Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
To show you our new scoreboard was behind the times vs others..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

To show you our new scoreboard was behind the times vs others..

Aug 18, 2022, 8:17 AM

back in Summer of 2008 I drove into Ole Missy in Oxford (days b/4 1st debate held there between McCain & Obama)..

and headed straight for The Magnolia "Party" Grove to check it out and in view was one gigantic scoreboard going up.

I walked over to stadium and since it was after hours I was able to walk straight in at that end zone and felt like an ant next to it.

Neat stadium and surprised there were 3-4 large Natty Signs displayed. Guess a Manning won one for them.

Oh, Oxford is so unique in that the old white courthouse is built within a circle and the main street revolves around and out from it.

We should enjoy our trips there in the years ahead when Clemson joins the mighty SEC.

Ha..

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: To show you our new scoreboard was behind the times vs others..

Aug 18, 2022, 8:22 AM

NO…….old miss has never won a Natty. Must have borrowed one of Bama’s!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi and Minnesota

Aug 18, 2022, 8:28 AM

shared the national title in 1960

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mississippi and Minnesota

Aug 18, 2022, 8:51 AM

They “claim” 59 and 62 as well. Maybe we should claim a couple others…

Aug 18, 2022, 8:30 AM

Freeze simply meant to show off the fact that Ole Miss claims a trio of national championships. The years of those titles, since they're not indicated in this graphic, were the ones claimed by John Vaught's 1959, 1960, and 1962 teams.

Those titles were far from unanimous, with five teams also having the right to claim shares of that 1960 title. According to Wikipedia's collected data, Ole Miss was awarded its national titles by Clyde Berryman, the Dunkel System, and Jeff Sagarin (1959); the Billingsley Report, the College Football Researchers Association, Harry DeVold, Dunkel again, the Football Writers Association of America, the National Championship Foundation (which appears similar to the Researchers Association), and something called the Williamson System (1960); and Billingsley again, something called Litkenhous that appears to be affiliated with the Louisville Courier-Journal and is often used for high school football, and Sagarin again (1962).

Its a sad world...

Aug 18, 2022, 9:04 AM

Yeah, it's similar to the lame excuse used by UCF to claim a NC a few years ago. It was much more common back then to have multiple polls and a school would claim a NC if at least one of those polls had them at #1.

Aug 18, 2022, 8:46 AM

The game is on the field but when you have an unlimited budget you can spend money.

Aug 18, 2022, 9:34 AM

I remember Clemson had a Home and Home with Ole Miss scheduled around 10-15 years ago that got dropped. Was looking forward to that.

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic