Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The important thing to realize about this NIL situation:
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 1
| visibility 658

The important thing to realize about this NIL situation:

May 19, 2022, 10:20 AM

If a school goes out, like A&M has, and essentially buys themselves an "All Star Team", that is not just a one year advantage. It is a THREE YEAR ADVANTAGE, because that is how long it is before those marque players are eligible to make the jump to the NFL.

Now, will they "hit" on every one of those players? Of course not. Butt, when you have purchased top quality beef at every position, chances are you are going to have better quality steaks overall.

And the rest of us are left to make do with Porterhouse.

:(

An oversimplification for sure, but hey, I've been called simple before now!

:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Couple things I see coming out of it. .

May 19, 2022, 11:37 AM

Texas A&M's booster's led pay-for-play scam, for example, cannot survive much longer. Like Dabo and Nick said, it's not sustainable. Whoever is in charge of college football must figure out guiderails to reel in rogue boosters and these "collectives" to essentially buy players. I don't pretend to know how to do it, but something will have to be done soon. In other words, I don't think the TAMU model should be considered final and restrictions will come into play sooner rather than later. The idea is that college football should be equal opportunity for all, and at this point it's benefitting just a few programs.

The other thing I think we'll see at places like TAMU are completely dysfunctional locker rooms. The money and abundance if it in 18 year old hands is going to create a myriad of trouble, the least bit being a willingness to play hard and put it all on the line for the team and program. These are basically kids with tons of guaranteed money and therefore they'll have a reduced incentive to go bust their tails for the school.

Another thing is there won't ne enough room on the field for all these highly paid kids, and it will also further reduce opportunity for unpaid and developmental guys. If you thought the transfer portal was full now, wait until NIL starts really taking hold.

The NIL was thrown out there and obviously there are pretty much zero rules and guidelines. Much of the current discussion and worry is based on the broken model we have now. Again, it's not remotely sustainable. Changes will be made and guardrails set up, or college football is toast. You have to hope there's an intelligent group of leaders out here who will make it as fair and balanced as possible. Limits perhaps, a cap maybe, eliminating booster direct involvement with players and lawyers, no freshman pay for play.. I don't know, but you have believe someone is working to fix it.. Right?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 1
| visibility 658
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic