Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So, NOW who wins the Heistman? Every frontrunner has
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

So, NOW who wins the Heistman? Every frontrunner has

Dec 2, 2022, 11:44 PM

had a couple bad games. It may be a really close vote, whoever wins it. That is, if most have not already voted. People making their mind up early is what cost Watson the trophy the year that Lemeur won it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So, NOW who wins the Heistman? Every frontrunner has

Dec 2, 2022, 11:45 PM

Caleb Williams...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 2, 2022, 11:46 PM

Caleb Williams

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 2, 2022, 11:46 PM

Williams still wins. It's still been a gutsy performance by him.

Dec 2, 2022, 11:47 PM

I think it will still be Williams. He played hurt for three quarters tonight. It isn’t his fault his defense sucks. His numbers are off the scale good.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Williams likely lost it tonight.

Dec 3, 2022, 12:15 AM

This puts Stetson Bennett as the front runner.

Outside shot - Tennessee receiver Jalin Hyatt or TCU quarterback Max Duggan.

Re: Williams likely lost it tonight.

Dec 3, 2022, 6:36 AM

Stetson Bennet won't get it. That would be a joke. Williams has it way before Bennet

Dec 3, 2022, 9:50 AM [ in reply to Williams likely lost it tonight. ]

Do you not realize voting has been open for a week now and that a huge chunk of ballots were already filled out.....?

Dec 3, 2022, 12:18 PM [ in reply to Williams likely lost it tonight. ]

Duggan if he can have a big game today

Dec 2, 2022, 11:49 PM

DJ

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2022, 6:28 AM

You’re hilarious …

2024 white level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2022, 6:27 AM

If TCU wins and their QB puts up big numbers - him.

2024 white level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2022, 6:42 AM

IF most voters have NOT voted, depending on his game tonight, Drake Maye.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Williams still has the best numbers

Dec 3, 2022, 7:31 AM

And i'll never understand the Lamar thing beyond yall just being homers.

Only regular season games are factored into the Heisman and Lamar was far better than Watson in the regular season that year. Lamar led the country in rushing that year with something stupid like 1600 yards and 6ypc plus over 3000 passing yards. Lamar was right there with Vick as the best dual threat QB in CFB history. He deserves the award.

Watson turned it on in the playoffs, but, unless the Heisman changes their rules, those games dont count.

Re: Williams still has the best numbers

Dec 3, 2022, 9:36 AM

You’re right. And he’s followed it up with an NFL MVP. He was more than just jumping over that Cuse player, and deserving.

Dec 3, 2022, 3:36 PM

They will need to recall the Heisman votes now!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nope

Dec 3, 2022, 10:56 AM [ in reply to Williams still has the best numbers ]

Conference championships are very much still a time for Heisman voters to cast their vote.

That said, voters can send in their vote prior to CC games being played.

Concerning Jackson over Watson, LJ had some stupid video game numbers but most were against subpar competition and their team basically fell apart in November which is what most posters remember.

FWIW he did put up some crazy numbers against our defense too so I don't necessarily have an issue with Jackson winning but you could argue Watson's strong finish could've been enough to ###### the Heisman trophy based on how Louisville fell apart at the end of the season.

It's not being homers - check the numbers

Dec 3, 2022, 11:05 AM [ in reply to Williams still has the best numbers ]

It could have gone either way but to say we're being homers is silly. Jackson and Watson's total yardage and TDs (passing and rushing) were very similar in 2016 with Jackson having more rushing yards and TDs and Watson having more passing yards and TDs. Both players had a little over 5000 total yards and 50 TDs. Watson had a strong case the year before with the first 4000/1000 season.

I know DW had 2 more games but he led his team to those games. It's really a team award; see most winners. Plus Watson won the head to head then the national championship while Jackson's season didn't end very well. But, like you said, college football's most popular trophy outside of the national championship has strange rules being given out before the bowls. They probably want the extra hype between the regular season and the bowls, but that backfires some years.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/lamar-jackson-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/deshaun-watson-1.html

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've posted the numbers before

Dec 3, 2022, 12:11 PM

Ive even taken the time to remove the bowl game stats. Watson had around 800 yards in the playoff games which can't be factored in. I'll do it again though...

The numbers were roughly this:

Lamar (12 games): 3400 passing, 8.9 YPA, 1540 rushing, 6.6 YPC, 51 TDs, 9 INTs

Watson (13 games): 3900 passing, 8.0 YPA, 540 rushing, 4.2 YPC, 43 TDs. 15 INTs

I don't really see where Watson had an advantage in anything. Watson had 500 more passing yards but also attempted alot more passes while Lamar had a full 1000 more rushing yards and did it averaging 6.6ypc which is staggering when you consider that sack yardage is removed from rushing stats in college.

Lamar averaged more yards per pass, more yards per rush, and had more total yards and more total TDs (plus 6 less INTs) despite playing one less game.

And to prove that it wasn't all just a fluke, a) Louisville completely imploded after he left while he was b) winning an NFL MVP.

I'll argue for Watson over Henry in 2015 but not Watson over Lamar in 2016.

Good breakdown

Dec 3, 2022, 12:36 PM

But I still say it could have gone either way like you pointed out about the year before. It often goes to the best player on the best team like it did with Derrick Henry in 2015. Henry had 2200 rushing yards and 28 TDs but that's it, no special teams return yards or TDs. And idk how many of his yards were gained in the playoffs. But DW was on a better team than Lamar in 2016 winning the head to head and finishing the regular season better but apparently voters had already voted or made up their minds.

Jackson had a bunch of lost fumbles in 2016. Not sure how

Dec 3, 2022, 3:44 PM [ in reply to I've posted the numbers before ]

those numbers are found. His turnovers were similar to Watson when fumbles added.

Dec 3, 2022, 3:02 PM [ in reply to Williams still has the best numbers ]

Voting shouldn’t open until the season is over. It should matter who can guide his team the furthest in the playoffs. Doesn’t mean you have to play on a playoff team to win it. Just include all of the data before voting.

Dec 3, 2022, 3:27 PM [ in reply to Williams still has the best numbers ]

And 2018 Kyler Murray wins loses to Tua (finalist with Haskins) and Tua looses to Trevor. It should be The Award for The Best Player Selected Before The Most Meaningful Games of the Season Award.

Williams will win it.

Dec 3, 2022, 7:39 AM

He was playing great before being injured. He toughed it out and remained in the game though clearly injured. He didn't hurt his chances.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2022, 8:30 AM

Williams wins the Heisman. He is the single reason USC had the season they had. Their defense gets some turnovers but they are on the whole terrible. Their Oline is trash- DJ would be sacked 10 times last night if he had to play behind that line, Williams escapes and makes plays.

Dec 3, 2022, 9:51 AM

Voting has already been open and many, if not most, voters have already voted. This week will have virtually no impact on the Heisman. Caleb Williams will win the Heisman.

I honestly don't care.

Dec 3, 2022, 10:05 AM

Heisman hasn't meant much for quite awhile.

Lamar Jackson.

Dec 3, 2022, 10:10 AM

OH SNAP!!! Dat cray

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2022, 11:12 AM

Likely Williams. Most folks probably voted before this weekend. Even if not, he was banged up and no one has been as electric this year.

Dec 3, 2022, 11:46 AM

I have to agree with the majority here, it's Williams winning the Heisman. He played a great game last night while injured, that will make an impact on any voters who haven't already submitted their ballots. Personally I think it's become the best stats award, not best player. A defensive player hasn't won it in over 20 years, and several years there's been a defensive player worthy.

2024 purple level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2022, 12:16 PM

Caleb Williams. Most voters voted a long time ago. And BTW - who cares?

Williams still probably has the best numbers.

Dec 3, 2022, 12:57 PM

Plus voting has been open for a week.

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic