Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Thoughts on Clemson in the SEC
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Thoughts on Clemson in the SEC

Jul 7, 2022, 10:29 AM

First off, I've been following Clemson for around 50 years, so Clemson and the ACC are basically synonymous to me. You can't have one without the other. But secondly, the times, they are a-changing. I don't like it (that's what happens when you pass 50 - you become passionately adverse to change), but there's nothing I can do about it. Third, the bottom line is I love Clemson University - not just Clemson football or any other one Clemson sport. Nothing will change that.

So, I was looking at an article today that said that FSU would likely be joining the SEC, and it got me thinking. As much as I hate "the SEC" and all of the arrogance and such that it represents, we actually have more rivalries in the SEC (especially if FSU were to join) than in the ACC. We don't really have any long-term football rivalries in the ACC anymore. Syracuse? NC State? That's pretty much it, I think. But in the SEC, we have UGa and USuC. We'd also have more opportunity to play schools like TA&M that has become a bit of a rivalry in recent years, as well as LSU.

One thing I've always disliked about our "rivalry" with USuC is that, outside of the state of SC, it really doesn't matter, unless they're trying to ruin a perfect season for us. Other than that, it makes no impact on the ACC race or the SEC race, were they ever to really be in it. But if we were both in the same conference, then it would have the potential to have more significance - so would FSU/UF or FSU/UM, as well as Clemson/UGa. All of those are almost always big games, but if the teams were in the same conference - even more would be at stake.

I hate seeing the status quo so totally blown to crap like is happening now in college football. But I'm just a fan and who's just along for the ride, wherever it ends up taking me. As much as I'd hate to see us leave the ACC and all that history behind, I think there would be some great possibilities for Clemson in the SEC (I hate even typing that).

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thoughts on Clemson in the SEC

Jul 7, 2022, 10:30 AM

If you've been following for 50 years, then you're well aware of our history with the now-defunct Southern conference and the teams we used to play regularly (which are now in the SEC).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Jul 7, 2022, 10:32 AM

SEC is our only option.

Jul 7, 2022, 10:35 AM

I agree. It makes the most sense for our program to be there both from a strength of program and monetary value stand point

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 7, 2022, 10:37 AM

Vandy and USCjr. would do nothing for our SOS.........so that's not entirely true. But the money part of the equation---definitely.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Jul 7, 2022, 10:41 AM

Well theres bottom feeders in every conference. But putting bama and Lsu in our schedule definitely shuts finedumb up

Marlborocountycoot = ClemsonAlum1987 = coltdizzle

Jul 7, 2022, 10:56 AM

You Tell em u7c coot, no one knows losing more than you***

Jul 14, 2022, 8:49 AM

Jul 7, 2022, 11:03 AM [ in reply to Re: Thoughts on Clemson in the SEC ]

Only tv can stop this talk about another conference for Clemson, and a couple of others.

Money, big money will keep the ACC in the picture. Will it happen.?

Not necessarily so

Jul 7, 2022, 11:26 AM [ in reply to Re: Thoughts on Clemson in the SEC ]

I'd love to see us go to the BIG with VA Tech. Just to stick a thumb in the SEC's pudding...

Up until the early 60's AUBURN was considered a Clemson

Jul 7, 2022, 11:18 AM

rival, and was on our schedule more often than not. Georgia was pretty much an annual game until SEC expansion and eight conference game schedules came about in 1992. Then, that series went to intermittent scheduling.

I, personally would prefer to play Georgia every year, and the Coots intermittently. We don't learn anything that we didn't already know playing the Coots. Georgia is actually a worthy opponent. Even from the "rise" of Clemson football under Danny Ford, the Dawgs still lead the series 11-6-1. Before that, they owned it completely. You have to go all the way back to the dawn of college football to find a time when Clemson dominated. From 1900-1906, Clemson won seven in a row. After that....pretty much all Georgia.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Up until the early 60's AUBURN was considered a Clemson

Jul 7, 2022, 12:06 PM

So if we would have to be voted into SEC by members do you think UGA FLA Tenn Auburn SC AND TAM would vote us in the way we are recruiting against them right now. Think it would have to be a conference office decision the way they forced Tex and OU down AMs throat.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If Any ACC Teams Leaves....

Jul 7, 2022, 12:19 PM

If FSU, Miami or anybody else leaves, Clemson will be forced to depart also. We will go to payday lenders if necessary to get the huge amount it will cost to leave the ACC and get into the SEC.

Good Question About if they would vote for

Jul 7, 2022, 12:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Up until the early 60's AUBURN was considered a Clemson ]

I don't know enough to speak on it. But, if they had the ability to keep us out; in theory, one could see them "not wanting a Clemson problem" to deal with annually!
Not sure if it works like that, again.

As you stated; we recruit as well or better than most of the teams in the SEC. They currently have the sales pitch: "Clemson isn't in the SEC"! Being in the SEC would take away that bit; that probably does win over a few recruits.

Interesting question in my opinion. I could for sure see it happening!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Good Question About if they would vote for

Jul 7, 2022, 4:26 PM

What you say is true. That is why it is SO important to win those games against. . .“Them”!
Go Tigers .

Whether we stay in the ACC or not, I just want to stop playing Furman Wofford etc.

Jul 7, 2022, 4:35 PM

I like the idea of driving to UGA, UF, Auburn, Tenn, and SCu.

Add in a few more close ACC teams like FSU, GT, UNC, NCstate and we'll have a nice geographic conference.

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic