Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Venables is top candidate at OU...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Venables is top candidate at OU...

Nov 28, 2021, 6:10 PM

Been seeing a lot of tweets that say he will be at the top of their list. They want someone who will transition to the SEC as a great defensive mind. Stoops at Kentucky would also be good. Who else do you like on this list:

https://twitter.com/CoachesTalk/status/1465088036119748612?s=20

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That would be some weird happenstance if BV had to

Nov 28, 2021, 6:12 PM

compete with a Stoops for the Oklahoma job. It was being shuffled to the side for a Stoops that probably enabled Dabo to poach him from there to begin with.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Venables is top candidate at OU...

Nov 28, 2021, 6:13 PM

https://twitter.com/MarinoNFL/status/1465071063080050698?s=20

Nov 28, 2021, 6:26 PM

The comments are hilarious, never paid attention to how many people are so upset by clemsons run and wants it to end. When they gonna learn we are here to stay, they’re just mad that we are built different

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 28, 2021, 6:14 PM

Bob Stoops has been itching to get back to coaching - a clear path to get back to the program he left.

2024 white level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 28, 2021, 6:15 PM

No Shane Beamer? I mean he came to UofSC from OU and he is already an SEC head coach.

;)

Plus I am sure he is dying to get out of coot town. Doesn't take long to realize going there is the biggest mistake of your career. Just ask the past president of coot U.

Message was edited by: tigerband1®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 28, 2021, 6:20 PM

That's more names than I would have thought of on my own, but at least my 4 made the list.

Mark Stoops is an interesting name.

My personal opinion, but I know nothing.

1. I think they want a proven head coach. So, I eliminate Venables.
2. I don't think Rhule is ready to give up on NFL. So, I eliminate him.
3. Fickell keeps insisting he's happy in Cincy. Most carousel guys say he will wait for Ohio State or Notre Dame. That seems reasonable to me.
4. Bob Stoops is 61. He's already retired once. Does he want to become the next Mack Brown / Herm Edwards? Who knows, but I would guess NO.
5. Josh Huepel has only been at Tennessee 1+Covid years. I doubt he would leave. And, it is my understanding he didn't leave OU the first time on good terms.

I don't know enough to have an opinion on the others.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 28, 2021, 6:22 PM

Anyone but BV.

Nov 28, 2021, 6:50 PM

Don't see that as a good fit. Too far from his recruiting base. But if the Kentucky job opened. That would work for him.

Of course he seems pretty happy. But these HC are getting crazy $. I think I'd be tempted.

Nov 28, 2021, 6:23 PM

I don’t see it. They shucked him aside many years ago. Going to take more than just money and a big brand to pull him from a place like Clemson, where he’s beloved and has all his guys in place and in position to contend for years to come.

Nov 28, 2021, 6:27 PM

Heupel could be another top candidate since he played at OU:

https://mobile.twitter.com/WalterKFriedman/status/1465066620380983301?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1465066620380983301%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dirtburglars.com%2Fforum%2Fsports-forums%2Fathletics%2Ffootball%2F897275-ou-head-football-coach-candidate-list

Nov 28, 2021, 6:28 PM

If Heupel is offered the job, he will take it, no question

Nov 28, 2021, 7:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Venables is top candidate at OU... ]

I doubt Venables is OU's top candidate but I imagine he

Nov 28, 2021, 6:40 PM

will be someone OU wants to interview. I just don't get the vibe that Venables is really interested in being a head coach. He's had some other opportunities (including his alma mater) and has not really shown a big desire to make the leap from coordinator to head coach. If Oklahoma wants to talk to him I'm sure he will do them the courtesy - if nothing more than out of respect to the program that gave him his first coaching job.

Part of me thinks Venables is living with what has been described as "don't mess with happy" at Clemson. It is truly the wise man who values happiness over ambition and I'm starting to think that Venables is a lot wiser than those who put him on these potential head coaching lists every year...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I doubt Venables is OU's top candidate but I imagine he

Nov 28, 2021, 7:32 PM

I also think this about CBV. He's smart enough to know who he is and what he wants. He's doing what he loves (coaching defense) and what he's best at. Why would he want all the politics/BS that goes along with being Head Coach?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 28, 2021, 7:06 PM

Wouldn't you think they would go for someone with head coaching experience?

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

***Venables is about to get a raise from Dabo******

Nov 28, 2021, 7:14 PM

Re: ***Venables is about to get a raise from Dabo******

Nov 28, 2021, 7:24 PM

You got it eaglessoar20021.

It will be a generous 'proactive' raise that is given to BV ... any talk that this is in response to overtures from U of OK to BV is simply malicious gossip.

Re: ***Venables is about to get a raise from Dabo******

Nov 28, 2021, 7:26 PM [ in reply to ***Venables is about to get a raise from Dabo****** ]

He’s earned every dollar he gets. If Clemson was passing the hat around I’d throw in extra if I knew it was going to BV.

Thanks for the clickbait.

Nov 28, 2021, 7:35 PM

Never mind whether anyone is interested….

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic