Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Outside perspective on Clemson.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

Outside perspective on Clemson.

Oct 17, 2021, 10:04 PM

I hesitate to post this. But, I think it will be OK after I give you the perspective. The two guys talking are long time FSU reporters. One is a local sports talk radio guy, in Tallahassee. The other has been covering FSU football through print journalism (Tallahassee newspaper, and for the last several years on the leading FSU website warchant.com - Rivals network.) These guys are not homers. They have been unbelievably tough on FSU all year. They are the first to tell you that FSU is not a good football team. They have been saying that the entire defensive staff should be fired at the end of the season, if not before.

If you want to hear their perspective on Clemson, listen to the first 5 minutes of the tape. They sound very much like the majority of folks on tnet. They talk about Clemson off and on later in the broadcast, but you'll have to wade through a lot of other stuff to get snippets.

If you don't want to listen to it, I'll give you the short version.
1. Clemson has a good defense.
2. The offensive line stinks. (The inside joke about knowing about a lousy OL is a reference to FSU over the past several years.)
3. The QB is below average.
4. The coaches don't trust the QB.
5. Dabo is trying to sound positive, but his post game pressers are not convincing anyone that Clemson is a good team.

Anyway, if you want to hear guys who follow football for a living, specifically FSU football and all that encompasses - ACC and all of college football, the first 5 minutes of this video might be worth your time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sXmVRaNY9Y

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can't argue with anything that they said***

Oct 17, 2021, 10:16 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Si vis pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, prepare for war)
USMC 1980-83
-Camp Lejeune
-Beirut, Lebanon
SC National Guard 1983-2018

Can’t argue with their assessment, but

Oct 17, 2021, 10:17 PM

Dabo (we) are kind of stuck. Cliche but we are who we are. If there was a logical mid season solution to below average QB play and poor OL play, there is no doubt in my mind that Dabo would jump on it. I just don’t think there is such a solution. Fire away.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very, very happy- very, very proud.

Re: Can’t argue with their assessment, but

Oct 17, 2021, 11:02 PM

If there were some psychotherapy/hypnosis thing that would calm DJ down and give him some confidence, then it could be like flipping a switch. Otherwise, we are stuck.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best way to calm DJ down is to teach the O-Line how to block

Oct 18, 2021, 12:53 PM

and give him more time to check down. Right now it looks like he is staring down receivers but he has no time to go through the progressions. Fix the O-Line and I bet we see a different DJ

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

didn't listen sounds about right .... we are

Oct 17, 2021, 10:21 PM

old lady's on the offensive line - Caldwell needs upgrading - and hiring a young coach without NFL experience is not going to be the answer

DJ was the jitters -- throws some high balls - sometimes the WR's drop balls too. DJ needs to improve or sit for a bit

DJ needs more than .7 seconds to throw. --- even Syracuse was LIVING in the backfield as soon as ball is snapped

Cleson Defense is GREAT - but we are over taxing those guys. #2 or #3 Defense ....... even if #4 our defense is stout. Veneable earns all his $$$$$

we need coaches WITH MORE experience -- we are overloading on Young coaches. legacy coaches. it's gonna bite us

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Outside perspective on Clemson.

Oct 17, 2021, 10:29 PM

Yep, sounds about right. +1

Oct 18, 2021, 8:10 AM

Sounds accurate to me and unfortunately Dabo doesn't seem willing to change QB.

Oct 18, 2021, 8:16 AM

If what you have behind DJ clearly isn't better why would you? I'm sure if the competition was close in practice we would have seen Taison by now. Sadly I believe this is just who we are Offensively.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 18, 2021, 8:50 AM

You can't really make the change at QB unless you are going to change the playbook too. We do not have a great passer on the roster. We may have a decent read option guy in Taison, but you would have to call those plays, and he probably does not have the durability to get 25 carries a game with a surgically repaired Achilles. All the parity that NIL and the portal are causing just highlights the global shortage of QBs who can hit a target downfield. The NFL has known about it for years. We need a system that can survive a mediocre QB. See: Alabama.

Oct 18, 2021, 9:22 AM [ in reply to Re: Outside perspective on Clemson. ]

Who could QB this team when WRs run the wrong routes, rarely get open and drop as many passes as they catch?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 18, 2021, 8:58 AM

It's true.
In addition to that, Our offensive coordinator is lost as last year's Easter egg.

Oct 18, 2021, 9:26 AM

They are 100% correct

Thanks for posting that. It’s always good to get some new fresh perspective.***

Oct 18, 2021, 9:30 AM

Oct 18, 2021, 12:21 PM

It's true.
In addition to that, Our offensive coordinator is lost as last year's Easter egg.

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic