Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Serious Question for long time Clemson fans
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 44
| visibility 1

Serious Question for long time Clemson fans

Jul 7, 2022, 11:27 AM

I am sure I will get voted down with this post, but I do not care. I rarely post on here, but am on the site probably 30 times a day. Been a Clemson fan for over 40 years. Anyways, my question is this how did we get so many people on here that are always whining about other people or calling them a Coot? I used to enjoy reading good dialogue on here. I just guess I was more proud of our fanbase. Now not as much. This is for the older fans and posters. When did it change? Why can people not discuss what they feel without being criticized for it? Go ahead and check, I do not remember a time where I personally was criticized on here, so I am not complaining about my treatment (until after this post).

Judge Keller you take a lot of crap for your belief in Brownell. I do not share this enthusiasm, however I do appreciate your well thought arguments for him. Many of you say things that I do no agree with, but that is what makes us special. Life is way to short for people to be keyboard bullies.

Yes I know I intentionally posted of football board, yes I know I must be a coot and yes I know all that I said may not be grammatically correct. Anyways, I appreciate each of you and your thoughts and ideas, your experiences and your "inside information".

Go Tigers!!!

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who put the "L" in BrowneLL

Re: Serious Question for long time Clemson fans

Jul 7, 2022, 11:34 AM

Serious answer: TNet does not equal “our fanbase”.

HTH

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I sure hope you are correct.

Jul 7, 2022, 12:19 PM

For the sake of our fanbase.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Jul 7, 2022, 11:35 AM

Well as someone who takes the abuse from these boomers, I can say that I too was rather disappointed in the fanbase that dominates this site. I've gotten mad and threw an online tantrum and stopped posting for a while but it's so boring at work sometimes I can't help myself. Personally I think it's pretty stupid and just go along with it now. I do enjoy the actual conversations about recruiting and other sports related topics when I can post and not get bombarded with stupidity.

Also I agree Judge Keller seems to take the most here and keeps on keeping on. Gotta respect him for his tenacity here.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 7, 2022, 11:37 AM

I believe it to be more of a reflection on our society in general rather than this board in particular. We have pretty much become a nasty bunch with the exception of those many that are still kind, but not as vocal as the nasty ones. I tend to choose what I listen too and overlook the rest.

Jul 7, 2022, 11:41 AM

I disagree. I have seen more negative comments being on tigernet then I did the whole 10 years I used to have facebook or twitter. I don't have any social media besides tiktok which I never make videos and posting here on TNET. This is by far one of the more toxic online communities. But if you can roll with the punches for a while, you will see that it's the same 2-5 posters who suck and just want to spread negativity.

Marlborocountycoot = ClemsonAlum1987 = coltdizzle

Jul 7, 2022, 12:10 PM

Once you hoist a few trophies up,

Jul 7, 2022, 12:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Serious Question for long time Clemson fans ]

fans generally get pretty ridiculous. I agree... the last few years on T-net have been hard to watch at times.

If you don't join the majority angry mob, their name-calling begins.

Transfer portal, coaching changes demands, conference changes, getting upset about Paul Finebaum, arguing over who should play slot receiver.

Everyone has forgotten how good we have it. Dabo somehow pulled out 10 wins with the worst offense I've seen in a long time. Be happy to be a part of it.

Let your gratitude be higher than your expectations.

Jul 7, 2022, 12:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Serious Question for long time Clemson fans ]

Get yourself back on Twitter. It is all about providing the hot/fire take and ripping the #### out of other people.

Politics/Sport/GrandmasWhoKnit ….doesn’t matter, every one is out to be the most clever and biggest ######## more or less.

Facebook not much different.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 7, 2022, 3:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Serious Question for long time Clemson fans ]

I agree with you. It's not only a TigerNet issue.
It's a nationwide epidemic.
Being kind doesn't cost one red cent.
There are a few in here that are just plain rude and practically bullies.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 7, 2022, 3:19 PM

But as a whole, I'll estimate 90% of posters are mostly considerate to others.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A large portion of those who post on Tigernet are fans of the sports teams. That is their only connection with Clemson. Most have never spent an hour in a classroom or ran to class in the rain for fear of being late. Many do absolutely nothing to help the university be a success but are quick to point out all the mistakes made by the leaders of this great university. Unfortunately many of these fans are quick to hate anyone or anything that differs from thief beliefs.

As for one I respect tnetters as you are and welcome your thoughts.

Jul 7, 2022, 11:45 AM

Also, a large portion of the posters on here not Clemson fans at all or are scocks just used for trolling.

Jul 7, 2022, 11:48 AM

Noodle

I've rarely seen anyone that posts here not be a Clemson fan or alum. I do however see a lot of people being accused of being a coot or a troll when they are just trying to make conversation about sports topics.

Jul 7, 2022, 11:50 AM

You should open your eyes then…it’s obvious that we have imposters among us. Some may actually be fans but are just here to troll and stir up ####.

At the end, you did everything but

give yourself a TD. Everything else was pretty correct so I gave you a TU.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 7, 2022, 11:53 AM

Great post and I am a 60 year fan because I was probably about 10 when I remember going to football games. First, if you have to worry about boards, the site is not a good one. This is TigerNet, not football at Clemson. Second, you are correct that at some point there was a generational shift where people no longer felt they had to take responsibility for their actions. When I was growing up in the 50's and 60's there were no excuses when mother got the fly swatter after me and I most certainly did not want to have to wait for my father to get home and take off his belt. Blame and excuses are for losers.

The issues you are talking about are issues in the entire nation and are only getting worse. I blame the self-esteem movement in schools when it became the norm for kids to be graded not on what they earned but on keeping them feeling good about themselves. Another cause is participation ribbons. For gosh sake, life has winners and losers, let kids learn if they don't win, they lose.

As far as calling people coots, it is just easier than admitting there are people that not only have other opinions but may actually have better opinions. I enjoy TigerNet but never read every post and never waste time on silly, misworded or misspelled posts that are just begging for attention. Enjoy the good, throw out the speculative, uneducated posts and be a Tiger for 40 more years.

Jul 7, 2022, 12:02 PM

Thanks for your post and for the others who have posted. I am a Tiger fan across the board. I irritate my wife with it. Trying to do better. I am following every football, basketball (men and womens), baseball, soccer, softball and volleyball. Those girls are amazing in person to watch play. Anyways, I agree with your post and would never let someone on an internet board affect who I cheer for. Just was pondering and sometimes just get tired of reading some of the posts. They start out as something informative or interesting and then turn south. Thanks again for each of your posts. I grew up in Easley so I know how real Clemson fans are and their love, passion and respect they have for the University and the Tigers

because it's through the INTERNET......

Jul 7, 2022, 12:04 PM

I've NEVER had a face to face conversation with another Clemson fan where I was called "a coot". I'd probably fall into the TNET category of a "dumper" (or as I like to put it REALIST w/ a touch of pessimism). I've had MANY conversations over the years w/ (as tnet labels them) pumpers/orange colored glass fans and we tend to generally agree with each other's points/topics regarding the team, program, etc....

Society today.

Jul 7, 2022, 12:08 PM

If someone does not agree with you, call them names.

Jul 7, 2022, 12:20 PM

Ok, Clemsonohiotiger, I’ll bite.

My short answer is this;

Those who are relentlessly called coot or given harsher scrutiny have usually earned it.

Let’s take our friend coltdizzle here. Why would anyone give coltdizzle a hard time??

Well,

The coltster, decided he’d start this try on TNet by opening up with an insult to the Tigernet community in his very first post

https://www.tigernet.com/clemson-forum/message/does-anyone-on-here-actually-talk-about-clemson-football-30516511

He complained about not enough football talk, then rolls around to how terrible Brad is, then demands folks only respond with football talk.

At this time in his TNet journey, The Coltster was not a paying member of this forum, but rather a freeloader who opened an account, expressed dissatisfaction with the site he just joined, then demanded terms as to how others should respond to him.

His 2nd effort calls into question our coaches, decision making, whether they’re the right fit, and ridicules players/coaches because lesser talent had to step up because of injury.

https://www.tigernet.com/clemson-forum/message/re-is-grisham-really-a-good-fit-30787893#30787893

So you see, he earned it. He earned it from minute-1, day-1. To see this, you would have had to pay attention.

I could perform this same exercise for J. Keller. It would be longer and more extensive, but what you’ll find there in summary is a person who thinks very little of the average Clemson fan, it’s traditions, cares more about a person within a program than Clemson, and continually take digs at our football program in attempt to elevate his own twisted arguments. He’s also a troll.

Again, you have to pay attention. Same applies to a number of trolls and socks on the forum, but you can always pick from the salad bar here and usually find good content on any given day.

So again in summary, why do some members get deservedly called out on TNet???

They earned it.

By the way I gave you a thumbs up too because I think you’re being honest.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 7, 2022, 12:25 PM

dookie draines who hurt you in life to where this is what you look forward to?

Jul 7, 2022, 12:26 PM

Also Dookie Draines is one of the 2-5 consistent posters who always try and talk down to others.

Jul 7, 2022, 12:32 PM

Thank you for further punctuating my reply to the OP.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 7, 2022, 12:34 PM

You're welcome I truly hope that you enjoy the rest of your day. Stay blessed big dookie!

Jul 7, 2022, 3:32 PM

Your coot head is really messed up. ddraines®is a rock solid Tiger, unlike your coot ###

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

Jul 7, 2022, 12:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Serious Question for long time Clemson fans ]

Fair enough answer. I cannot tell you how many times I have watched a basketball game and cried out please fire Brownell. There has been times I did this with Dabo. I do not know the mindset of each poster, nor how they feel at that moment. It is fair to question respectfully the choices and the overall job coaches do. I realize that my opinion is just that. It doesn't make it right nor wrong. I hope that we can just be more respectful. Probably wont happen, but wanted to ask other peoples opinion who have been long time fans also.

Jul 7, 2022, 12:29 PM

IMO - the attitude that has evolved over the past 40 years (which I too share as I graduated Clemson in 81) - unfortunately mirrors the attitudes of generations after us. There are still some really good people, but as a whole - the woke, snowflakes, blaming, have to get it now, not willing to listen, not willing to work for it, always offended - generation now has deteriorated into much of what you discussed. Then, add social media and the ability to remain anonymous- and it gets worse.
Clearly, thru the years, civility has deteriorated - just like politics. In the day, while there were two parties, there was much “in the middle” and votes were not completely on party lines like today. If someone does not have the same opinion as you - then you become an enemy - even if you have been friends or even family. Ex: If you believe in right to life, then you must hate women, etc. no, you simple believe in right to life.
I am currently in st kits enjoying some R&R and just had this same discussion at the Reggae Bar with 2 new friends from Clemson I just met. (Btw - the bar is owned by Clemson grad). Anyway, over several drinks, laughs, etc - these same issues came up and sickened and saddened us. No more respecting of elders, no more listening to experience, no more listening to others opinions and hopefully finding common ground.
Not sure how or if we can ever turn the clock back (doubtful). Just be the best we can be. Check ourselves (sometimes I posted something I am not happy with)- and try and tune out the “noise”.
I am concerned about the young people of today, along with the USA in general.
I can tell you, the people of St. kits and Nevis do not have the same anger, attitude, traits mentioned above. Maybe it is time to move here. Hummmmmmm.

Stay safe and well. Let’s all do better!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 7, 2022, 12:41 PM

Thanks for your post. I wish I was there with you to argue the finer points of life. Have a great trip and be safe.

Love it. Blaming those who blame.***

Jul 7, 2022, 12:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Serious Question for long time Clemson fans ]

Jul 7, 2022, 2:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Serious Question for long time Clemson fans ]

Thanks for sharing your fun time clemzn. Enjoy a cold beer or good tropical drink.

Jul 7, 2022, 12:50 PM

You find things offensive, I find them funny. That's why I'm happier than you are.

Jul 7, 2022, 12:56 PM

Thanks- Best point missed in this discussion. It’s a message board. Can’t take ourselves too seriously here.

I’m here for information and to have fun. I laugh at least 2-3 times a day reading TNet. We’re not the #1 college sports fan site for nothing after all!!

Jul 7, 2022, 1:01 PM

That's the spirit!

Go Tigers!

Jul 7, 2022, 1:04 PM [ in reply to Re: Serious Question for long time Clemson fans ]

I just laugh off some of these comments that are funny and some actually are humorous. Every fan website has their share of posters like you are speaking of. We are not alone.

Jul 7, 2022, 1:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Serious Question for long time Clemson fans ]

Not sure if you were talking to me here, but I am mostly happy. I find some of the comments funny, especially if they are creative. The continual same comments gets annoying. I respect peoples rights to speak their mind. Sometimes it just reveals they don't have much of one.

I completely agree clemsonohiotiger

Jul 7, 2022, 1:05 PM

I've been called a Coot on here numerous times. It's not funny. And we are supposed to be ALL IN. Clemson is a family, and we should treat each other like family. That doesn't mean we agree with each other all the time. No family does. But at the end of the day, we are still a family. The ultimate insult to any Clemson fan is to call them a Coot. I'd rather be called a moron than a Coot. Just because we may differ on some views doesn't mean we are not on the same team. Disagreeing is actually fun if you do it the right way. Makes life interesting. But sadly we live in an age where people can't disagree and still be civil. Especially in politics but let's leave that alone. Remember, we are all Tigers, and are All In!

People type things online that they would never say to

Jul 7, 2022, 1:30 PM

another face-to-face for fear of getting the snot beat out of you. It's a fairly weak defense mechanism for someone who cannot take criticism of their ideas, much like the two-party political arguments that are part of today's America.

Jul 7, 2022, 3:22 PM

IMO Valley Boy hit the nail on the head. It seems like people cannot politely disagree anymore. Not just in this site, but everywhere. If you have a different opinion you are immediately labeled with some derogatory name. I am an optimist (aka Sunshine pumper) and I’ll admit negativity bothers me to the point I sometimes respond. I graduated CU in 1984 and really believe in the power of pawsitivity. Not only on TNet and all things Clemson related but in life in general. And I guess sometimes that bothers people as much as the negativity bothers me.

Jul 7, 2022, 3:28 PM

Different perspective: Compared to the Nole Board I posted on for years, the discussion here is rational, civil and academic. Of course, I haven't been to the political board here. If I went over there it would probably look a lot like the Nole boards.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 7, 2022, 4:21 PM

I'm a 50+ fan of Clemson.

There are many different generations on this board. Most are avid fans who love Clemson but there are a few who post things that really shouldn't be here or anywhere. Don't let the problem posts create an issue in your mind and ignore it if you can.

One thing will never change and that is GO TIGERS - what a university and I was blessed to have graduated from such an outstanding institution.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 8, 2022, 11:40 AM

Excellent question. I have been a fan of Clemson since the mid-fifties. Graduated in December of 1966 and was a four year letterman (football manager - no demand for 140 pound linebackers). I have been cursed at games for not standing the whole game and been told if I can't stand stay home I'm not a real fan. That includes my wife who has bad knees. Not only have they become rude but a lot of them are drunk as well. Obviously this is not all fans, but these are probably the ones you refer to. When did it change? I saw the big change about 20 years ago as the entitled kids grew up. Their opinion is the only one that counts and failure is not an option. All athletes must be robots and can never make a mistake. After all they are expert coaches on X-Box so they know better than anyone of our coaches.

Jul 8, 2022, 12:02 PM

Good post. Go Tigers

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 8, 2022, 3:41 PM

Exhibit-B showed up today too.

https://www.tigernet.com/clemson-forum/thread/i-keep-reading-that-dabo-is-heavily-involved-in-major-decisions-affecting-clemson-athletics-2161202

Jul 8, 2022, 6:51 PM

Go to the Politics Board for the real fun.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 44
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic