Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Swofford and The ACC
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Swofford and The ACC

Jul 31, 2021, 10:59 AM

I am no fan of the recently retired ACC Commish but I want to put his sorry job as commish in perspective. He did not have sole decision making authority to implement changes within the ACC. He was governed by the ACC University Presidents, ADs and BOTs. Why did the ACC university leaders let Swofford negoiate the worst tv contract of any power 5 conference? Why did they approve a 20 year tv contract. No other power 5 school had signed a 20 year tv contract. Did the powers that be feel that the ACC was so weak that any tv deal was better than no tv deal? Did any ACC President, AD, or BOT object to the contract that was negoiated? How involved in the negoiation were the ACC members?

Why did the ACC member schools let ND use the ACC last year and not use the leverage to get them to join the ACC?

Why did the ACC members push basketball over football by expansion of schools with strong basketball programs vs schools with strong football programs in the last expansions. All ACC schools had to vote on new schools joining the ACC. Swofford could not just go out and bring in any school he wanted without approval from the ACC member schools.

What is the future of the ACC? ESPN has a pretty good analysis here of where the conferences are headed and there is a yuge money gap between the ACC and the SEC, "The Big 12 distributed an average of about $38 million to its members in fiscal 2020, which ranked third among Power 5 leagues, behind the Big Ten ($54.3 million) and SEC ($45.5 million), The ACC, meanwhile, distributed at least $27 million to each school that year, according to USA Today.:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/31906566/texas-oklahoma-sec-history-drama-why-happening-now

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson made $34 not $27. The impact ACC

Jul 31, 2021, 11:21 AM

was impacted by the rollout and expenses of the ACC network. It was expected to be lower in the beginning but Covid hitting in the first year of launch would have severely impacted projections and now who knows as the whole entertainment market has shifted because of that a lot faster than anticipated. The ACC would and was headed to make more than the B12 and Pac12. The B10 and SEC were and are going to increase the gap regardless without marquee football program additions to the ACC.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Okay:

Jul 31, 2021, 11:59 AM

1. The TV contract aligns with tv ratings of a conference made up of mostly smaller state universities with 5 private schools.
2. How do you know they didn't try to get ND as a full member? Even for one year, it was a great move as in #3 vs. #2 in ACCCG, and two schools in playoff.
3. You're wrong. Miami, VT, and BC were all football first. Cuse and Louisville were basketball first. Much prefer these 5 over UCF and USF.
4. The future will be more of the same. See #1.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Okay:

Jul 31, 2021, 12:28 PM

#1. No one signs a 20 year tv contract. Not even one "made up of mostly smaller state universities with 5 private schools". If we were favoring basketball over FB, we had 4 very strong basketball schools which should have generated more tv revenue in contract.(UNC, DUKE, LOUISVILLE, CUSE)

#2. They had leverage on ND. They did not use that leverage. The fact that they allowed ND to play full schedule tells you they did not do anything more than say"pretty please, join our conference." Shoulda told ND join the conference or go try and play a full schedule and try to make it to natl. championship game on your own. The ACC had ND by the ballllls and let them go. And now will likely never get them to join conference.

#3 The last four expansion teams were not football schools. BC was not strong in FB.

My point is that Swofford could not do anything major w/o ACC member's approval. And they obviously approved. Doesn't give one a warm fuzzy feeling about the future of the ACC.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It benefitted the conference just for the one year with ND.

Jul 31, 2021, 12:45 PM

Had there ever been a more highly rated game in the ACCCG? It also helps the ACC more than ND to play them 5 times every year.

At the time BC joined, they were strong in football as were Miami and VT. BC won the Atlantic Division in 07 and 08. They won 8 consecutive bowls 2000-2007, and were a better program than we were at the time. The presidents of the other ACC schools can't help that Miami, VT, BC (along with FSU, State, Wake, Gt, etc.) regressed in football. The blame has to be on those universities.

ND being in the ACC in all sports except football, benefits the ACC. Giving them ultimatums may make you feel all bada$$, but doesn't do much.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It benefitted the conference just for the one year with ND.

Jul 31, 2021, 1:59 PM

"ND being in the ACC in all sports except football, benefits the ACC. Giving them ultimatums may make you feel all bada$$, but doesn't do much."

Well, guess I am not the only bad azzzz. Looks like at least one ACC coach and others inside the ACC are also a bad azzzzzz. Here's quote from ESPN article, you might want to read if you are going to comment on what I posted.

Quote"

"AND THERE ARE SOME INSIDE THE ACC STILL UPSET THE LEAGUE DID NOT USE ITS LEVERAGE TO BRING NOTRE DAME IN AS A FULL TIME MEMBER."

"We had the perfect ultimatum last year," one coach said. "We had them, they had nowhere to go. What would they have done? Why would we do that? Because we know that's our lifeboat out from where we're at right now. And to be honest, is that not Notre Dame's lifeboat? Can they survive if the Big Ten and the SEC start lapping everybody? Instead, we just let them run through the front door, take all of our stuff and run out the back."

ND could have stayed independent last year. They

Jul 31, 2021, 2:31 PM

may not have scrapped together 10 games but would have scrapped together as many as the BIG did.

Re: It benefitted the conference just for the one year with ND.

Jul 31, 2021, 2:20 PM [ in reply to It benefitted the conference just for the one year with ND. ]

“ ND being in the ACC in all sports except football, benefits the ACC.”

Couldn’t be more wrong. Having ND in all other sports benefits no one but NOTRE DAME, not the ACC. Other sports aren’t making money off of ND. In fact, they aren’t making money at all.

If the ACC will ever benefit from ND, it will be if they join in football. ND is the only benefactor in having a home for all other sports. Allowing them to join for all other sports should have only been a sales pitch for football at some point in the near future. The near future is NOW.

ACC benefits from their presence in other sports.

Jul 31, 2021, 2:41 PM

ND is good in men and women's basketball, baseball, softball, lacrosse...

You're right about the money in other sports, but the ACC schools who play ND at home in football benefit more than ND, especially the weaker football schools.

The stronger football schools also benefit with home games against ND.

ND having to play 5 games against the ACC each year is a money maker for ACC schools.

Re: Swofford and The ACC

Jul 31, 2021, 12:16 PM

It's bc the entire time that John Swofford was the Commissioner of the ACC, his #1 thought when making any decision was how did it fit in with UNC first, and foremost. If any decision he made didn't benefit UNC in the best way over any other ACC school, it wasn't a good deal for the ACC!!!

Just answer this question to yourself, how many ACC members that got in trouble with the NCAA, did John Swofford stand beside during, and after the hearings, and ask for favors during the punishment faze, that actually helped UNC in getting little to no punishment's for all the dirty dealings that had been going on at UNCheat for more than 20 years. The answer is, Swofford never stood by any other member schools of the ACC asking for favors in their punishment faze, but for UNCheat!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My Take

Jul 31, 2021, 1:48 PM

I've read many times over the years that Tobacco Road (the Duke/UNC/NCST/WF area) has run the ACC for decades. This is why the emphasis on basketball over football. Or maybe they just controlled the basketball aspect of the conference.

Could this explain the slow reaction to the oversized shift of revenue towards football? They had no clue it would happen and the 20-year TV contract seemed OK at the time.

For the record, I was born/raised in the Midwest, graduated from a B1G school and have lived in Texas the last 35 years. I also don't know much or care about the current ACC other than Clemson football.

Just my 2 cents.

Re: My Take

Jul 31, 2021, 2:23 PM

Tobacco Road controlled it all. After addition of FSU, things started to change slightly but adding the "powers" of VT, BC, Miami, etc. just seemed to dilute the basketball strengths while not really helping football. Decisions on scheduling, not going after rogue institutions like UNC with a huge scandal while not defending a school that lost a trophy over a tee shirt (GT) were typical. The former leader did no one any favors except to help save UNCs rear. Pulled an ACC football championship game from Charlotte over bathrooms, it goes on and on. The conference is at a huge crossroads now. I seriously doubt it exists as it is in 5 years. Only chance is pull in ND and Penn State. Otherwise the SEC just gets bigger and bigger and we go to a two tier system with the biggest 32 or so and then the next 32 or so.

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic