Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So I was listening to my buddy Walt Deptoola the other day and
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

So I was listening to my buddy Walt Deptoola the other day and

Feb 2, 2023, 3:42 PM

according to him we won't do any better in football until we have better receivers. So I looked at TCU.

In 2021 they had 2,828 passing yards. Their leading receiver yardage-wise was Quentin Johnson with 33 catches for 612 yards, while Derious Davis had 36 catches for 518 yards.

For the sake of comparison, in 2022, Antonio Williams had 47 catches for 604 yards, while Joe Ngata had 41 catches for 526 yards. That is, our two best WRs in 2022 had better seasons than TCU's two best receivers did in 2021.

Enter Garrett Riley in 2022. TCU's passing offense went 2,838 yards to 3,926 yards, nearly a thousand yard increase!

Quentin Johnson went from 33 catches w/ 612 yards to 60 catches for 1,069 yards, and Derious Davis went from 36 catches w/ 518 yards to 42 catches for 531 yards. At the same time WR Taye Barber went from 30 catches w/ 499 yards to 37 catches for 531 yards.

Point through all of this is - TCU didn't appear to have great receivers in 2021, but when an improved scheme was introduced at TCU, then passing numbers went up by a big margin.

We saw immediate "improvement" in our WRs when Cade came in. Now that that another level with the new, proven scheme.

I believe that time will tell that our WRs aren't nearly as bad as Walt has been suggesting. He latched on to the poor WR garbage when he was trying to defend his previous statement saying DJ would win a Heisman before going in the 1st round of the NFL draft. Walt refused to ever admit his mistake and how DJ was holding back our passing game. He threw the WRs under the bus trying to defend DJ, and many "loyal listeners" latched on to this.

Meanwhile, I'm thinking we'll see a DRAMATIC increase in receptions, and several WRs will appear much "improved" in 2023.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

2,838 yards to 3,926 yards, nearly a thousand yard increase

Feb 2, 2023, 4:25 PM

You math good

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I needed to make a phone call yesterday on the payphone

Feb 2, 2023, 4:32 PM

and didn't have any change on me. So I asked a guy if he had a quarter to spare. He gave me three.

"Gee, Mr! That's almost 50 cents, I said".

He looked at me and told me to go away.

Were you calling Doc Brown to let him know you found a way

Feb 2, 2023, 4:35 PM

To power the flux capacitor?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, even better.***

Feb 2, 2023, 5:45 PM [ in reply to 2,838 yards to 3,926 yards, nearly a thousand yard increase ]

Adam Randall is the key to 2023

Feb 2, 2023, 5:54 PM

Can't wait to see how he looks this spring

Re: So I was listening to my buddy Walt Deptoola the other day and

Feb 2, 2023, 6:56 PM

Scoring touchdowns in the red zone is the most important improvement Clemson needs to make. Second they need to improve punt returns. forcing a offense to go 80 or 90 yards every drive is killing the offense. Put one person in charge of punt returns who can identify a receiver with good hands and who is fearless. Next set up blocking for returns so that receiver has a shot at getting 15-20 yard returns on most punts.

Just a quick note on that -

Feb 2, 2023, 8:07 PM

Even after an unbelievably strange game with UT with all the redzone issues, we were still 5th in the country in redzone conversions.

Maybe you were confusing the Orange Bowl with the whole season, but redzone scorimg has not been an issue.

Re: Just a quick note on that -

Feb 2, 2023, 8:24 PM

Natty2023 said:

Even after an unbelievably strange game with UT with all the redzone issues, we were still 5th in the country in redzone conversions.

Maybe you were confusing the Orange Bowl with the whole season, but redzone scorimg has not been an issue.

... until it was an issue.
(I still can't believe they wasted a down to let Davis Allen overthrow (open) Briningstool in the endzone. SMDH!!)

Re: Just a quick note on that -

Feb 2, 2023, 8:30 PM

Natty2023 said:

... until it was an issue.
(I still can't believe they wasted a down to let Davis Allen overthrow (open) Briningstool in the endzone. SMDH!!)

Of course, I shld hv known the great offensive mind(s) was/were in the fogs. They didn't seem to know that the Vols had seen the fake FG play on film. Anybody else think that play would work twice in 2022? (SMDH)????

UT did absolutely nothing on the fake FG.

Feb 2, 2023, 8:32 PM

If Swinney pitches, then Potter may still be running.

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic