tech hire ought to really get

Nov 30, 2021, 10:11 PM

Good hire

Nov 30, 2021, 10:24 PM

Who would excite you (or the fans) at VT? They went with the hot G5 coach last time and it didn’t work out. Guy seems like a very good DC and recruiter.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 30, 2021, 10:32 PM

I mean I don’t know maybe a name like Matt Campbell or fleck … or maybe throw some money at fickel right off the top of my head… they have so much potential and that hire just doesn’t do anything especially after the Fuentes era … they could have gone out and got bigger name … hopefully it works out I’m just saying what a snooze hire for them and their fans

Dec 1, 2021, 12:37 AM

Hard to throw money when you don't have it.

Dec 1, 2021, 4:55 AM

Could be the case , I find it hard to believe but also am not goin to act like I know VA Tech financial standing either … but seems like a lot of other schools are spending it regardless and I have confidence that they could spend in that 5-6 mill range and get a pretty legit name… it has to be an attractive job

Dec 1, 2021, 5:45 AM

We hired a former real estate turned Wide Receivers coach who had never even been a coordinator. People focus too much on the experience instead of the person.

Our AD was smart

Dec 1, 2021, 9:33 AM

and had been closely observing Dabo as a coach for 6 years.

That’s a lot different than taking a chance on someone with an external hire.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, you won't be able to Pry them out of their seats!

Dec 1, 2021, 10:24 AM

Sorry.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic