Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Should total NIL haul of a team be required to be public?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Should total NIL haul of a team be required to be public?

Dec 8, 2021, 11:19 AM

Seems to me that this is going to be the primary difference maker in college football going forward. If our NIL haul is say $100,000 for our team for the year and we are going up against a team with NIL of say 5 million dollars I would like to know that.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Should total NIL haul of a team be required to be public?

Dec 8, 2021, 11:22 AM

Why? Are you going to pony up the difference?

Dec 8, 2021, 11:26 AM

No, so I would know what we are up against. Same as knowing their other stats... Playing for money, to keep their NIL for example, can be a powerful difference maker, may be?

as a quasi- salary cap metric

Dec 8, 2021, 11:35 AM [ in reply to Re: Should total NIL haul of a team be required to be public? ]

since there's been a big movement for more parity in cfb, with the transfer portal and NIL, i think being more transparent would help that.

Re: as a quasi- salary cap metric

Dec 8, 2021, 12:05 PM

Interesting, the movement for parity is happening somewhat between the players and coaches, but not amongst the teams. The big blue-bloods will just get all the 4 and 5 stars and eventually win all the championships. It will be top 10 or bust. The other 120 teams might as well form a separate FBS and play for a separate Natty.

Hey, while you're at it you should add

Dec 8, 2021, 12:08 PM [ in reply to as a quasi- salary cap metric ]

indivdual earnings these kids have working part time jobs, then also add their parental tax returns. It would certainly be relevant to your data set, and probably just as important.

This is kinda like all MLB, NBA, and NFL championships being won by the cities of NY and LA because their players get more endorsements in major markets and therefore they circumvent the salary cap.

RIGHT?

Re: Hey, while you're at it you should add

Dec 8, 2021, 1:34 PM

When did La and New York win all the Championships?
Certainly not this year.

Exactly

Dec 8, 2021, 10:37 PM

Same reason Texas won’t be winning national championships. Individual endorsements outside of the game do not have impact on the game. Not at the college level, not at the professional level.

Dec 8, 2021, 1:37 PM [ in reply to Hey, while you're at it you should add ]

Someone ask a valid question about a system that is ruining college athletic’s and you build a straw man and burn it down!
All those sports have salary caps.
They limit Rookie deals.
They give account of who gets paid what.
Why is it outrageous to ask the same of college players if they wanna be professional?
It’s not a bad or dumb question.

exactly my point

Dec 8, 2021, 10:36 PM

Scholarship is worth a scholarship. And every school. That’s your salary cap.

What kids make it in endorsements is their own business. Same as the NFL.

If you are worried about college football players and their private endorsements changing the game, look no farther than professional sports and you’ll see it has no impact.

Dec 8, 2021, 1:42 PM [ in reply to Hey, while you're at it you should add ]

SInce you believe it makes little difference then there is nothing wrong with making NIL deals public and making a requirement that they be public. (Kids's tax returns are of course private, some may be earning millions a year in trust money for all we know, and good for them!)

It is just a question of competitive balance. Do we want to schedule a team that has, say 50x to 100x more NIL money per person than our team?

Kids making endorsement money…

Dec 8, 2021, 10:12 PM

doesn’t translate to better play on the field. Our QB is a perfect example of that. So just because you’re playing a team with a player getting a million bucks from Dr. Pepper and your best guy only get $1000 from Larry’s used cars, doesn’t mean you’re at a disadvantage.

Re: Kids making endorsement money…

Dec 8, 2021, 10:58 PM

True somewhat, but it is a fact that the teams that get the higher rated recruits are consistently the elite. So yes the teams with the most NIL will win out while you and get discouraged and stop watching.

I told my wife if it keeps going this way I will probably not be watching CFB in 5 years. And folks I love my Tigers and CFB.

I just really hope schools and “cough” NCAA start to see the big picture and the importance of a somewhat level playing field and come up with some kind rules before it is too late.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not possible.

Dec 9, 2021, 12:54 PM [ in reply to Re: Hey, while you're at it you should add ]

No one can "make" that public, nor require it to be public.

Dec 8, 2021, 10:02 PM [ in reply to Hey, while you're at it you should add ]

The differences on the major league level are small compared to the differences between the great college programs and all the others. Obtaining players by offering large NIL deals will only grow the gap.

And the question then becomes: Why.

Dec 9, 2021, 12:57 PM

Why is it so different between major league levels and college programs? It's not. All of the "terrible" this is doing for CFB is simply conjecture. Schools CANNOT "obtain" players by offering large NIL deals.

Will some bend the rules? Of course!

This is back to the same old arguement when the SEC started their own network, got in bed with espn, etc. ZOMG HOW IS ANYONE GOING TO COMPETE?

Then look what's happened since them. Status. Quo. The SEC has not separated from anyone due to the "arms race".

Dec 8, 2021, 11:29 AM

i assume the NIL is taxable income

pick a florida team , or tennessee, no income tax

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 8, 2021, 11:35 AM

Going to guess the team with the 5 Million in NIL dollar wants it to be public as well.

The high dollar NIL teams will let the recruits know...so it's not something that won't eventually be public knowledge.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 8, 2021, 1:39 PM

At a PUBLIC university financed by tax money? Absolutely

Dec 8, 2021, 11:02 PM

This may also catch those who cross the line and break the rules. It think since fans are paying for NIL we have a right to audits.

I think to it will be more important than ever to watch the official’s and have them audited each season. With all of the millions of dollars being bet on CF you know organized crime will try to muscle in for a piece of the college football money tree.

Maybe the TP will implode on top of the NCAA’s corporate office. Lol ??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic