Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Robbie Robinson on prelim Gold Cup roster; could rep USA
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1

Robbie Robinson on prelim Gold Cup roster; could rep USA

Jun 18, 2021, 5:48 PM

This is actually a fairly big deal. Clemson has not had a guy represent the USA since Stuart Holden and Oguchi Onyewu, both several years back...and both players' careers were cut short by injury. Holden was one of the more promising midfielders in the EPL; Onyewu was one of the most imposing center backs the USA has ever fielded and made it all the way to AC Milan in Italy.

Robinson has been showing a great deal of promise playing alongside the Higuain brothers with David Beckham's Inter Miami side; he was drafted first overall in last year's MLS Superdraft. He may or may not make the final cut for the USA for the Gold Cup when the roster gets cut to 23 players, I believe, but the fact that he was named for the prelim roster tells you he's getting closer and is definitely starting to register on the USA's national team radar, and a particularly strong 2021-2022 could put him on the plane to Qatar for the World Cup. He'd have to ball out...but it happens, too. We're seeing the exact same thing happen with Orlando City's Daryl Dik-e, who's emerging from relative MLS obscurity to potentially being a first-teamer with the national team because the dude just plain scores goals.

Put the ball in the back of the net, you get on the plane. So it will be too, for Robinson, if he gets it done. People are looking.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-states-usa/story/4413322/usmnts-gold-cup-preliminary-list-includes-daryl-dikematthew-hoppejozy-altidore

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Robbie Robinson on prelim Gold Cup roster; could rep USA

Jun 18, 2021, 6:09 PM

Any relation to Herbie Robinson? Named after his grandfather who lost his life on the USS Indianapolis. Tigerbalm1® may know the story.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 18, 2021, 6:22 PM

Truly do not know. Only talked to the guy once and that was like, 3-4 years ago. Maybe someone else here knows though.

I only know one dude that was on the indianapolis

Jun 18, 2021, 6:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Robbie Robinson on prelim Gold Cup roster; could rep USA ]

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I only know one dude that was on the indianapolis

Jun 18, 2021, 6:54 PM

Porkers? You wanna talk about porkers?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 18, 2021, 6:51 PM

Robbie has a nice touch with the ball and can finish. Time will tell is he will make it to the next level.

Jun 18, 2021, 7:48 PM

I've definitely thought he could make a Gold Cup roster if can cement himself as a starter there at Inter Miami and really solidify his game. He's probably a notch off where he needs to be at the moment but I think he can get there...he definitely has the ability, IMHO. You train with the likes of Gonzalo Higuaín every day, fight for your spot, and grind, you're going to get better, and he obviously is. Arsène Wenger at Arsenal back in the day had a really simple philosophy on player development I always believed in myself: "to make a great player, I will put him with another great player"...which is kind of: "monkey see, monkey do." But it's true.

Still cool to see Mike Noonan's Clemson assembly line starting to crank out some really top, top-class talents again. Especially with what the USA is producing these days, that is not as easy as it once was...but he's dominated the MLS Superdraft in the last few years.

Replies: 6
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic