Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Swofford & ACC Future
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1

Swofford & ACC Future

Jul 27, 2021, 2:30 AM

It's time like these, it's even more clear to see our Ex-Commish really ran the ACC brand into the ground. When all the balance sheets demonstrated one-and-done college basketball was a dying animal, the ACC pursued a basketball-heavy agenda in the Northeast.

Mike Slive, unlike Swofford, was strategically way ahead of the market curve and set the SEC on a solid course. College football has flourished. Still Clemson made the right decision to stay in the ACC, even though we split a diminished ACC pay check with so many ACC schools who choose not to compete in football and just as many who are chronically incompetent.

Landscape changes are coming -- Clemson will have a seat at the table. Some ACC schools will not.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Swofford & ACC Future

Jul 27, 2021, 5:28 AM

When all is said and done, I hope it’s around 50-60 teams split from the rest of FBS so there will be three divisions in Division 1

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Swofford & ACC Future

Jul 27, 2021, 9:31 AM

Always looking to place the blame on someone else are you? Up until the last month, there was never any talk about the poor old ACC and all the talk on this site was about how we would march through the ACC and go to any Playoff. Your view of history is lacking because the ACC was always a basketball conference and the money came from basketball. After the football world changed and the money was there, the ACC, wisely, obtained new members that added tv markets and the conference was able to get a better deal with tv rights. The money per school increased when the Playoffs started and the millions rolled in when ACC teams were involved.

There are 14 football playing ACC members so I don't know where your contention that schools earn money and don't play football. There will never be a conference that requires schools to win in a sport to remain as members. Conferences are not the English Premier League where the bottom teams are kicked out and new teams added each year.

-1 Really?

Jul 28, 2021, 12:38 AM

1) Do you get your news only from this site?
2) I attended Clemson from SE VA largely because of ACC hoops and the warm climate ... 1979-1984 when hoops mattered. I've attended numerous ACC tourneys, a dozen regionals, and three final fours so I get the basketball heritage which no longer matters.
3) Times have changed since 2000 and the initiation of "one and done". Football now provides 90% of conference revenues. Most ACC schools currently suck at football if you do not follow the sport. To my point, most ACC schools make no attempt to compete at football as the revenue splits are equal regardless that only Clemson earns post-season revenue. And even low-level SEC (e.g. uSC) & BIG 10 schools make 20%-plus more revenue than Clemson and ACC schools.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson doesn’t earn the ACC more revenue in

Jul 28, 2021, 8:30 AM

the post-season than anyone else. Playoff $ is split amongst the power5 and g5 conf by a predetermined shares regardless if they have a team participate or not. This may be revamped based on playoff expansion but it’s been like that since inception. The teams participating get enough directly to basically cover costs. The ACC gets the Orange Bowl $ and other bowl $ whether Clemson makes a bowl or not. I think the only league that doesn’t split $ evenly is the one that is about to fold …..the B12

Replies: 4
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic