Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The most worthless penalty in college football?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

The most worthless penalty in college football?

Dec 9, 2020, 8:33 AM

The one that is enforced on the ensuing kickoff. There is really no penalty since most kickers put it out of the endzone. Why not enforce it after the kickoff? That would certainly reduce some of the defense shinanigans used in the redzone.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger/Terrier

I also think that penalty does not hurt the penalized team.

Dec 9, 2020, 8:37 AM

If the kicker can kick it thru the goal posts, 3 points plus the yardage?

Message was edited by: MyfavOrange®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The most worthless penalty in college football?

Dec 9, 2020, 8:37 AM

Had this discussion with a buddy couple weeks ago. It really needs to be changed to yards on the first down after the kick off .

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What happens if the kickoff is returned for a TD

Dec 9, 2020, 10:16 AM

or a fumble, or an onside kick?

Dec 9, 2020, 8:40 AM

This one, with no close second.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D8aAC4jrPM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 9, 2020, 10:11 AM

I feel pretty strongly about the ineligible man downfield penalty... I don't really see what the purpose is.

Obviously, they should be held to the same contact rules as anyone else more than 5 yards downfield, and wouldn't be an eligible receiver unless previously announced as eligible, but can anyone tell me why that rule is in place?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lots of opportunities for pick plays!

Dec 9, 2020, 1:54 PM

j/k I agree

I am sure there is some good reason, but I sure don't know it

Message was edited by: dsgriff®

Re: Lots of opportunities for pick plays!

Dec 9, 2020, 3:25 PM

That would still be called a penalty, but imagine getting blindsided on a pick play by a 320lb Tackle instead of just a 200 lb WR haha.

Really though, they couldn't run a pick play with them as they would not be an eligible receiver... A pick play is best run by a receiver that is just "running a route" and "happens to get in the way of the defender".

I say let them run wild down the field if they want to... they wouldn't be able to block anyone anyway unless it's a running play. I just don't understand why the rule is in place. Is it just to make it easier for the ref by keeping all the linemen close to the LOS?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I almost want to go with offensive holding

Dec 9, 2020, 10:16 AM

well at least when it comes to our defense. I swear I've seen our guys literally get tackled by offensive lineman with no calls. Drives me insane....
They just never throw flags

Re: I almost want to go with offensive holding

Dec 9, 2020, 10:44 AM

It feels like we're just so much bigger and stronger than most of the teams we play that the refs feel bad, and just allow it to happen. It's ridiculous. Bresee gets held pretty much every play that he rushes the QB. It's happened all season and has probably drawn 2 or less holding penalties.

brother I hear you!

Dec 9, 2020, 10:53 AM

It is infuriating. Against VT I think we sent Patterson on a blitz and he literally was tackled. I thought my head was going to explode. It gets to the point where you wonder why the penalty even exists...

Re: brother I hear you!

Dec 9, 2020, 1:47 PM

Obviously it exists so they can call it on us when we make a big play to keep the game "close" vs inferior competition... :) Tin foil hats anyone?

This is why DL hand technique is so important

Dec 9, 2020, 4:39 PM [ in reply to Re: I almost want to go with offensive holding ]

The OL are told if you keep your hands inside you won’t get called for holding. If your hand is on the outside shoulder or you pull a jersey away from shoulder pads the flag is coming out.

Bresee hasn’t learned to use his hands enough. There are several ways to use your hands. The most important thing is to stay active and get extension with your arms.

Marion Hobby was probably the best coach we ever had at developing DL hands

Dec 9, 2020, 10:21 AM

If its a 15 yd penalty I would think more about a surprise onside kick

Dec 9, 2020, 10:49 AM

I mostly agree, but I think it's important to remember that we've been spoiled by Potter and his touchbacks. I know the rules changed not long ago, but even after that it seemed that we struggled to consistently get touchbacks. So if you're a team that has a kicker with less of a leg that doesn't always get touchbacks then an extra 5-15 yards on the kickoff could result in a very returnable kick.

i was going to guess Holding

Dec 9, 2020, 11:02 AM

Since that happens by everyone blocking on every play. Every time.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 9, 2020, 1:52 PM

Offsides defending the goal line. Half the distance of nothing is still nothing.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic