Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Venables
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Venables

Dec 3, 2021, 1:56 PM

It seems to me - if the interview and salary are right, he's gone. If not, then why doesn't he go ahead and tell the players and fans that he is staying at Clemson? There must be a lot going on that we can't imagine.
Oh the pain of it all!!!!!!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If he was leaving he wouldn't be out recruiting for Clemson

Dec 3, 2021, 2:03 PM

Actions speak louder than words.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Exactly what I said BigCU! No way he's going to be out

Dec 3, 2021, 2:17 PM

recruiting these kids this week if he's interviewing and possibly leaving.

Message was edited by: Orange®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Really?

Dec 3, 2021, 2:29 PM

I mean, if he knows he's leaving, then I understand he's not going to be out recruiting. But what if he's simply interviewed and is waiting for OU's decision, or, what if he's scheduled to interview and hasn't yet. Is he necessarily going to stop recruiting simply b/c he's being considered for a position?

BV seems like a stand-up guy and I don't expect he's lying to anyone or giving them false certainty about whether or not he'll be back, but I don't see anything wrong with simply remaining silent and going about your job until you know for sure it's a done deal.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This story is all over the news...

Dec 3, 2021, 2:40 PM

and you know recruits are asking him about it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He'd just squash it

Dec 3, 2021, 2:56 PM

If it were out of the question.

Maybe it's just me...

Dec 3, 2021, 3:05 PM

but I think he has more integrity than that.

Maybe he's up front with the recruits.***

Dec 3, 2021, 3:52 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Exactly what I said BigCU! No way he's going to be out***

Dec 3, 2021, 3:14 PM [ in reply to Exactly what I said BigCU! No way he's going to be out ]

Re: If he was leaving he wouldn't be out recruiting for Clemson

Dec 3, 2021, 3:15 PM [ in reply to If he was leaving he wouldn't be out recruiting for Clemson ]

BigCUFan® said:

Actions speak louder than words.

What is he supposed to do? Just not work?

He’s employed by Clemson and his job right now is to recruit. He’s doing his job, until it’s not his job anymore.

Maybe he's under consideration, but no decision has been

Dec 3, 2021, 3:29 PM [ in reply to If he was leaving he wouldn't be out recruiting for Clemson ]

made, which would explain why he's still out recruiting for Clemson. Maybe they are still interviewing other people, or maybe he is still negotiating or thinking it over. That would be totally ethical and make perfect sense. He still works for and remains committed to Clemson until he commits to Oklahoma.

If he was not interested in the OU job, and knew he was staying at Clemson, he would just come out and say so. The fact that he has not done that speaks volumes.

I think the most likely explanation, given what we know and what we don't, is that he has been contacted about the HC job at Oklahoma, and is one of several candidates under consideration, and he is interested to see what offer, if any, is extended.

I think that lines up with what we know, and isn't far-fetched at all.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Maybe he's under consideration, but no decision has been

Dec 3, 2021, 3:35 PM

It truly is all speculation, and there are multiple

Dec 3, 2021, 3:54 PM

possibilities.

- H. L. Mencken

Re: Venables

Dec 3, 2021, 2:07 PM

More than likely he’s waiting like the rest of us - either to see if OU hires somebody they interview after this weekend’s games or to see if they want to go to more discussions with him. He may not be sure what the job will give him so until it’s offered he won’t know.

Re: Venables

Dec 3, 2021, 2:10 PM

In my humble opinion, he wants the job but he is not OU's first choice so he can't squelch that he is not leaving. I think his silence states he is interested...unfortunately.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think it's very probable he has already turned them down

Dec 3, 2021, 2:18 PM

and as a courtesy Brent agreed not to announce it publicly. Then OU can announce the hiring of someone else eventually and their fans will assume it's their first choice.

Re: I think it's very probable he has already turned them down

Dec 3, 2021, 2:28 PM

Good point

Go Tigers........

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work Hard, Do Your Best, Keep Your Word, Never Get Too Big For Your Britches, Trust In God, Have no fear and Never Forget a Friend ~ Harry S. Truman

The problem w/ that is . . .

Dec 3, 2021, 2:34 PM [ in reply to I think it's very probable he has already turned them down ]

that if he's already turned it down, then he could go ahead and publicly say he's not going to be the next OU coach. He wouldn't have to specify he turned it down, he could just say he's not going to be the coach. If he's okay with folks thinking that he wasn't OU's first choice after their hire is announced, then it would be no different for him let folks assume that now by just saying he isn't leaving.

I think it's more likely that he's still in the running but that he doesn't know anything yet b/c OU hasn't decided anything yet.

Re: The problem w/ that is . . .

Dec 3, 2021, 2:52 PM

Yes and no. He has a great relationship with OU and you don't want to publicly say that you don't want that job. It's the same professional courtesy that he would extend by simply taking the call and telling them he appreciates the offer but isn't looking to leave where he is.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think it's very probable he has already turned them down

Dec 3, 2021, 3:06 PM [ in reply to I think it's very probable he has already turned them down ]

AD closing the deal on a coach:

"If we were to offer you the job, would you take it?"

If he says no, then they don't offer him the job.
If he says yes, but they end up picking someone else then they never offered him the job.

Either way, the AD can "truthfully" say when he introduces the new coach, "He's the only guy we offered. He was our first choice."

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was going to respond.....

Dec 3, 2021, 3:59 PM

But noticed the ad for 21 pictures that would melt Frosty right next to the poast on my computer screen......I guess I need to clean up my internet history.....what was this about again?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic