Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Playoff expansion proposal heads to next stage
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

TNET: Playoff expansion proposal heads to next stage

Jun 18, 2021, 1:52 PM

Playoff expansion proposal heads to next stage

CHICAGO – In advance of next week's meeting of the university presidents and chancellors who oversee the College Football Playoff (CFP), the CFP management committee Friday reviewed a working group's proposed 12-team playoff, with committee members stating they look forward to discussing the proposa Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Notre Dame

Jun 18, 2021, 2:50 PM

Lol

Re: Notre Dame

Jun 18, 2021, 3:27 PM

But if Notre Dame were ever good enough to ever win a conference, they would likely be #5 and only have to play #12. Not much different than the usual 13th game as a conference championship game.

It’s the SEC Bias Provision that there is no limit to the number of teams from a conference that is total BS. There will be 14 SEC teams ranked in the pre-season Top 10, just watch.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 18, 2021, 3:44 PM

7 SEC teams is the max amount, and you never know but we all know the committee can’t get away with squeezing the Coots and Vandy in there. That’s just bad for college football.

Jun 18, 2021, 8:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Notre Dame ]

You must limit the number of teams from a conference. 4 maximum. If you dont finish in the top 2 of a division you do not deserve to get in. 3 would be more realistic. If there is no max number then leave it the way it is.

I agree 100%, with a max of 3 per conference...here's why...

Jun 19, 2021, 7:14 AM

Besides the money grab, the supposed reason for expanding the playoff is to ensure broader representation nationwide, thus greater interest nationwide! Allowing it to be loaded up with SEC teams goes completely against that. If you limit it to three per conference, then the worst case scenario would be 3 of the final four from one conference. Trust me, the SEC is just drooling at the possibility of have all four of the semi-final teams. The other conferences are idiots, if they go along with no conference limit!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don’t understand this statement.

Jun 18, 2021, 6:45 PM

The 6 highest ranked conference champions get in but no conference would qualify automatically. What the eff does that mean?

The proposal calls for the bracket each year to include the six highest-ranked conference champions, plus the six highest-ranked other teams as determined by the College Football Playoff selection committee. No conference would qualify automatically and there would be no limit on the number of participants from a conference.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don’t understand this statement.

Jun 18, 2021, 9:03 PM

I'll try and explain.

They are not distinguishing between P5 and G5 conferences. Theoretically, if the AAC conference champ were ranked ahead of the PAC-12 champ, and the CUSA champ was ranked ahead of the PAC-12 champ, then the PAC-12 champ is not guaranteed a spot in the playoffs. (The six highest ranked conference champs would be ACC, B1G, SEC, Big 12, AAC and CUSA.) The PAC - 12 champ would have to be one of the teams vying for the six at large spots.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

honestly thye should just do p5 champs auto

Jun 18, 2021, 9:04 PM

then from there figure out the final 7 teams and be done with it..it makes way to much sense for them to do that though..at the end of the day its going to turn into the sec invitational

Re: honestly thye should just do p5 champs auto

Jun 20, 2021, 11:19 AM

>> …SEC Invitational…

We all have a powerful button on the remote that could downvote games with 2 SEC teams. It’s usually labeled “Power”. No pun intended there. Seriously, just don’t watch them.

You really don’t even have to turn it off - just watch something more interesting, like Bob Ross.

just said the same thing

Jun 18, 2021, 9:03 PM [ in reply to I don’t understand this statement. ]

only thing i can figure is lets say cinci finishes ahead of southern cal and lets say coastal finished ahead of a southern cal and were ranked higher then id assume usc would not get in the first six...they are making it so ###### complicated..just say the 5 power five conference champs get an automatic bid..then go from there

It's not complicated, and helps the G5 have a better chance

Jun 19, 2021, 7:06 AM

as would have been the case last year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's effectively the Pac12 exemption...

Jun 19, 2021, 6:48 AM [ in reply to I don’t understand this statement. ]

that prevents some 9-3 or 8-4 Pac 12 champion from getting in the CFP.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

that makes zero sense

Jun 18, 2021, 9:00 PM

how can you have the top 6 conference champions but then say no conference gets an automatic bid...by that logic wouldnt a conference champ be an automatic?

No...there are 10 conferences! Only the 6 highest ranked

Jun 19, 2021, 7:20 AM

conference champs are automatic, and that would not necessarily include all five Power 5 champs. This is one of the best features...a highly ranked G5 champ could get an automatic, just as Cincinnati would have last year, under this scenario!

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic