Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The ACC has value, it is just underpaid for it.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1

The ACC has value, it is just underpaid for it.

Jul 7, 2022, 9:12 AM

Or else other conferences wouldn't want to be raiding the teams. If Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC, VT, and UVA are realistic prizes for other conferences, then it isn't that the ACC doesn't have value, it just means it isn't getting close to same pay for such value.

I think here is the main problem. We should be asking how to get out of Swoffs terrible deal and maintain a conference where we can still reasonably drive to see our team play (unlike the Big10, dang).

I am pretty sure if we add anybody, we can renegotiate the deal, is that correct? If that's the case, then the list should be 1-Notre Dame (obviously) 2-Raid the Big 12 and get Okla St or TCU, both of whom attract over a million TV views per game, or 3- take West Virginia because they would say yes in a heartbeat, and are the 30th most watched team in America. Then you make a TV deal that is at least close to the Big10 and SEC.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The ACC has value, it is just underpaid for it.

Jul 7, 2022, 9:29 AM

Well ESPN was able to pay that lower number because our football heavyweights have been under-performing for years.
Clemson, FSU in the Atlantic, Miami and VT in the Coastal... they should be top 15 teams on a regular basis at the same time.
Louisville, UNC, NCst, Pitt, UVA, GT > This group of teams should produce 2-3 top 25 teams a season.
All other teams > The teams everyone else beats except for the occasional surprise seasons

If the above is happening, our TV deal would be fine.. but it didnt... year after year. So ESPN drug its feet on the ACC Network... so the ACC said "We can keep the same TV deal until 2036 if you give us the ACCN... which might have felt like the right move but we can see that ESPN was able to lock us in at a really low rate for way too long.
It was like if you locked in a lease on land at a low rate when you knew you had found oil on the land but no one else knew.
If Miami and VT's new coaches get them back in the top 20 and FSU finds a heartbeat, all of this would change.

Jul 7, 2022, 10:00 AM

Pretty sure ND is not happening ever.

Correct on having great teams historically speaking but they are not very good as of right now.

If Miami and FSU was the rival game it was 10-15 years ago man the tv deal would have definitely been sweetened but right now them and VT are unknowns as far as getting to top 20 consistently.

Dang who in the ACC would be anything if Bowden still coached at Clemson. The ACC would be a real embarrassment.

Blessed things did not work out with Bowden and TDP made the coaching change that truly changed Clemson football.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MEG

Jul 7, 2022, 9:30 AM

Notre Dame isn't coming. Adding West Virginia would be ok and close to all ACC schools. I would like to see Ok St and a Texas school, either Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor. Also look at a Phoenix Arizona school, would pull a good TV market and I did not know how much alum Arizona State has until I was reading about the PAC12.

Jul 7, 2022, 9:38 AM

It’s all about the teams at the top of the conference. The ACC has Clemson and not much else. Had FSU, Miami and VT not imploded we would be sitting in a good spot. We could then add WVU, Cincy and UCF to a strong conference blanketing the east coast. Unfortunately with only one elite team adding other teams would only dilute the revenue. I also suspect/believe ESPN intentionally negotiated a poor TV deal and Swofford fell for it. They did not want a strong ACC as they are betting on the SEC to being them the bacon. Had Swofford been out in front he would have at least had more than one network involved (NFL has multiple networks) whould have given us options and likely a competitive revenue stream. For example a Thursday night game on Prime video or Saturday noon game on Apple TV. Seems he just pushed the easy button and we are paying the price

Jul 7, 2022, 9:39 AM

The ACC across the board is a very strong conference and certainly has value. I have seen so statement from the BIG10, SEC or Clemson that a conference has invited us to join and the same goes for other ACC teams.

Replies: 5
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic