Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Vietnam - Shammers
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

Vietnam - Shammers

May 15, 2021, 7:31 AM

What is that? Don't know where Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs got the name but in Nam, that's what we called guys who tried to avoid going into the field by faking illness or injury - and some were pretty darn good at it. I have told the story about how several guys faked heat exhaustion going up a mountain and being choppered away, leaving the rest of us to carry their ruck sacks and rifles to the point that my platoon had to refuse to obey a direct order to continue up the mountain. One guy had become so obvious in his fake illnesses that we started ignoring his claims and made him stay in the field with us. After that, he actually started injuring himself when we were on a base ( when nobody was looking) just enough to require some medical attention so he could disappear to the aid station just before we were scheduled to leave for the jungle. We think one of his attempts to avoid duty went terribly wrong as he was assigned to "burn the shittters" (this was a nasty task sometimes reserved for punishment where a guy had to pull the barrels that caught the unbelievably smelly human waste in the outhouses on remote firebases and burn the contents with gasoline) and somehow caught his jungle fatigue pants on fire and had severe burns to his lower legs. He did get an extended time in an in-country hospital but eventually had to return to the field with us. We always thought he had intended to cause minor burns just bad enough to stay in the rear and over did it - just a little more and his shamming days would have been over for good.

Message was edited by: clover65®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm going to Vietnam in October with a group called

May 15, 2021, 8:16 AM

Vets With a Mission. Schedule includes Saigon/HCM City, Hue, Hanoi, and a few others. Is there anywhere you'd like me to get a "what's it like now" photo? If so, tmail me.

Full disclosure...I'm not a Vietnam veteran.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You might have told me about this group before -

May 15, 2021, 8:41 AM

I live only 30 minutes from Newberry. The places I saw were Da Nang, Chu Lai, Quang Ngai City, Duc Pho, and small places with names I don't remember. I have seen photos of the Hill 4-11 firebase where we were based and it has totally changed.

Fwiw I would like to see photos of Hanoi and the “Hanoi Hilton”

May 15, 2021, 10:45 AM [ in reply to I'm going to Vietnam in October with a group called ]

So many were mercilessly tortured and killed there. I hope the entire city burns in hell.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Fwiw I would like to see photos of Hanoi and the “Hanoi Hilton”

May 15, 2021, 11:58 AM

But, we want it to burn when Jane Fonda visits. Have her sitting on the hotel porch as it goes up in smoke. I do not like the lady.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I didn’t see that anyone mentioned a

May 15, 2021, 4:03 PM

lady

Re: Vietnam - Shammers

May 15, 2021, 5:37 PM

I had one guy that just plain refused to go out in the field or even go on work details. For a while his platoon mates would just leave him back in the compound, but I put a stop to that and made him go even when he wouldn't work. I was not going to leave him behind. Eventually we got him back to battalion headquarters and I don't know what happened to him after that. With him, I finally even got to the point that I thought he was more dangerous being with us than behind, so I would not take him on operations. I had a few others that were lazy, but not like him.

reminds me of the time we were in the A S?u Valley.

May 15, 2021, 6:29 PM

Our Commander Barnes had gone completely off the reservatopn and several of us considered putting him down. I shared a foxhole with Francis. That night, a major NVA assault occured, and the defensive lines were broken. Most of the platoon, including Wolfe and most of Barnes' followers, were killed in the ensuing battle. Sgt. O'Neill, known for shirking duties and being one of Barnes' lackeys, hid under a dead soldier to avoid being seen. I, along with Francis, found the courage to counterattack, killing many of the invading NVA. I even left the fighting hole to pursue the enemy. During the attack, an NVA sapper, armed with explosives, destroyed the battalion headquarters in a suicide attack. Now in command of the defense, Captain Harris ordered his air support to expend all their remaining ordnance inside our perimeter. During the chaos, I encountered Barnes, who is wounded and driven to insanity. Just as Barnes is about to kill me, we were both knocked unconscious by the air strike.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yea I bet you have tiger’s blood in your veins too..

May 15, 2021, 7:53 PM

Don’t you Charlie Sheen ?

Did you regurgitate that from memory?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Vietnam - Shammers

May 15, 2021, 7:50 PM

That’s pretty dang sad and cowardly! Thank you to those who did their jobs and went above and beyond the call of duty. Clover65 Thank you for your service.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic