Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question - does ESPN have an option terminate the GOR?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1

Question - does ESPN have an option terminate the GOR?

Jul 4, 2022, 9:01 AM

I haven't seen that discussed yet. We all recognize the challenges with one school trying to escape unilaterally and the most viable routes around it: (1) ND or other team(s) join and we can renegotiate or (2) eight members vote to terminate it. But I wonder if ESPN itself has an option to terminate it on their end and, if so, the criteria. There could be incredible value in letting some of the "big brands" (CU, FSU, UNC, etc.) out of the contract if it moves them to the top tier ESPN property that is the SEC. Sure, the ACC remnants would get to renegotiate and may merge with another group. Whatever that entity looks like, it will not have marquee brands and likely won't be able to command more than the current ACC contract. I don't see a lot of downside risk to ESPN.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Question - does ESPN have an option terminate the GOR?

Jul 4, 2022, 9:08 AM

Directly, most likely not. Indirectly, absolutely. They certainly can assist the conferences in making a power play that would render the ACC defunct but at the time reallocate those funds to other contracts accordingly.

The reality is the ACC has to make some serious power moves soon (like pulling off the unthinkable) or there will be enough teams that will create a majority in leaving and ultimately collapse the conference. Revenues will be the driver from here out. . .loyalty and founding member credentials no longer matter at this point.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Question - does ESPN have an option terminate the GOR?

Jul 4, 2022, 9:14 AM

Well stated truths.
Sankey has a clear end game. Be the absolute Czar of the new world of college football and accomplish that goal by grabbing and controlling all the CFP slots and revenue. He will shrewdly share part if the pie with the BiG but make no mistake he sees this as the moment to strike and alter college football for all.
Forewarnd is forearmed. Move accordingly.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good point since the GOR is to the ACC itself

Jul 4, 2022, 9:23 AM [ in reply to Re: Question - does ESPN have an option terminate the GOR? ]

I guess the better question is could ESPN pull some power play on the ACC which would significantly weaken the value of the GOR. Sticky situation.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Good point since the GOR is to the ACC itself

Jul 4, 2022, 9:39 AM

Personally, I think the Big10 has a stronger interest to gain a foothold in the Southeast. They took the first bold move to become national. Sankey (and ESPN) would mostly being playing defense in a market they dominate already. ESPN must be upset that Fox locked up the LA market with the Big10. ESPN may be pressuring Sankey to make his own West Coast move. That may be the priority before these two set their sights back to the ACC, which of course ESPN already has locked up. I suppose if ND is interested to play along, Fox can help facilitate a crumbling of the GoR and open the door for the Big10.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 4
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic