Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Mahaffey Era in Tiger hoops …
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

The Mahaffey Era in Tiger hoops …

Jan 30, 2023, 9:59 AM

Four big, tall brothers from Lagrange, GA all played consecutively for Clemson and things were really rocking in the old “Cow Palace” of Fike Field House where absolutely every game was sold out and the atmosphere was always electric!

Nobody ever complained about attendance at games back then. For a lot of us Paleolithic types, this was the high point of Clemson basketball.

In 1963–64, coach Bobby Roberts guided the Tigers to an 8–6 record in the ACC. The season included the only regular season sweep of North Carolina in school history. Roberts beat the Tar Heels and Dean Smith, 66–64, in double overtime at Clemson to open the season; and beat them again, 97–90, in double overtime in Charlotte at the North–South Doubleheader.

In 1966–67. Clemson won seven straight ACC games including consecutive wins over Wake Forest, #14 Duke, North Carolina State and #4 North Carolina. It was the first sweep of "the North Carolina ACC schools" in ACC history. Clemson finished with a 17–8 record and 9–5 record in the ACC. Randy Mahaffey was a first-team All-ACC selection who went on to become Clemson's first professional player.

Of course there was the earlier unlikely run to the ACC Tournament finals in 1962, but that team came into the tournament with a losing record overall and some how caught fire in Greensboro. It was only when the Mahaffey boys came to town that Clemson hoops took on an entirely different look and feel. The feel of a legitimate competitor in an age when the Big Four of Tobacco Road were a dominant and almost unbeatable force.

That was a really fun and exciting time to be a Clemson fan.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Mahaffey Era in Tiger hoops …

Jan 30, 2023, 10:09 AM

Those were great old days. No tv games back then except on Saturday afternoons so we were only only on occasionally and you had to listen on the radio. I remember listening to games and keeping a score sheet and knowing how many points and fouls all of our players had in a game. Those were the days.

Jan 30, 2023, 10:24 AM

Those were some good days. Had the tournament been like it is today, we'd have had a really high seed.. and who knows, our history would have been a lot better than most on here proclaim. Good times packing the gym standing Courtside.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes … after that really strong 1966-67 season our guys had

Jan 30, 2023, 12:08 PM

…no post season options at all.

They could have really had a nice run in the NCAAs if more than one conference team were eligible back then.

Jan 30, 2023, 10:28 AM

I was swimming until November of 1967…

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Jan 30, 2023, 10:33 AM

My dad always talks about the Mahaffeys. He played on the Clemson freshman team back in like 62 or 63 and then focused on track. He might have played with some of them when he was in a textile tournament. Press Maravich was coaching his team and a young Pete Maravich was on that team. It sounded from what I've heard like one or two of those brothers were hooligans.

Jan 30, 2023, 10:43 AM

Growing up in Tiger Town, I was fortunate enough to see all the Mahaffeys play. However, it wasn't without some shenanigans on our part. If you knew anything about the Cowpalace, you knew that it barely had enough seats for the student body, much less anybody else.

So, we did what any red-blooded kid would do and snuck into Fike through the windows underneath the bleachers. It was a great run for several seasons, both for the Mahaffeys and me!

Jan 30, 2023, 10:43 AM

Used to work for the Mahaffey brothers. Class acts and great people!!

Jan 30, 2023, 11:05 AM

Tommy, Donnie, Randy and Richie.

Our high school team used to attend the old North-South

Jan 30, 2023, 11:34 AM

doubleheaders in Charlotte, when I was in high school. I was there in 1967, I think it was, when Randy Mahaffey led us to wins over UNC & NC State. I remember in the UNC game, he dominated their All-American Billy Cunningham, scoring something like 33 points!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I once called who's ball it was at scorers table with SID Bob Bradley

Jan 30, 2023, 11:40 AM [ in reply to Re: The Mahaffey Era in Tiger hoops … ]

around 1964-5 and loved the Cow Palace, the overflow of fans, the hear jacked up, the unreal noise, Coach Howard always being supportive by showing up & sitting at one end, the intimidation of it all on top ranked UNC & Duke and other ACC teams.

Win or lose the visiting teams Knew they had been in a battle from start to finish and were glad to escape the Hail @ Fikes.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 30, 2023, 11:49 AM

I was there. I remember standing in line to get in Fike, but when they opened the doors everyone made a mad rush to get in. I remember a lot of the games and the biggest heartbreaker was when we played Duke in '64 or '65 Bob Verga (or Jack Marin) hit a jumper with 3 seconds left to beat us.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I believe it was Steve Vacendak who made the game winner.

Jan 30, 2023, 11:54 AM

That was a huge game and a heart-breaking loss.

I had snuck in to the game as an 14 year old kid and was standing in the corner nearest the basket where the shot was made.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic