Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Transfer/Portal losses that hurt us?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Transfer/Portal losses that hurt us?

Dec 8, 2021, 11:53 AM

I've been trying to think of any of the players who have transferred out from Clemson who we really missed or needed after they were gone...

I really don't think we missed Derion Kendrick at all this year. I'd take Booth and Goodrich over him 100%. In coverage, and especially in run support.

Honestly the only one I can think of going back a few years is Pagano at DT.

We were uber talented at DL, but if I recall correctly, we ended up a little thin due to injury issues the year he left. He was a load in the middle. Wouldn't have started early in the year, but after we had some injuries he could have helped. Even so, our issues that year were on the other side of the ball. So that loss didn't really hurt us in the grand scheme of things.

Am I missing anyone who left who would have been a difference maker for us?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Transfer/Portal losses that hurt us?

Dec 8, 2021, 11:58 AM

Does not matter. They left us so good luck to them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

many would say Chase Brice***

Dec 8, 2021, 12:00 PM

i agree with 2000

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: many would say Chase Brice***

Dec 8, 2021, 12:02 PM

yeah, he would have been nice to have around this year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 8, 2021, 12:13 PM

Chase would have played a lot this year and might have been the starter after DJ struggled. He did well at App. Other than that we didn't miss anybody, and except for depth, won't miss many in the future.

Booth and Goodrich had good years at the corners, and Simpson was certainly better than Davis.

Dec 8, 2021, 12:35 PM [ in reply to many would say Chase Brice*** ]

This is a playoff team with Brice and given the defense, probably a national title team.

There aren't any dominant teams this year and it easily could have been us winning the title.

We win the GA game easily with semi competent QB play and NC State with one less brain dead mistake from the QB.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 8, 2021, 12:07 PM

All of them. Our OL & WR woes this year show that at any given moment you could be flirting with having to start Will Swinney & Brown.

Dec 8, 2021, 12:15 PM

We won the games that Swinney and Brown started.

Dec 8, 2021, 12:20 PM

Will Brown would have been a great help at slot and should have played a lot more.

Dec 8, 2021, 12:56 PM

I'm not sure if we've had a specific player hurt us yet or not. To me the biggest fear for Clemson as it relates to the portal is limiting our depth. Odds are we won't lose starting players to the portal all that often. Losing a starter can certainly happen for various reasons, but won't be the majority of the players we lose.

So maybe the next player to transfer isn't a guy we're currently relying on as maybe he's a 3rd string DL or something. What hurts though is say we have a few injuries there and suddenly that player would've either been starting or at least be getting playing time. It could be the difference in our backup being an a 4 or 5 star playing that had been in the program for 1 or 2 years vs. the backup being a 3 star player or at least a 4 or 5 star true freshman who hasn't had as much time in the program yet. Basically it makes us less deep and depth is something we've used as a major strength during our CFP run.

Dec 8, 2021, 1:01 PM

I think Powell from last season is a good example of how the transfer portal could've made a big difference. Powell had struggled to get playing time during his first few years and I don't think most people would've been surprised to see him transfer prior to last season. He decided to stick it out and ended up being a very important player for us in the 2nd half of last season after we suffered several injuries at WR. I think we would've been in a similar situation at receiver last season as we were this year had Powell no longer been with the program.

Dec 8, 2021, 12:59 PM

We lost 4 or 5 qbs since 2017. This has led to DJ being the first QB to be named starter without ever going through a QB competition since Will Proctor. The losses don’t just impact starting slots. They impact the iron that sharpens the iron.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic