Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Pitchers must challenge batters better.
Tiger Boards - Women's Sports
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

Pitchers must challenge batters better.

May 30, 2023, 1:00 PM

Watched a lot of baseball and softball this weekend. (Thanks mother nature, for running my lake weekend.)
One of the major differences I saw between our softball pitchers and our baseball staff, was the ability to pitch inside to hinder power hitters. Our baseball staff isn't afraid to bust inside and tie someone up. They aren't afraid to hit a batter. It's the only way to neutralize a power hitter. Hard to get inside of a baseball when it's on your hands. Until the girls learn to go inside and tie up a hitter, we will see a lot more heartbreaking hits against elite competition.
Sunday night baseball broke down Ronald Acuna's swing and stated the reason he was getting hit so much was because busting him inside was the only chance a pitcher had to find a minute hole in his swing.
You cannot pitch scared against elite lineups. As much as I love and respect Cagle, she looked overmatched on the mound this weekend. Some of that is on the coaching staff. They put a lot on her.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Pitchers must challenge batters better.

May 30, 2023, 1:07 PM

Yeah she has to learn not to throw those meatballs.... gave up way too many HRs this year, but still by far one of the best players in the Nation.

those girls were really good though. Any little mistake

May 30, 2023, 1:14 PM

was going to be detrimental. And with Valerie being such a big fish in the softball landscape they were all wanting to make their mark. She was great the other 95% of the game. Just a handful of pitches that weren't really bad pitches just a hair elevated and over the plate on juiced counts can make a big difference to an opposing player who's adrenaline is high b/c of the matchup. And there was no rest they had like 7 in row of scary hitters.

You're taking potshots...nothing more

May 30, 2023, 1:08 PM

Baseball's been around over 70 years with a rich history. Softball hasn't even had four full seasons...no history, thus little in the way to attract the elite players on the OU's of the world.

The last time Stanford was in the WCWS was in 2004...with Rittman, Clemson's 'faulty' coach at the helm. You think the team was over-matched...by every measure, I would think so, given OU's legacy. But...the Tigers competed and made the Sooners blink.

I will close with this: when the Tigers played Bama in '15, I wondered if the program was ready to take the next step. They proved it that night. Last Saturday's game looked very similar, thus I'm quite positive, and proud, of the team's direction. A bright future.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You're taking potshots...nothing more

May 30, 2023, 3:27 PM

In no way was I trying to diminish what this program has accomplished in such a short time. Coach Rittman and the girls in the first recruiting class have been amazing and have far out succeeded expectations. Recruiting and player development will win future championships in this sport. OU is an unbelievable once in a generation team. If they end up winning it all they will be known as the greatest team in softball history.

- Longest winning streak in NCAA history.
- Best winning percentage in NCAA history
- Only went 3 up 3 down 5 times all season
- Only had 1 inning all season with 3 strike outs
- Pitching staff ERA was sub-0.99
- Haven't lost a home Super regional game since 2012
- Largest Margin of victory per game in NCAA

That team was a tough draw and that's an understatement.

Obviously the championship is our goal but you are

May 30, 2023, 1:25 PM

Glossing over the fact that we were playing the most dominant team in almost any sport this year and we were up on them in the last inning.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Obviously the championship is our goal but you are

May 30, 2023, 1:42 PM

I feel like the point still holds. Clemson has to start beating the tougher teams. This year they lost to TN, FSU, and OU. All three are elite teams and the final record was 0-6. That is not good if the goal is championships.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've said it before, but I think OU had figured out Cagle

May 30, 2023, 1:51 PM

due to the many innings she's pitched, and how much we lean on her, I think they devoted MUCH of their film time to figuring her out. Other than Brooke's rough start in game 2 - which she quickly overcame - our other pitchers did really well, I think. I just think they had her figured out, knowing that Rittman would lean heavily on her, as he did. She is an exceptional athlete, but anyone can be figured out, and especially when they're worked as hard as she is, be susceptible to mistakes. Not her fault. She did the best she could, but I just think they had her figured out enough to take major advantage. She's an amazing athlete, but she's not Supergirl.

Re: I've said it before, but I think OU had figured out Cagle

May 30, 2023, 2:21 PM

Clemson was beaten by a team that lost ONE game this season, that was one game. Clemson had an amazing season most other teams would take without question.
If Clemson had not drawn the 16 seed ( which was a terrible assignment by the NCAA Selection Committee) they would be in the WCWS.

Nope…you try throwing inside to OU hitters and they’ll hit

May 30, 2023, 9:41 PM

It to Alaska. In softball you can’t afford to hit batters and give up free passes…you may be able to slip an inside pitch in every now and again, but good hitters will make you pay. The OU batter put a good swing on the pitch Val threw, it would not have been a strike. A little more elevation or if it was a bit more outside it stays in the park.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Tiger Boards - Women's Sports
add New Topic