Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
PAC 12 expansion
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

PAC 12 expansion

Feb 8, 2023, 2:52 PM

If the PAC-12 is looking to add San Diego State and SMU to increase their TV revenue why does everyone say the ACC adding other schools hurt us financially? I think the ACC should try to add West Virginia, Arizona State, Oklahoma State, and one of the Texas schools to get that TV market. Baylor, TCU, or Texas Tech.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ACC should've added WVU long time ago.***

Feb 8, 2023, 2:55 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WVU couldn't pass the entrance exam***

Feb 8, 2023, 3:08 PM

Re: WVU couldn't pass the entrance exam***i

Feb 8, 2023, 5:25 PM

True. But neither could Louisville.

Feb 8, 2023, 5:28 PM

Another school that has brought absolutely brought nothing to the league.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MEG

Feb 8, 2023, 6:50 PM

It brought Football and Basketball initially.

Still bringing it in baseball.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We should definitely not take WVU with all the other schools begging to get in ACC.

Feb 8, 2023, 6:54 PM [ in reply to WVU couldn't pass the entrance exam*** ]

All the academic schools we have added have boosted our tv revenue by $1

The ACC should be looking at teams to add. Hopefully they are.

Feb 8, 2023, 2:56 PM

Hopefully we’re also talking to the SEC. 🤞🏼

Re: PAC 12 expansion

Feb 8, 2023, 3:01 PM

I think the ACC should try and add Bama, UGA, LSU, and Oklahomo;) Get rid of Dook, Wake, GT, and Syracuse!!!

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 8, 2023, 3:03 PM

I would add Penn St. to that list. That's a good group of schools. Geez I hope we never entertain thoughts of joining the SEC.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We don't have a choice....

Feb 8, 2023, 3:10 PM

the $$$ discrepancy will not allow us to stay the course. PSU would be a great fit for the ACC but they are not leaving the B1G.

Dabo has told us all where this is headed.....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree. We are going to get left too far behind financially

Feb 8, 2023, 6:03 PM

eventually with the status quo.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 8, 2023, 3:35 PM [ in reply to Re: PAC 12 expansion ]

Penn state would never leave the Big 10 they get much more money there

Feb 8, 2023, 6:52 PM [ in reply to Re: PAC 12 expansion ]

Lol. You know good and well you'd be tickled pink if Clemson joined the SEC.

I know I would.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 8, 2023, 3:20 PM

If the PAC-12 is looking to add San Diego State and SMU to increase their TV revenue why does everyone say the ACC adding other schools hurt us financially? I think the ACC should try to add West Virginia, Arizona State, Oklahoma State, and one of the Texas schools to get that TV market. Baylor, TCU, or Texas Tech.

No school will join the ACC because of the ridiculous grant of rights deal that locks us up through 2034.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 8, 2023, 4:33 PM

If the ACC adds a team doesn't the GOR and current contract need to be re-written? That is my understanding and if true I don't think any of the schools would agree to the ridiculous time frame that is currently written in.

Feb 8, 2023, 3:33 PM

Add Oklahoma State and TCU

Feb 8, 2023, 5:02 PM

Moontiger said:

Add Oklahoma State and TCU

I think both of those schools would be great choices. Not crazy about WV but I sense a lot of you are.

MEG

We need a Texas team and a west coast team.

Feb 8, 2023, 3:40 PM

there are no more west coast teams worth having.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 8, 2023, 3:42 PM

I think the PAC 12 is adding those schools to get back to 12. I cant see how those schools add much to the value of the PAC-12 tv deal. Sure they get in Southern California and Texas. But i have lived in San Antonio for about 25 years and have hardly ever seen someone wearing SMU gear. Good luck trying to charge extra in Texas for the PAC-12 network if they add SMU. I assume, outside of San Diego, there is not a huge following in California.

Also, the B1G would love to have Clemson and maybe a Florida school. We need fertile recruiting areas and quality football teams.

Feb 8, 2023, 4:07 PM

Acc tv football strategy is a head scratcher. Why did you let UCF go? The Orlando market is big. Why did you let Maryland go? West VA? Even Rutgers/Ny city

Maybe it will come back. But you better start grabbing schools in big tv markets regardless of their football history.

Honestly it feels like it's to late. Just look at the number of acc players headed to the NFL combine vs other conference. We are falling behind.

However, I still think it's a good product with competitive games.

Feb 8, 2023, 4:28 PM

The ACC already includes the Orlando market and all of Florida by having FSU and Miami. Adding UCF does nothing money wise but takes a share of the existing money.

Feb 8, 2023, 5:27 PM [ in reply to Re: PAC 12 expansion ]

Maryland was operating in the red and the B1G offered them more money. At least that is how I understood it.

That was another solid football program back in the 80’s.

MEG

Feb 8, 2023, 6:48 PM [ in reply to Re: PAC 12 expansion ]

Tsali said:

Acc tv football strategy is a head scratcher. Why did you let UCF go? The Orlando market is big. Why did you let Maryland go? West VA? Even Rutgers/Ny city

Maybe it will come back. But you better start grabbing schools in big tv markets regardless of their football history.

Honestly it feels like it's to late. Just look at the number of acc players headed to the NFL combine vs other conference. We are falling behind.

However, I still think it's a good product with competitive games.

UCF is the #4 program in Florida. It brings next to nothing.

At the time Maryland left (and we had no control over that) Louisville was an upgrade.

West Virginia is a tiny state.

As I live up here, I can assure you that even though it is on the other side of the state, Syracuse gets a lot of media in NYC, because (in terms of major college sports) it is more or less "the University of New York" in the same way that Rutgers is "the University of New Jersey."

Big TV markets no longer matter. Brands matter.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The first thing the ACC should do is…

Feb 8, 2023, 4:05 PM

Kick out BC, Syracuse and Pitt.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: The first thing the ACC should do is…

Feb 8, 2023, 4:51 PM

Agreed. CLEM has no business playing teams like that on an annual basis....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 8, 2023, 4:56 PM [ in reply to The first thing the ACC should do is… ]

I’m not sure how the ACC expects to do anything competitively with the money they are bringing in vs the SEC and B1G. Hard to imagine college sports without the ACC but it does not look good with our current deal and the way other conferences are doing business. We will get too far behind. Our current money won’t be nothing in the grand scheme of things in 2034.

Need basketball to gain the relevance it had in the 80’s. That would help to some degree.

Expansion for the ACC has not helped anything. Miami went downhill, VT is now terrible, and Syracuse, Pitt and BC are not great at anything right now.

I get wanting to add New York tv wise but all those schools are in areas where fans are into pro sports. Not sure if BC fans are even sure of when their home games are who they are even playing. It’s embarrassing.

Message was edited by: rhpltmeg®

MEG

Feb 8, 2023, 6:45 PM

We made the best expansion choices of anyone, and all the programs went down the crapper.

The B1G wanted Syracuse, but we beat them to the punch. Miami and FSU? Virginia Tech? These seemed like great adds.

More than Clemson and FSU need to be carrying the conference.

Feb 8, 2023, 6:40 PM [ in reply to The first thing the ACC should do is… ]

I'd keep Pitt on the football side and relegate Syracuse and BC to a different division.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think the ACC should get with Fox and ESPN....

Feb 8, 2023, 5:11 PM

.... and say, "Let's work this out so that both of you networks win by putting 4 of us in the SEC and 4 in the B1G. Let's figure out a way that ESPN can make more money by doing away with the current TV contract and merging us into SEC and B1G. Then you will have the two super-conferences and the others can go pound sand. It will be similar to the NFL. Fox has one conference and ESPN has the other. Gotta be a way we all win. Let's work it out."

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think the ACC should get with Fox and ESPN....

Feb 8, 2023, 5:20 PM

Have to say I think you are right. The big money acc football teams/tv markets will exit. Find a way to pay the acc a dividend for a decade.

Acc should find a way to make a basketball super conference and flip the ###### on ESPN and Fox.

Exactly!

Feb 8, 2023, 7:00 PM [ in reply to I think the ACC should get with Fox and ESPN.... ]

Hopefully Clemson, Florida St, and Miami are leading the way and having these conversations!

This is what will eventually happen.***

Feb 9, 2023, 9:00 AM [ in reply to I think the ACC should get with Fox and ESPN.... ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 8, 2023, 6:08 PM

To to paraphrase my mom, if the Pac-12 told you to jump off of a building, would you jump off of a building.

Keep in mind, for as much as people clutch pearls over the ACC media rights deal, we still will make more, team-by-team, than the Big-12 schools do in their new deal and what the Pac-12 schools will likely make in theirs.

While it is a nice geographical fit, West Virginia adds nothing to the ACC. It is a tiny state. And though "brand" is now important that the eyeballs that drove the last big round of expansion, nobody cares about West Virginia but John Denver (RIP). UConn (LOL - and I live in Connecticut) was the same.

At this point, nobody can meaningfully move the needle for the ACC (bring in more money than the average ACC share right now) other than ACC. (Penn State is NEVER going to leave that B1G contract behind.)

The Pac-12 is in a different situation. They have to water down the per-school payout, because they are worried about possibly losing more teams to the B1G. (It's not going to happen now, but when the new media contract is up.) Because Washington and Oregon can move the needle. So can Stanford. And Cal would be a good addition from an academics standpoint, as a "traveling partner" with Stanford. But Oregon and Washington are the two obvious targets for the B1G - and they would help ease the travel burden on everyone, with the addition of USC and UCLA. So the Pac-12 won't add two teams because they will move the needle. (The Pac-12 has just learned from the Big-12 deal that college football is such a big deal to the media that a watered down Big-12 was able to still increase it's per-school payout. So the selling point to Pac-12 member schools is "we're adding two teams, but because we are negotiating a new contract, nobody is going to make less money.") The Pac-12 would be adding two teams to preemptively address possible future departures. Hedging their bets. San Diego State is one obvious candidate. I think (if they can get their sh!t together) UNLV is the other obvious candidate, because they are in a big city and play in an NFL stadium. UNLV hasn't been good in football for a long time, but one can easily imagine them turning things around if they were in the Pac-12. SMU seems dumb to me. SMU is NOT going to add to the recruiting footprint for the Pac-12. It's like the sixth most important program in Texas. It would be the West Virginia of the Pac-12.

To the point, the ACC should sit tight. It's frustrating, but the alternative is to make a move that is good in the short term but waters down the conference in the long term. If Notre Dame comes a callin' sure! But no other viable team adds more than what we already get. Have to find other ways to increase the pot. Which is why we were part of the "alliance" that is forcing the playoff media deal to go to open bid.

AZ ST to the ACC?

Feb 8, 2023, 6:52 PM

#### no

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The ACC should divide and conquer.

Feb 8, 2023, 7:03 PM

We're in a unique position to do so, and help lead the way into the future for the rest of CFB in the process.

Take our 8 schools that truly invest in football (Clem, FSU, Miami, VT, NCS, Pitt, L'ville, UNC barely but necessary) and separate them into a football division. Add West Va due to geography and avid and supportive fans, plus a state public school, and we've got 9 to start.

With the remaining 6 (Ga Tech, BC, Cuse, UVA, Duke, Wake), put them in their own division and add 3 new up and comers to that from the East coast. Being proficient in all league sports would be critical here. Getting all whack out west or midwest would be lousy for all other sports.

Instead of 15, 16, or 20 team league crog pogs for footballing and schedules, we could make it a top 9 instead, have a few crossovers annually with the other division, and free for all in all the other sports. Media revenue, 80% driven by football, would be skewed up top. We could ramp up our media contribution over 50% just on this type of reorg.

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic