Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Texas A&M has lost 6 basketball players to the transfer portal this offseason.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

Texas A&M has lost 6 basketball players to the transfer portal this offseason.

Apr 20, 2021, 6:38 PM

I just wanted to remind those who complained about the 2 we lost (Newman, O-Max). Even if you want to go in full freak out mode and say we lost 3 transfers by counting Trapp (who is a senior and wasn’t expected back), we haven’t been hit nearly as hard as many schools.

I know many here respect Buzz Williams from his time at Virginia Tech, and he is now dealing with six transfers at Texas A&M. A few weeks ago I read that over 75 programs have had at least 5 players announce that they are transferring this offseason. It’s crazy. And it has little to do with the coach or how well he relates to players.

This portal is certainly frustrating at times, but thus far I’m pleased with how we are doing. I’m optimistic that we will get at least one more really good student-athlete in the next week or so.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Texas A&M has lost 6 basketball players to the transfer portal this offseason.

Apr 20, 2021, 6:44 PM

Good point, but we could lose someone else too with the addition of Collins.
When teams add a good a player from the portal someone gets cold feet and wants more minutes at a position. Two candidates now would be Chase Hunter and Alex Hemenway. Hunter would be more of an expected and not missed casualty IMO.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Texas A&M has lost 6 basketball players to the transfer portal this offseason.

Apr 20, 2021, 7:30 PM

And if, if’s and but’s... anything can happen to any team at this point. Bottom line is the new transfer policy + one and done are an abomination to college basketball. Both suck and I hope it gets fixed before it destroys the sport.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

what % of those in the portal end up transferring out?

Apr 20, 2021, 6:49 PM

Don't a lot use it just to test the waters?

Re: what % of those in the portal end up transferring out?

Apr 20, 2021, 6:54 PM

Some will indicate testing waters to the NBA but then decide to maybe transfer than stay at their current place. I'd say the players that do rather than go back to their current school is around 40 percent.

Apr 20, 2021, 7:10 PM

He's also already signed 4 transfers and has a Top 25 recruiting class. We've signed 1 transfer and our class is ranked 51st (definitely trending up after new facilities and the Sweet 16 run) with the addition of Middlebrooks.

Message was edited by: viztiz®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jstone D329 - “ It’s ok to want a coaching change”
Brownell @Clemson: 8 seasons ranked 50th or worse by Sports Reference’s SRS
1-29: Brad Brownell road record against ranked ACC opponents
142, 161, 294, 307, 293, 166, 225, 180, 260, 164, 141, 72, 68 - assist rankings amongst all D1 programs during Brownell's tenure

They also finished next to last in the SEC this season.

Apr 20, 2021, 8:43 PM

They had a NET of 150 and were 0-5 against quad 1 teams.

I’ll take our situation.

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: They also finished next to last in the SEC this season.

Apr 20, 2021, 9:01 PM

So, changing the topic?

142, 161, 294, 307, 293, 166, 225, 180, 260, 164, 141, 72, 68 - assist rankings amongst all D1 programs during Brownell's tenure

No, you were.***

Apr 21, 2021, 12:22 AM

Re: They also finished next to last in the SEC this season.

Apr 20, 2021, 9:18 PM [ in reply to They also finished next to last in the SEC this season. ]

Thought this was a post about the transfer portal and it's effect on next year's teams?

It was, until you tried (unsuccessfully) to turn it into a Clemson bashing thread.***

Apr 21, 2021, 12:22 AM

Re: It was, until you tried (unsuccessfully) to turn it into a Clemson bashing thread.***

Apr 21, 2021, 12:35 AM

“Thus far I am pleased with how we (Clemson) are doing”

Sounds like you were doing a little compare and contrast and I was just adding some details you left out in your usual aggrandizement. Ever admit you were dead wrong about last time Brownell had a losing record since you were the one bashing a coach yesterday?

Apr 21, 2021, 4:30 AM

That (6) is a bunch, how many of those were getting minutes (aka not walking). Sometimes it matter who as much as how many. I don’t know anything about TAM roster. Still 6 is a bunch.

You mention 2 leaving Clemson - where would you put Trapp? Should he not be added as well? Or is he in another category?

I hate the transfer portal. Not fair to the smaller schools to develop talent and then them use those schools as a minor league.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 21, 2021, 6:52 AM

He left out that the number of A&M players went up as Williams was signing players from the portal. He’s signed 4 already. Williams has a decent class coming in and is obviously going with a complete rebuild after an atrocious year. JK has insisted that last year was one of our best team’s ever and that next year will be better. So he’s making a false comparison to try and pump up his hero.

Apr 21, 2021, 8:10 AM

viztiz® said:

He left out that the number of A&M players went up as Williams was signing players from the portal. He’s signed 4 already. Williams has a decent class coming in and is obviously going with a complete rebuild after an atrocious year. JK has insisted that last year was one of our best team’s ever and that next year will be better. So he’s making a false comparison to try and pump up his hero.

Gotcha. Funny you give the benefit of the doubt to other coaches. I’m sure you did the same with brownell and gave him time to get players from the portal right? You weren’t one of the “fans” that overreacted and acted like our program was imploding?

Newman announced his transfer about a month ago and we already have an upgrade over him.

We already have an upgrade over our signee that decided he wanted to be released from his LOI.

And apparently we have another transfer that is announcing later this week. So good on brownell right?

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 21, 2021, 9:44 AM

I’ve never posted anything negative about the portal or Brownell’s use of it. I’m simply calling out JK for his usual disingenuousness. I’m not sure why you have such a knee jerk need to defend him. You and I might disagree current trajectory of our basketball program but your posts usually seem sincere. JK is a troll who willingly posts misinformation and uses some of the cheapest rhetorical tricks to try and steer the conversation. Just because you agree with his broad belief that Brownell is good for Clemson doesn’t mean you have to support his nonsense. There is more evidence that he actually dislikes Clemson than otherwise - he singularly supports Brownell, no other aspect of Clemson has escaped not just his scrutiny but his scorn. He literally called our fan base “trash” recently. There were not qualifiers - not “fans who” or “fans like”, just Clemson fans are trash. This is who you continue to go out of your way to defend.

That we have upgraded those positions is highly subjective. I’m not going to critique individual players but Rivals disagrees with you in reference to our incoming class. Our previous 3 person class was ranked in the 40s. The current class is ranked 51st.

And no, I’m not good on Brownell. But it’s because of 11 years of data to examine. Not any one particular transfer or recruit right now.

But we can respectfully disagree. You think there is reason for optimism. I don’t. I don’t know why you think a team losing more than half its offense and over 60% of its defense is going to be better next year. A single departing player led the team in nearly every category (defense and offensive). He drew the most intense defense. Do you really think that Dawes, Tyson, or Honor can replace that productivity once one of them is drawing that level of defensive pressure? Seems pretty obvious that Clemson isn’t going to modify his contract so we get to ride the merry go round one more time. I don’t think it will end well but would be happy to be wrong and see him somehow improve on this season.

Apr 21, 2021, 9:58 AM

I don’t think he was being disingenuous at all.

The sentiment on this board when we lost transfers was that it was a sign of the program imploding or that players didn’t want to play for brownell. IMO that is not the case and I think that’s what Judge was pointing out. Most teams have transfers this year and what is happening to Clemson is not abnormal.

Also the two players we added due to the transfer/being released from LOI are significant upgrades IMO

Apr 21, 2021, 9:59 AM [ in reply to Re: Texas A&M has lost 6 basketball players to the transfer portal this offseason. ]

they literally know nothing about hoops. absolutely nothing

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Apr 21, 2021, 10:05 AM

theclash® said:

I’m sorry that we signed an upgrade over Newman. I’m sure that hurt your widdle feelings.

Apr 21, 2021, 10:10 AM

oh you poor honey - they look like this.
#bradball

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Apr 21, 2021, 10:15 AM

theclash® said:

oh you poor honey - they look like this.
#bradball

Man, that was one #### of a burn. You really got me good there. Haha! I don’t even know what a basketball is!

Now go back to your corner and cry about brownell some more.

Apr 21, 2021, 1:04 PM [ in reply to Re: Texas A&M has lost 6 basketball players to the transfer portal this offseason. ]

theclash® said:

I’m sorry that we signed an upgrade over Newman. I’m sure that hurt your widdle feelings.

I think Collins is an upgrade for Trapp's minutes as well as Newman that you mentioned. Collins has some playmaking ability for a big wing that Newman certainly didn't have, but also better than Trapp who had some. Besides averaging over 12.5 pts, and over 3 rebounds a game, Collins averaged over 3.3 assists a game.
That is really good for more of an off guard.

Another quality bigger wing who can play the 4 some would really make us a lot better over all even without Simms.

Apr 21, 2021, 7:15 PM

It’s pretty hard to compare a guy who has played most of his minutes against American Athletic Conference competition and ACC competition. Newman and Collins were both 3 stars but Newman was ranked 12 spots higher as a guard coming out of high school. The new signee is also lower ranked than the player he is replacing. I’m not trying to bash these kids but it is hard not to see see jumping to the idea that we are improving these position as anything but being a homer.

Apr 21, 2021, 10:57 PM

I think it’s pretty evident that Collins is an upgrade. More experience, better scoring background and better 3 pt shooting percentage.

You are probably right on it being too early to call on Middlebrookes being an upgrade. I usually go by offer list and I believe middlebrooks is better. Although I did forget that Taylor’s offers included Ohio st, Marquette, and Wisconsin.

Does aTm need a "Mrs. Judge K. Williams" in College Station?

Apr 21, 2021, 8:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Texas A&M has lost 6 basketball players to the transfer portal this offseason. ]

Buzzer Beater!!!

Please take off your tinfoil hat and listen.

Apr 21, 2021, 3:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Texas A&M has lost 6 basketball players to the transfer portal this offseason. ]

The main point of this thread was to illustrate what I consider to be a downside of the transfer portal. I used the example of Texas A&M, a school that is going to see a ton of roster turnover as a result of the portal. Everyone here is familiar with Texas A&M, as they are in the SEC, we have had a transfer from there in the past (Eli Thomas), and might have another in the near future. I also thought they were a relevant example since Buzz Williams is their coach, and we played his Virginia Tech teams in the not too distant past.

You are correct in that VT has had 6 players enter the portal this year, whereas we have only had half of that. That is important to note, since some people here have been quite dramatic about the three we've had transfer and used that to draw ridiculous conclusions about our program.

But if you're going to give Buzz Williams the benefit of the doubt as he manages his roster during this new era of the transfer portal, then perhaps Brad Brownell should also be given the same courtesy. That's especially true if you are a Clemson basketball fan.

Since you brought it up, last year was one of our 10-15 best seasons in program history. As I've mentioned before, we haven't finished in the top third of the ACC many times (10) or made very many NCAA Tournaments (12) in program history.

I suggest that you stop reading into things so much. Take a post at face value, and either respond or move on to the next one. This isn't supposed to be hard, and you're making it unnecessarily complicated as usual.

Re: Please take off your tinfoil hat and listen.

Apr 21, 2021, 5:44 PM

And 50% of teams who made the NCAA tournament lost in the first round.***

Apr 21, 2021, 7:01 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thank you for weighing in.***

Apr 21, 2021, 4:03 PM

I couldn't care less about 1-2 transfers

Apr 21, 2021, 12:26 PM

I would like to see us win more than 2 games in the ACC tournament though.

Well, upgrading our roster is how we do that.

Apr 21, 2021, 4:02 PM

So you should care very much about the new players we acquire.

Re: Well, upgrading our roster is how we do that.

Apr 21, 2021, 7:16 PM

Let us know when it happens. Rivals and 247 disagree that we’ve upgraded anything yet.

Dook has had 4 enter the portal

Apr 21, 2021, 6:22 PM

and Hurt is off to the pros

Re: Dook has had 4 enter the portal

Apr 21, 2021, 8:47 PM

Ssssshhhh. Doesn’t fit the narrative.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic