Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: "He was gone": Uiagalelei, Tiger players and coaches high on "dude" Will Shipley
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

TNET: "He was gone": Uiagalelei, Tiger players and coaches high on "dude" Will Shipley

Jul 25, 2021, 8:00 AM

"He was gone": Uiagalelei, Tiger players and coaches high on "dude" Will Shipley

CJ Spiller doesn’t mince words when it comes to the running backs on the Clemson roster, and when he said last week that talented freshman Will Shipley reminds him of a young CJ Spiller, you have to listen. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: "He was gone": Uiagalelei, Tiger players and coaches high on "dude" Will Shipley

Jul 25, 2021, 8:20 AM

No doubt he has the speed,.just hope he has enough wiggle to get to show it off.

Re: TNET: "He was gone": Uiagalelei, Tiger players and coaches high on "dude" Will Shipley

Jul 25, 2021, 10:30 AM

He does not your usual white dude, no matter what he looks like, Will can do it all. Look for him to be very special if he doesn’t get hurt.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Re: TNET:

Jul 26, 2021, 1:29 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: "He was gone": Uiagalelei, Tiger players and coaches high on "dude" Will Shipley ]

Yes, absolutely. And some key blocks and play calls beyond behind the guard.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

can he protect the QB?

Jul 25, 2021, 8:24 AM

number 1 requirement!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: can he protect the QB?

Jul 25, 2021, 9:21 AM

I’d call it number three, after can he run good and can he catch good. We got 5 other guys that don’t have to worry a lick about anything but protecting the QB.

hmmm, maybe go back and look at the times a back was not

Jul 25, 2021, 9:30 AM

good at blocking, critical.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

I'd call it number three as well, but

Jul 25, 2021, 9:44 AM [ in reply to Re: can he protect the QB? ]

1. Can he protect the ball (not fumble)
2. Can he run
3. Can he block (protect the QB)
4. Can he catch

If blocking was the number one attribute, we would have an OL as RB, or at least use a FB...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'd call it number three as well, but

Jul 25, 2021, 9:51 AM

Best answer

Jul 25, 2021, 10:35 AM [ in reply to can he protect the QB? ]

I want him to be able to block but he can protect DJ regardless. The defense will be a half a step slower worrying about screens and check downs going to Shipley.

Jul 25, 2021, 10:40 AM [ in reply to can he protect the QB? ]

Especially this year.

We have a stable of good backs this year.

DJU, on the other hand, needs to be wrapped in bubble wrap.

Jul 25, 2021, 2:53 PM

Can't wait to see him in action.

Jul 25, 2021, 12:33 PM [ in reply to can he protect the QB? ]

A few year back, maybe ETN’s freshman year, before he cemented the starting spot, Elliott said that the RB that would play the most would be the one that could protect the QB the best.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Could CJ protect the QB? I don't remember anybody ever

Jul 25, 2021, 12:43 PM [ in reply to can he protect the QB? ]

asking that. And I agree it's very important, just saying.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Could CJ protect the QB? I don't remember anybody ever

Jul 25, 2021, 3:04 PM

CJ was not really good at blocking. But I mean, the QBs were Kyle Parker and Cullen Harper and there were some terrible lines. CJ basically just had to touch the ball as much as possible to make something happen, so they didn't scheme for a passing game with CJ blocking, because he was going out there. Now Clemson has a ton of receiving talent and elite QBs. It's more important.

Jul 25, 2021, 8:17 PM

CJ didn’t have Coach TE as his running back coach back then either or I bet CJ would have been a better blocker.

Jul 26, 2021, 1:33 PM

You make a point - TE would not let CJ on the field.

Jul 25, 2021, 1:22 PM [ in reply to can he protect the QB? ]

Absolutely, you can not win games with your QB on his back, and with all the qualities of a super RB, if he can't block when the play calls for him to block, he's just an average RB IMO bc, blitzing LB will go around, or through them, and that will cause your QB to get his jersey dirty that usually causes a fumble, or a batted down pass!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 26, 2021, 1:30 PM [ in reply to can he protect the QB? ]

ETN and CJ rarely protected the QB. But boy could they run.

Jul 25, 2021, 10:06 AM

If Will is anything close to McCaffrey, then we've really got something here.

Jul 25, 2021, 10:34 AM

He could be better than McCaffrey, I’m serious about that. The only thing holding him back is our OL and I don’t see that being a problem.

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Jul 26, 2021, 1:36 PM

OK. Now you’re scaring me. Better that the best NFL RB? And has not played one down of college ball, and not one down as a h.s. senior. I hope there’s some hyperbole there. But I also hope you’re right!

Running Backs And Offensive Line Better Get United ---

Jul 25, 2021, 10:35 AM

Game 1 is going to require getting 5 to 6 tough yards on the ground at will.....though 10 or more would definitely be great too.

Re: Running Backs And Offensive Line Better Get United ---

Jul 25, 2021, 2:42 PM

I've watched a couple of Shipley's recruiting film, but we all know that those film are going to be with his best, or close to his best plays. The film that I've seen of him running between the tackles, he seems to have exceptional vision with strong legs that are also trained to allow him to make quick strong moves at contact, and that has allowed him to break through with big gains.

Will Shipley against college defensive lines where everybody on college defensive lines are the best D players a team was able to get, and most of those huge gains he was getting in HS won't be available to him in the college game, but that twitch that has with his vision will be an asset for him at the college level, and there will be times at the college level where he won't be wrapped up, and he will make that defender pay.

How god Shipley will be at the college level will depend on how much work he is willing to put into the superb weight room that's at Clemson to get his whole body equally strong. If he gets really serious with his weight room time, he could be one of the best RBs we've ever seen at the college level bc he has the talent, but he will have to never be satisfied with his development, and continue training for being the best ever college RB. He could be a Spiller with his speed, and a McCaffrey with his toughness, Spiller/McCaffrey 2.0!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Running Backs And Offensive Line Better Get United ---

Jul 26, 2021, 5:24 PM

WS is gonna kill it on special teams, especially with Pearman gone. It's nice to have a return threat again.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 25, 2021, 2:46 PM

Thats awesome.

Jul 25, 2021, 4:06 PM

I like it. Maybe this will be a break through year for the run game!

Jul 25, 2021, 4:09 PM

Everyone keeps talking about can he block. RB3 doesn’t need to be a blocker. As much potential as Shipley might have I don’t see him being RB1. Lynn J and Pace will more than likely be RB1 and RB2. I see Shipley getting about 3-5 touches a game and if he so happens to pick up blocking sooner than normal then we might see him get more.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I should have read your post before posting below

Jul 25, 2021, 6:36 PM

Well said.

Between getting RB3 snaps where he'll most likely touch the ball (or be a decoy) and maybe lining up in the slot on occasion, Shipley should have a busy enough freshman season without having to pass block very much.

Jul 26, 2021, 5:25 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: "He was gone": Uiagalelei, Tiger players and coaches high on "dude" Will Shipley ]

Ship is gonna get most of his reps doing returns on special teams.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's great to hear Spiller and teammates praise Shipley

Jul 25, 2021, 6:33 PM

so profusely. I had my doubts about him making an impact as a freshman but he may be one of those special players they can't keep off the field from the jump.

He doesn't have to be a great blocker yet because he won't be RB1 this year. My guess is 90% of the time he's on the field, Shipley will not be asked to pass block. He'll either get the ball or be used specifically as a decoy. In fact, they may never change his entire college career.

I'm still haven't gotten over him already being listed at RB3 and they've only had spring practice. Just wow!

Re: It's great to hear Spiller and teammates praise Shipley

Jul 25, 2021, 8:01 PM

Hopefully, it will become evident about midway thru the 2nd quarter, that Shipley will take over the reigns as the next great Clemson running back.

Jul 26, 2021, 12:45 AM

"...dominates in practice..." ??

Jul 26, 2021, 1:50 AM

He’s one of the best players period in the 2021 cycle.

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic