Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Transfer Portal target Colin Priest from Michigan
Tiger Boards - Clemson Baseball
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next
Replies: 20
| visibility 5062

Transfer Portal target Colin Priest from Michigan

Jun 16, 2024, 8:57 PM

1B/DH. Second team Freshmen All American. All Big 10 DH. Tons of power. Would be a huge get. Would start at 1B.

https://www.michigandaily.com/sports/baseball/collin-priest-enters-the-transfer-portal/

https://x.com/noahb77_/status/1801763543970201653?s=46&t=7LiJmP7DCjlx_hifhrV9-g

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Transfer Portal target Colin Priest from Michigan

Jun 16, 2024, 9:05 PM

Meh...I think we go into the season with McCladdie at 1B...maybe.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

How about Crighton***

Jun 16, 2024, 9:08 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How about Crighton***

Jun 16, 2024, 9:30 PM

You really want a 1B that only hits 2 HRs?

Corner guys are your power guys.

Jun 16, 2024, 9:59 PM

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Jun 16, 2024, 10:43 PM [ in reply to Re: How about Crighton*** ]

Typically but they don’t have to be

Jun 16, 2024, 10:43 PM [ in reply to How about Crighton*** ]

Crighton would play RF and the outfield would be set

Jun 17, 2024, 10:24 AM [ in reply to Re: Transfer Portal target Colin Priest from Michigan ]

So, you’re saying bench a .310 hitter and a kid with 1.000 fielding percentage?! Woooow. Jack Chrighton was one of the few players (at any level) without a single error. He also was top 3 in runs scored. Yeah. Bench him.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 17, 2024, 10:25 AM

I honestly can’t roll my eyes hard enough rn.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 17, 2024, 2:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Transfer Portal target Colin Priest from Michigan ]

With all due respect...being a .310 hitter in College is not exactly lighting up the spray chart. Now, hitting .310 around the league induction of the new BB core bats would be highly impressive. The NCAA has since emphasized runs scored and have changed the baseball drastically...Average college hitters now are around .330 to .370 range.

For the record, I like Crighton...

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Jun 17, 2024, 6:13 PM [ in reply to Re: Transfer Portal target Colin Priest from Michigan ]

I think it was suggested to put Crighton back at his natural position and pick up a 1st baseman. Crighton is definitely a breakout candidate. So is Priest.

Jun 16, 2024, 10:00 PM

He probably already has a landing spot.
A guy like that isn’t frustrated by lack of playing time, etc., he is looking to ring the register.

Jun 16, 2024, 10:42 PM

If he was already in the south sure. A lot of kids leave the north to come play in warmer weather

Message was edited by: BaseballCharlie®

Jun 17, 2024, 6:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Transfer Portal target Colin Priest from Michigan ]

I hope you’re right… I hope we are the one he is cashing in with

would LOVE to have him: It's about depth, people

Jun 16, 2024, 11:09 PM

Here's the list of position players who got almost all of the at-bats this season for the Tigers:

Wright: 256
Cannarella: 246
Hinderleider: 238
Mathes: 224
Obertop: 218
Purify: 165
Bissetta: 141
Nawrocki: 125
Crighton: 115
Taylor: 100
Jarrell: 97
Ciufo: 93

Blauser and Hall had 29 and 22, respectively, but they've since transferred out of the program. McCladdie had 17. No one else on the roster had more than 6.

Of that previous list, here's who will presumably be returning next season:

Cannarella
Purify
Bissetta
Nawrocki
Crighton
Jarrell
Ciufo
and they did pick up Listi, the new transfer addition.

But what that means is, in terms of experienced, starting-caliber players, this season, Clemson essentially had 12. Next season, as it currently stands, they'll have just 8. And the 5 players they're losing are 5 of their 6 best hitters. That's concerning. It's not that I dislike some of the players y'all were mentioning, like Crighton, Nawrocki, Bissetta, or even McCladdie. But expecting them to be able to replicate anything close to the offensive production of Wright, Hinderleider, Mathes, Obertop, and Taylor without any additional help is very tall ask, and in my opinion, an unrealistic one.

To address this problem, I believe it would be wise for Bakich to do something similar to what he did last year: go out and get several transfers, preferably good, experienced hitters with significant offensive upside. Right now, from a position player standpoint, hitting is by far the biggest need going into next season. Obviously, it's not because they didn't hit well this season. It's because most of the biggest pieces of that lineup are going to be gone next year. Priest looks like exactly the type of guy the Tigers need.

Additionally, having good depth is very important, as we just saw this season. The lineup seemed really deep early in the year when Taylor and Ciufo were healthy, but once they got injured, things suddenly got a lot less comfortable. For the rest of the year, Clemson basically had 10 quality offensive players, just enough to field a lineup plus one extra for rest or in case of injury. After that group of 10, there was a significant drop-off in ability, with all due respect to rest of the roster. That's why it's so important to be around 12-deep in terms of good position players, because it gives you options to work with in case of injury or ineffectiveness, which will almost certainly happen to a few players each year.

And yes, I'm not forgetting about the new freshmen coming in, or discounting the fact that some of the returning players could get significantly better before next season. But I still think that relying mainly on such inexperienced guys to immediately fill the massive shoes left by Wright, Hinderleider, Mathes, Obertop, and Taylor would be a big stretch. I have full confidence that Bakich will be able to bring in some more transfers before next season, as he has already demonstrated an ability to use the portal quite successfully. And I believe that his doing so will put the team in a much stronger shape entering 2025. Priest looks like a perfect candidate, especially being that he's coming from Michigan.

Re: would LOVE to have him: It's about depth, people

Jun 17, 2024, 2:31 PM

You're dead on.

Jun 17, 2024, 3:00 PM [ in reply to would LOVE to have him: It's about depth, people ]

Did not know that Blauser had transferred. Where?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 17, 2024, 3:23 PM

Nowhere, yet.

Jun 17, 2024, 3:46 PM [ in reply to would LOVE to have him: It's about depth, people ]

Thought Obertop was returning?

Jun 17, 2024, 6:07 PM

That’s pretty much what he said in his postgame interview, but he hasn’t said anything since officially, like Ciufo did.

Jun 17, 2024, 7:01 PM

He never said he was returning. That’s was misunderstood by some people

Replies: 20
| visibility 5062
Tiger Boards - Clemson Baseball
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next