Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Prior to this season many thought this might be our
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

Prior to this season many thought this might be our

Sep 27, 2022, 5:57 PM

best defense ever. Forget about our DB’s last week (i’m still trying to) but let’s talk about our Line Backers and Defensive Linemen this year...supposedly our strongest point. Last weekend Wake’s quarterback had “all day long” back in the pocket. Rarely did I see him get pressure.

This post is not meant to blame our new Defensive Coordinator, it’s meant to question the performance of our defensive linemen. True statistic...of the four teams we have played to date, each teams quarter back’s best game statically has been against Clemson. Dabo has got to figure a way to light the fire Saturday night?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree.

Sep 27, 2022, 6:04 PM

There was a lot of holding going on but our guys should’ve been able to get to the QB a lot more. Also the delayed run plays should’ve been blown up. Some of those guys are hurting their draft stock and potentially costing themselves a lot of money. I’m hoping our guys will grow from the experience and not allow anything like last Saturday to happen again.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Prior to this season many thought this might be our

Sep 27, 2022, 6:08 PM

Not I because of inexperienced our 2 deep back 7 were. I hope to see something Saturday but I just think our linebackers are not what they have been.

Sep 27, 2022, 6:23 PM

CBV was a high risk, high reward type DC. CWG appears to be much more conservative. He doesn’t blitz or turn the boys loose as much as CBV did.

It’s not the players, it’s the DC.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hard to blitz when that leaves struggling CB's on an island

Sep 27, 2022, 6:35 PM

LB's dropping hopefully at least obstructs some passing lanes. If the CB's grow up, he'll blitz more, just like he did against Iowa St last year.

Of course he had Booth and Goodrich then

Didn't necessarily pick it up watching the game but a

Sep 27, 2022, 6:47 PM

ticker I saw later Saturday stated that all 6 of Hartman's TD passes were on blitz calls by our D.

If we have some more capable personnel back in the secondary Saturday, hopefully we can find some more rewards on those.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Didn't necessarily pick it up watching the game but a

Sep 27, 2022, 6:51 PM

But Judge Keller insists the talent is there and Wes should have kept blitzing (now he’ll pretend he has any idea what it means to disguise a blitz and that he knows exactly how we should do it differently).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Goodwin said we had to blitz to try to create pressure.

Sep 27, 2022, 8:38 PM [ in reply to Didn't necessarily pick it up watching the game but a ]

We just seldom got pressure on the QB. That will make any secondary look bad.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wake did a helluva job of....

Sep 27, 2022, 9:13 PM [ in reply to Didn't necessarily pick it up watching the game but a ]

picking up our blitz. Their backs and line played it well. Smart and veterans. Corners even got caught looking when they knew it was man and there would be a blitz. What a major no no. Musnt do that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hard to blitz when that leaves struggling CB's on an island

Sep 27, 2022, 7:51 PM [ in reply to Hard to blitz when that leaves struggling CB's on an island ]

3- starting DB’s out. Please hold judgement until we’re full strength

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 27, 2022, 7:51 PM [ in reply to Hard to blitz when that leaves struggling CB's on an island ]

3- starting DB’s out. Please hold judgement until we’re full strength

Sep 27, 2022, 7:52 PM

Yes, I said it twice

It has to be the DC.

Sep 27, 2022, 6:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Prior to this season many thought this might be our ]

We have too much talent to struggle the way we have this year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: It has to be the DC.

Sep 27, 2022, 6:50 PM

Further evidence you don’t actually understand football and just throw stones. We easily lose by 2 touchdowns in regulations if we commit to pressure. It would be easier to argue that we won because of adjustments - which (unless Dabo intervened) came from the coordinator. It’s understandable that 11 players at a time is way too many variables to analyze for a guy accustomed to 5. Or is it 6?

And we've had enough basketball talent to make the

Sep 27, 2022, 7:03 PM [ in reply to It has to be the DC. ]

NCAA tournament more than 3x and win ONLY 2 games in 12 years.

Do you ever think before you post, or does your juvenile desire to troll override common sense? Oh wait, you have no common sense.

Carry on, TROLL.

We blitzed a good bit Saturday because we couldn't pressure

Sep 27, 2022, 8:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Prior to this season many thought this might be our ]

the QB with our front four, according to Goodwin. This is not a new problem for the current front four.

I think you give Wake credit. And,

Sep 27, 2022, 6:40 PM

A. you have to account for the uniqueness of Wake's offense. We tried to use the same strategy Venables employed to stop it; but they countered that counter by intentionally pushing the mesh back(they were willing to give up some negative plays).
B. after they adjusted we were "perhaps" a bit slow in countering their counter to adjustments. Put that on a rookie play-caller and give most of it to the veterans who have called defenses before(Conn).
C. "fools rush in". Remember the Furman game? With the way Wake walks the ball up; had we committed to solely smashing the QB - I see them getting a ton of screens off on us. Which maybe would have been better in hind sight to the bombs they threw. Let the LB's come up and make a play.
D. Hartman is an NFL caliber talent at QB for them and a multi-year starter. Our DB's for this game just so happen to be at best a Sophomore. Bad formula to be honest between the experience of Wake in general - but especially at QB and WR against a very green secondary for Clemson; talented but green.
E. Injuries have hurt the continuity of this defense. We went into the Wake game only giving up 14 ppg. What would have been more acceptable?
F. you can't dismiss all the different line ups that have played. Kids want P/T or they will transfer. Injuries happen so giving guys p/t is a smart thing to do anyway. And, nobody in the Nation plays more players than Dabo. I can't help but think that has a lot to do with some of the bust in some of the previous games.

I think we will be fine. Everybody doens't run an offense like Wake that "your scout team can't simulate"! Everybody else pretty much runs a variation of basically what we run. So, the defense with a tighter starting rotation will be much better moving forward in my opinion. At least, I hope so. I am with you; if your thoughts are that "the defense hasn't been as dominant as one would have thought given the depth at DT and DE"!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The defense has definitely been a disappointment so far.

Sep 27, 2022, 6:44 PM

If they can’t get up for a game against a top 20 conference foe, especially after not playing up to their potential in the first three games, I don’t know how much Dabo or anyone else can say to get their attention.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Sep 27, 2022, 6:45 PM

Anyone who thought that wasn’t paying attention to our backfield. It was one of the biggest weaknesses on either side of the ball and we’ve had near worst case scenario injuries on top.

Sep 27, 2022, 7:09 PM

The slow mesh/RPO holds your DLine at bay because if you don’t and rush too far up field the running back will be at the second level before you blink and lead to big runs. When it was clear the short handed secondary was struggling in man coverage, Goodwin had to switched to zone and seemed to blitz less to help in coverage. That is why Wake started running the ball more and had more success in the 2nd half. Clearly this defense isn’t the 2018 version but still has the ability to be good. Sam Hartman also might be the best QB they see this year in the ACC.

We're currently 8th in rushing defense

Sep 27, 2022, 7:00 PM

2016: 24th
2017: 12th
2018: 4th
2019: 19th
2020: 15th
2021: 7th
2022: 8th (currently)

Pass defense:

2016: 14th
2017: 4th
2018: 24th
2019: 4th
2020: 41st
2021: 34th
2022: 104th (currently)

Our issue right now isn't the overall defense or the defensive coordinator. The secondary must improve, and we'll be where we thought we'd be.

The secondary isn't taught by the DC. First and foremost, Mike Reed and Mickey Conn MUST get their players playing with better technique.

Re: We're currently 8th in rushing defense

Sep 27, 2022, 7:13 PM

Completely agree though I would say whoever is calling the plays needs to know if his players can actually do the job and adjust accordingly. I love all the detractors who act like they haven’t seen this before. In 2010 the defense carried the team. I know we finished 6-7, but we might have finished 2-10 if our defense hadn’t played absolutely lights out. Dabo made a change. The next year the defense collapsed and it was arguably because of our offensive system which generated points but put the defense on the field - a lot. Dabo still made a change. All the folks want to rage about our coordinators and internal hires but we already have empirical evidence that Dabo will absolutely cut bait if needed.

We've been in position to make plays though

Sep 27, 2022, 7:22 PM

Just horrendous technique though.

When we play zone, that allows the other team to dink and dunk down the field. See La Tech.

When we play man, we're showing horrendous technique. At every level of football, DBs are taught to locate the ball and make a play on it. It's primary and vital. If you don't play the ball you're left with a WR who will go up and take it, or we're left tackling guys as the ball is arriving.

We're covering guys when that's the scheme. Just not playing with good technique, at all.

Fix the technique and we defend passes MUCH better. That's THE issue on defense... in my opinion.

Sep 27, 2022, 7:27 PM [ in reply to Re: We're currently 8th in rushing defense ]

You are cutting bait after 4 games where the team is 4-0??? I think a lot of people have revisionist history syndrome where they think all BVs defenses were holding teams to under 100 yards total offense and scoring under 3 a game. If that was the case they would have been #1 in every statistical category every year. Look at Pitt game in 2016. Or the SC game in 2018, or the 3 playoff games in 2019 & 2020. BV is probably one of the best D coordinators ever, no doubt, but you know how much easier it is to coach defense when your offense is what the Clemson Offense was between 2014-2020? You can take the risks because even if you get burned, you know your offense is going to make up for it. I don’t know what Godwin’s future brings but comical to talk about “cutting bait” 4 games into a season.

Sep 27, 2022, 7:34 PM

I’m not - at all! There are a lot of posters on here who rip Dabo for his OC and DC hire. There are even folks who think we should fire them - now! I’m saying we know Dabo will make changes if necessary so why not give it a season. We aren’t firing anyone mid year.

Sep 27, 2022, 7:18 PM [ in reply to We're currently 8th in rushing defense ]

A little misleading since most of the teams we have played so far have been pass-oriented. I do think we will be hard to run against overall, but I also thought we'd be a lot stouter than we have been.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah that's why I emphasized "currently"

Sep 27, 2022, 7:35 PM

I got you, but then again we're only allowing 2.5 yards per carry. When sorted on ypc, we're actually actually 7th. That's pretty doggone stout, and that's with missing key DL players for one or several games. We'll see how it holds up, but until I see them do poorly against the rush, then I'm sticking to my opinion there's nothing to pin on the DC right now.. other than he's the boss of the secondary coaches.

For the life of me I can't understand how we're so bad at technique 101. I'm positive these guys were taught better in HS than they're showing right now. Let's see if it improves with more seasoned secondary guys returning.

Sep 27, 2022, 7:36 PM

Every opposing QB having their best statistical game of the season so far against our defense! That’s an interesting stat and says a lot about our defensive performance so far this year. Disappointing. Winning is all that matters at the end of the day, so the team results are as good as you can be. 4-0. But everyone watching these games should agree our defense has underperformed based on talent that is there. That’s on the coaches to get the best out of these guys every week.

I'd be interested to see those numbers, but yeah

Sep 27, 2022, 7:39 PM

if true, that lends itself to the technique concern.

Sep 27, 2022, 9:05 PM

Blitzing just to blitz is worthless. We blitzed plenty but we telegraphed when and where we were coming from so WF picked it up and made us pay. The key to blitzing is to do it from somewhere the offense isn't expecting, which isn't happening right now.

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic