Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Regarding "Project" Players
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Regarding "Project" Players

Jan 16, 2022, 8:09 PM

Give Dabo a break when he signs players that the rating services give 3 stars or less...

Here is a partial list of those type players:

Nolan Turner, Hunter Renfrow, Isaiah Simmons, Kobe Pace, Mason Trotter, Jordan McFadden, Chase Brice, James Skalski, Tanner Muse, The Davis Twins, Jordan Leggett, Cordrera Tankersley, TJ Green...All 3 stars or less! I would hate to think where we would have been without them!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Regarding "Project" Players

Jan 16, 2022, 8:18 PM

I don't know if those players were just not well known or under appreciated or all that and then "coached up" but there are some ALL Time Great Tigers in your list!

Go Tigers

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 16, 2022, 8:20 PM

Don’t forget Grady Jarret or Kevin Dodd. DJ Reader, Deshawn Williams, Josh Watson. The list really goes on and on.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You left off one of the biggest, most successful ones. One

Jan 16, 2022, 8:23 PM

Grady Jarrett. Dabo had to fight his own coaching staff to take him. He has told the story before.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 16, 2022, 8:35 PM

With a nod to Klockwerkorange33 and 76er® (who cited Grady Jarrett), other 3* hits on Dabo's watch include Jaron Brown, Adam Humphries, Travis Etienne, Tanner Muse, Tremayne Anchrum, Vic Beasley, and Tyler Shatley; these guys were not only superb for us, but also make (or are still making) NFL paychecks.

Denzel Johnson, Kavon Wallace, and Stanton Seckinger are two other 3*s who come to mind as big time players (or at worst important contributors) to Clemson's success during the Dabo era.

I'm starting to think that maybe, just maybe, our coaches are not too shabby at evaluating HS talent to be able to find so many really fine players that the 'expert recruiting services' don't seem to recognize.

Stanton Seckinger?

Jan 17, 2022, 8:04 AM

Please.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 16, 2022, 8:37 PM

Some of those players were high three stars and some were four stars by some services that you listed. I think some people don’t like that we are giving “scholarships” to guys that should be preferred walk-ons. Hunter Renfrow had to prove it first. He didn’t get a scholly until he proved it. These guys, like the recent CB and WR, seem to be walk-on worthy not scholarship worthy.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 16, 2022, 9:08 PM

Out of all the players I saw listed, only DJ Reader and Josh Watson were 4 star players. All of them except Renfrow were scholarship offers. I only went back 10 years with the first post, but was getting ready to add Humphries, Breeland and Beasley from earlier years, when I found them already added.

Vic Beasley was a two star, and well worth it! https://247sports.com/player/victor-beasley-58468/

Humphries was a very low 3 star (# 35 in SC, not in top 1000 of national. Robert Smith and BJ Goodson were in same class, also low 3 star, also not in top 1000).

Mason Trotter was a 2 star...glad we had him this year!

K'Von Wallace was a low 3 star. The only ones listed that could be considered "high 3 star" per your comment were Pace, I Simmons, Breeland and Anchrum, all .8700 or better.

I am glad that Dabo did not have all of those as walk-ons...they probably would not have been here!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 17, 2022, 7:36 AM

What services do you look at. Like I said “some”services. For example Kobe Pace was a 4* on rivals. I’m not going through every player on that list but I can remember that some were broader line 4* players. I’m okay offering night 3* players. Especially those with decent offer lists. But filling out our class with project players won’t get us to the Natty again. Unless we already had a large class and can afford 3-4 project players. DJ reader for example was wanted by quite a few other teams. I remember being excited because most knew he wasn’t a typical 3*. No one is offering that CB we just got and out one is offering the turner boy. Give those boys preferred walk ons.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We were all psyched to get Vic

Jan 17, 2022, 8:14 AM [ in reply to Re: Regarding "Project" Players ]

He was listed as an athlete/lb recruit and a three-star by Rivals.

Auburn, I believe, wanted him really bad and if I remember correctly, our coaches were on the phone with him until the wee hours of the morning trying to get him to commit.

Also, I think he might have had an Alabama offer.

Vic was no "project player".

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, significant amt 4*s those lists****

Jan 17, 2022, 7:13 AM [ in reply to Re: Regarding "Project" Players ]

I noticed that as well, however

Jan 17, 2022, 8:34 AM [ in reply to Re: Regarding "Project" Players ]

aside from PWO's, guys like Humphries, Ryan Carter, Gaines Adams, Nolan Turner, Jarrett, McDowell, Gallman, Andre Branch, Shuey, Sensabaugh, Legget, Marcus Edmund, Denzel Johnson, most of our OL over the years, and many more were under recruited guys who panned out to contribute to great teams in a myriad of ways. We've always taken flyers on some guys, and we have a track record of identifying guys like these. Let's see where these 2 are in 3 years.

We're not going to have a roster of 85 highly recruited guys.

Jan 16, 2022, 8:44 PM

Hate to burst any bubbles but Dabo doesn't give a rip what anybody thinks.

Jan 16, 2022, 9:12 PM

I think that was the purpose of my post, right?

I was essentially telling all the uninformed to trust Dabo and his evaluations!

We have to, right?

Jan 17, 2022, 8:30 AM

Are the changes in the staff going to change how good we are at evaluating players now?

Valley Boy

Jan 17, 2022, 8:06 AM [ in reply to Re: Regarding "Project" Players ]

This is a really good post discussion. How about add something instead of constantly using your "Dabo doesn't care what you think" catch-phrase.

Jan 16, 2022, 9:15 PM

Never knock a few 3 stars. Never want a whole recruiting class of them but sometimes they come in with something to prove, practice hard and play harder.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MEG

Jan 16, 2022, 9:30 PM

I learned a long time ago not to question coaches' judgements of recruits. I really thought Danny Ford blew one. 6-1, 190 lbs, 4.65/40, LB. My thought was, too small for a LB and too slow for a DB. Lavon Kirkland put on some muscle and became a pretty good player.

Jan 16, 2022, 10:13 PM

"Pretty good player"...understatement of the year (it is a short year)!

Jan 17, 2022, 7:53 AM

Every player is a project. The onl question is to what extent.

I remember Coty Sensabaugh

Jan 17, 2022, 8:01 AM

being a two-star and being great too.

I don't think that anyone is questioning whether the staff knows how to evaluate. We are falling back on our board though and I think that's pretty obvious. When this happens a lot you can certainly see that recruiting is slipping. This year was not a fantastic class compared to other years but that can be expected. One year, ok, a trend something different. It does concern me missing out on those top recruits to UNC before the coaching chaos.

I mean we didn't offer ETN until we missed out on a higher recruit on the board, right? Fallbacks can certainly be great players too. Be interesting to see how well our new coaches recruit. We absolutely need to keep hauling in great DL recruits, this year was really bad.

We don't win a single Natty without our DL recruiting not being one of the tops in the nation.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic