Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Portal Math .....hummmmm
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Portal Math .....hummmmm

Dec 7, 2022, 10:24 AM

Just read this morning that there are 3,085 D1 football players in the portal ..... assuming that they are both FBS (us) and FCS (i.e Furman) players. There are 125 FBS (85 scholarship limit) programs and 129 FCS programs (63 scholarship limit). Assuming all schools give the max number (probably not though) that is 18,752 players eligible for the portal. I am assuming that non-scholarship players have to go through the portal (maybe I am wrong). That equates to an average of about 6 players per school. The real question is how many of these players do not get picked up by another school and have basically thrown away their scholarship. Probably a bunch. It seems like the NCAA has done a terrible disservice to quite a few young athletes that will probably never complete their education because of their stupid rules.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"NCAA has done a terrible disservice

Dec 7, 2022, 10:29 AM

to quite a few young athletes"

The NCAA fought this as hard as they could. The victims (at least that is how you portray them) are the ones who pushed these changes.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: "NCAA has done a terrible disservice

Dec 7, 2022, 10:34 AM

Well, maybe victims of their own youth and inexperience, but none the less victims. Perhaps you don't remember being an 18 or 19 year old and making decisions that were not all that wise. I sure do. It is certainly a system that now does not work in their favor unless you are at the top of the heap.

"but none the less victims."

Dec 7, 2022, 10:35 AM

they made the decision to jump in an out.. they deal with the accountability.

No victims here.. just adults making adult decisions.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

I know the information is available, the number of those

Dec 7, 2022, 11:30 AM [ in reply to Re: "NCAA has done a terrible disservice ]

that end up with no home documented.

Anyone under 21 will still need a parent/guardian to sign any NLI and save extraordinary circumstance, they all have people in their corner?

It would seem most all are far from alone in this.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I know the information is available, the number of those

Dec 7, 2022, 12:48 PM

Why do you need to be 21? I would expect it to be 18, which covers nearly every player (a few are 17 at the beginning of freshman year).

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

? National Letter of Intent as is required...

Dec 7, 2022, 12:50 PM

in exchange for a one-year, institutional commitment...

http://www.nationalletter.org/frequentlyAskedQuestions/signingTheNli.html

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ? National Letter of Intent as is required...

Dec 7, 2022, 2:58 PM

Does a NLI have much meaning anymore. Does making a commitment to a program mean anything??

I have to say I am disappointed in Deion Sanders for going after a committed recruit. I thought I was an unwritten rule that once a player committed to a school unless he reopened his recruiting coaches left them a lone.

I am sure some coaches ignored that rule but I thought Deion Sanders had more class and integrity to violate that rule. I guess I was wrong.

College football ethics’s have been just been stomped on. Is anything sacred anymore???

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, but wait a minute . . .

Dec 7, 2022, 3:07 PM [ in reply to Re: "NCAA has done a terrible disservice ]

I don't disagree w/ you that they are "victims of youth and inexperience." But that is a sort of metaphorical use, not like the use of portraying them as a "victim" of the NCAA (i.e. the NCAA using them or ruining their futures against their will). That kind of equivocation can't float.

The fact is, like the other poster said- the one's who have advocated for and chosen to use this kind of freedom willy-nilly are not being forced . . . they are makings (often times, anyway) expedient choices - like you said - w/o a lot of wisdom. But that move does not make them victims of the NCAA - it makes them victims of their own choices and naivete and that of their parents.

Yeah, it is a terrible system, but the vicitms are largely the perpetrators of it, as well.

Re: Portal Math .....hummmmm

Based on prior years 40-60% will not be offered scholarships.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I understand how it seems unfair for these kids to lose their scholarships when they hit the portal. It’s their choice. You know this of course. It’s sad to see people make mistakes. If they don’t get picked up, they can drop down divisions or focus on their education and stop playing. Playing the game comes to an end eventually for everyone.

Dec 7, 2022, 10:36 AM

Maybe not even unfair, as they are the one that chose to do it, but none the less sad and part of what is a pretty crappy system. Drooping down a division is an option, if even they are wanted there, but the education part requires money that they or their family may or may not have.

"what is a pretty crappy system"

Dec 7, 2022, 10:39 AM

...."but the education part requires money that they or their family may or may not have."

lol..

you mean these athletes have to deal with life like every other kid their age?

Re: "what is a pretty crappy system"

Dec 7, 2022, 12:44 PM

Nope didn't mean that at all. I'm sure your parents would have been elated at you, as an 18 year old giving up a scharship, making an adult decision with their money!

i paid my own way through Clemson so my parents didn't have a

Dec 7, 2022, 2:30 PM

say in my decisions

around 60% of players do not get selected out of the portal***

Dec 7, 2022, 10:39 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Read sometime ago that the NCAA described

Dec 7, 2022, 10:56 AM

the new portal rules as being "student-athlete" friendly.

My understanding was this was entirely a decision made by the NCAA without outside pressure forcing the decision. Believing that to be the case, my take was an inordinate number of athletes would jump into the portal annually resulting in only a small percentage taken.

Personally, I thought the one-year sit-out rule was effective in deterring mass entries, the majority of which I believed would be ill-advised and ill-considered.

The fact remains that only a small percentage of athletes are drafted, meaning that a college education becomes important for most. Thus, the NCAA IMO erred to the point of inanity with the rules changes. Now, for crying out loud, we're seeing athletes entering and reentering the portal multiple times, a development as ludicrous as the rules change.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Read sometime ago that the NCAA described

Dec 7, 2022, 12:46 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Gets it!

Thanks Hartins for saying it better than me!

The portal proves one thing .....

Dec 7, 2022, 3:05 PM [ in reply to Read sometime ago that the NCAA described ]

most of these kids are more interested in NIL and NFL futures rather than an education. The sorry part is that the NFL dream is probably a moot point for most of these kids, since the vast majority are back-ups.

Dec 7, 2022, 4:18 PM [ in reply to Read sometime ago that the NCAA described ]

It started with Northwestern players trying to unionize . From there it were there the useless gutless NCAA that allowed Borrows, Fields to transfer and play immediately. From there it just got out of control some players hired attorneys to force the issue and State Legislators I acted the NIL law for players.

It’s turning into a disaster for the average college athlete. Only the top athletes are benefiting from the TP or NiL.

Dec 7, 2022, 5:08 PM

Wueagle you are correct. It's too bad that the NIL and portal arrived at the same time and both have done their share of harm and neither are doing what was intended. As you may recall, if I am correct, the NIL started in California where a basketball player (maybe more than one as other joined in later) brought suit based on the fact that all of these video companies were making millions off college players likeness and image and they were not receiving any compensation. The NIL, as I understood, it was to fairly compensate players whose NIL was being used in such a manner. I did not think it was ever intended to start a wholesale paying of players inordinate sums of money to show up for a 5 minute autograph signing at a car dealership ......... maybe not a good example, but you get the drift.

Dec 7, 2022, 11:04 AM

If people want to voluntarily give up a full ride scholarship to end up a college drop out with no hope to play professional football or get a college degree, all in the name of empowerment, then so be it. Not my fault they are morons.

Dec 7, 2022, 11:42 AM

The # I heard last night that only 38% move on with a scholarship over three years.

Dec 7, 2022, 11:47 AM

I've read that a bunch of portal entries are non-scholarship athletes. So it is hard to tell how many scholarship athletes are losing out on the other end of not being picked up. I imagine athletes walk on to a team, hoping for a scholarship. When it becomes apparent they aren't getting one from their first-choice school, perhaps they are shopping for a scholarship from a lower tier?

I guess they can, but it is my understanding that non-scholarship athletes do not have to enter the portal ....... but I guess they could just to get their name out there and maybe even pick up a scholarship. Good observation.

Do I like the portal? No

Do I believe these players are "victims"? No, not at all.

It's unfortunate, but some of these players are learning a very valuable life lesson that actions/decisions can have negative consequences.

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Re: Do I like the portal? No

Dec 7, 2022, 5:00 PM

I never called them victims ...... only repeated what another poster called the or implied I called them. It still does not make it right and does a disservice to young men that are still reaching maturity and learning about life. Me and many others learned by going in the service right after college. Many young men who otherwise are college age found themselves in the same circumstance. If you think you young men this age are mature and make great decisions, you need to try commanding a platoon of Marines of which 9 out of 26 were high school graduates. The did not always make mature decisions!

Dec 7, 2022, 5:08 PM

"Well, maybe victims of their own youth and inexperience, but none the less victims." - TigerLinks

And I never said they're mature, but they are learning valuable life lessons about making big decisions.

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Dec 7, 2022, 5:16 PM

I guess splitting hairs ...... repeating words that were put in my mouth .... but yeah I said it .... but I more or less agree with you "learning valuable life lessons".

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic