Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
We really missed a chance to keep Coach V by not exploring a
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 4,276

We really missed a chance to keep Coach V by not exploring a

Dec 6, 2021, 3:53 PM

co-head coaching paradigm at CU. This is starting to be more common in the corporate world, so why wouldn't it work for college footabll? This would have given BV the head coaching opportunity he wanted while still remaining at Clemson. I think Dabo would have been happy to share the load with a guy he respects and trust, and the division of labor wouldn't have been that hard to work out. Put this up there with NIL and transfer portal for how our program is not innovating at the clip we need in order to be successful.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We really missed a chance to keep Coach V by not exploring a

Dec 6, 2021, 4:06 PM

Yea, and maybe Brent decided he wanted to be his own Head coach or go back to where his kids were born and raised.
Or why should Dabo want to give up his changes of adding to "his "legacy? It's like a co MVP .Who get the car?
So if we really missed the chance as you suggest , I suggest you be the one to tell that face to face with both men.

Both men would get the car. Or Brent a boat and Dabo a

Dec 6, 2021, 4:09 PM

Mustang. Whatever each wanted. We have the booster money.

Re: Both men would get the car. Or Brent a boat and Dabo a

Dec 6, 2021, 4:19 PM

Not co-head coach but associate head coach.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 6, 2021, 6:18 PM

Brent was already associate head coach when he left.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Dec 6, 2021, 4:31 PM [ in reply to Both men would get the car. Or Brent a boat and Dabo a ]

I seriously doubt that the co boss thing is most effective in the business world. It sounds like a PC approach because somebody has to make final decisions and assume responsibilities. I certainly did during my career.

Remember the "coach in waiting" thing that some teams had a few years back, and none had good long term results.

Dec 6, 2021, 4:36 PM

https://hbr.org/2020/09/is-ceo-a-two-person-job

"The truth is the archetype of the omnipotent CEO — the lone commander atop the corporate pyramid — is increasingly a relic of 20th century management thinking. There are some notable exceptions: Founders like Jeff Bezos, Elon Musk, and Mark Zuckerberg still command and control. But in our research with the American Psychological Association, we’ve found that for most mere mortals, it’s simply too hard to go it alone. The modern business landscape is too fast-moving and the demands on a CEO have become too innumerable for a single person to set an organization’s strategic direction and oversee a multitude of internal decisions, all while acting as its public face to stakeholders."

THIS IS FROM HARVARD.

Re: Don't think so

Dec 6, 2021, 4:21 PM

I don't think DS NOR BV wanted that. Why would we pursue that ?

Dec 6, 2021, 4:22 PM

This is fullishness! Show some respect for Dabo would you?! He is THE head coach.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Amen

Dec 6, 2021, 4:29 PM

Thumbs up Sir.

If you're trying to rationalize this through the traditional

Dec 6, 2021, 4:35 PM [ in reply to Re: We really missed a chance to keep Coach V by not exploring a ]

program module it ain't gonna work boss. You have to think outside the box. CHANGE the paradigm. And if it works in Fortune 500 companies, it could work for lil ol Clemson. Think about it:

Dabo has always been more visionary than Coach. He saw what Clemson could be, and by golly he made it happen. Under the co-head coach construct, he'd still retain this role and have more freedom to pursue it. Meanwhile, Head Coach V would likely control more of the nuts and bolts of the program, with expanded duties beyond coordinator. As college football programs expand to become basically their own little corporate enterprises (with yearly revenue that actually does dwarf most businesses outside of the mega corporations), this is the future of college football. I'm calling it now. Come back to this post in 5 years and you'll see that I'm right.

Unfortunately we missed this opportunity but the first school that figures it out is going to keep top talent and start cleaning up Natties.

Re: If you're trying to rationalize this through the traditional

Dec 6, 2021, 4:44 PM

Put the crack pipe down, "boss"!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Get with the times, chief! These aren't Danny Ford's days.

Dec 6, 2021, 6:05 PM

We need to evolve, innovate, and execute.

Dec 6, 2021, 6:01 PM

I am glad to see B.V. get the head job at Oklahoma. If you truly respect someone, you don't try to hold them back. If Dabo truly is on the level of Saban, he will navigate us through this successfully. The truly legendary head coaches have their system and plug coordinators into it. B.V. had his system and in many ways overshadowed Dabo. This is Dabos opportunity to truly establish himself as one of the truly great coaches.

This paradigm shift would have been PREFECT for their dynami

Dec 6, 2021, 6:09 PM

Brent, the nuts and bolts guy. Dabo, the visionary. I won't try to think too much on how great this could have been because I'll start yelling and my wife doesn' tlike that. But come on! Recruits would have loved this. It would have been a promotion for Coach V, and a needed expansion of opportunity for Dabo.

Like I said. Maybe this is too visionary for right now, but I bet you good money we see something like this come up within 5 years. Maybe 3. If I had a guess, the first program to do this will be A&M.

How much does a “nuts &bolts” guy get paid? Does Dabo just

Dec 6, 2021, 6:26 PM

split his HC salary with him?

Or do we ante up for TWO head coach salaries? Like that’s going to happen.

Venables was already making as much money as many head coaches across the country. And he was in charge of all the “nuts & bolts” on the defensive side of the ball. What other “nuts & bolts” would see Brent Venables taking over?

Do you really think Clemson could have enticed him to stay by asking Dabo to relinquish part of his position?

Your plan sounds like a great way to lose both Brent Venables *and* Dabo Swinney.

That wasn’t what you wanted ... was it?

The money is there.

Dec 6, 2021, 6:57 PM

And OF COURSE you don't force this paradigm on them. But I bet if the opportunity was presented to them, they would have taken it. Dabo heads recruiting, program building, and the overall vision for the program. Vanables gets to execute on BOTH sides of the ball. Maybe two coaches is a little overkill now, but the landscape of college football is changing and it is better to start evolving NOW rather than being a Larry Later.

Is that like being Assistant to the Regional Manager?

Dec 6, 2021, 6:20 PM

Dec 6, 2021, 6:33 PM

When there are two bosses there is no boss. Really like Brent but there are other people that can coach defense. Dabo is the only head coach that we need imo.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Buddy you're looking at a square from a round hole and

Dec 6, 2021, 7:01 PM

not seeing all the corners. This is a new paradigm. Both men of equal authority controlling different aspects of the program. Imagine what Dabo could do if he was freed from the responsibility of the nuts and bolts. Recruiting OFF THE CHART. Facilities OFF THE CHART. Motivating our guys on and off the field OFF. THE. CHART.

Meanwhile we'd have to hire a couple more hold-back coaches as Venables gets UNLEASHED on both sides of the ball. Schemes coming from the left, right, and round the corner.

THIS IS CLEMSON FOOTBALL OF THE FUTURE BABY.

I love your passion

Dec 6, 2021, 7:59 PM

And applaud you for thinking differently. You may be right that this comes into play at a program somewhere in the near future. Keep dreaming big.

Replies: 20
| visibility 4,276
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic