»
Topic: Offensive Mistakes Killing us? Anyone remember
Replies: 4   Last Post: Sep 20, 2021, 9:34 AM by: TigerLinks®
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your CatCoins™ to grant this post a special award and grant the author bonus CatCoins™!

YOUR BALANCE
monetization_on
[ Tiger Boards - Clemson Football ]
Start New Topic
Replies: 4  

Offensive Mistakes Killing us? Anyone remember

emoji_events [5]
Sep 20, 2021, 12:33 AM

Bill Yeoman, pioneer of the Veer Offense when he was head coach at Houston.

When asked about a recent game, another coach who called him asked him about his teams 7 fumbles and if he was concerned about it. He said something to the effect "yeah I would be if had not scored 70 points." Yes, we have to cut down on offensive mistakes, but if the offense is dynamic enough, it is not going to kill you. We need more explosion plays.

military_donation.jpg flag link

Re: Offensive Mistakes Killing us? Anyone remember

[3]
Sep 20, 2021, 5:08 AM

I remember when we ran the veer under Red Parker. Unfortunately, we never seemed to have any of those 70 point games.

2021 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link

[1]
Sep 20, 2021, 9:34 AM

I remember that too. I also remember under Parker we never started to play until about the 3rd quarter and unfortunately then it was too late!

I'm not suggesting that we shouldn't worry about offensive mistake, but rather giving ourselves more opportunities for explosive plays and scoring more points. It's easier to correct mistakes when you have beaten an opponent by three touchdowns.

military_donation.jpg flag link

[1]
Sep 20, 2021, 6:12 AM

Hard to have more explosive plays when your line can't block, your quarterback doesn't drop far enough back, is too flat footed in the pocket, and relies on too many wide receiver bubble screens because they can't get open.

flag link

Yeah. Should go back to 1970’s passing plays

[1]
Sep 20, 2021, 6:52 AM

Where the QB takes the snap and just runs backwards at full speed for about 15 yards. Play should be developed by then. Just turn and chunk!

Maybe some more bootlegs. If it’s good enough for Randall Cunningham, it’s good enough for us.

2021 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link

Replies: 4  
[ Tiger Boards - Clemson Football ]
Start New Topic
1266 people have read this post