Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Not taking advantage of the transfer portal in 2022
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

Not taking advantage of the transfer portal in 2022

Oct 16, 2021, 6:37 AM

Would be the equivalent of being the only person in a fantasy football league that didn’t trade players. You have what you have, yet everyone around you swaps around.
I’ve never complained about this before but after facing multiple teams with transfer QB’s, the writing is on the wall

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not taking advantage of the transfer portal in 2022

Oct 16, 2021, 6:41 AM

I don't think we have any need for the portal. I think we have tons of young talent returning that will only get better or who are redshirting. We had an amazing class last year who are just true frosh and who will be in the mix. There are no game changers for us in the portal unless it's some stud QB that shocks everyone. We have what we need moving forward.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2021, 6:43 AM

You are just as delusional as Dabo!

Oct 16, 2021, 7:04 AM

Not really. I realize that it is slim for us to get upgrades in the portal and I realize who we have and how young they are. What position will you be upgrading in the portal? Now think about how slim to none it is to get that guy. I think you're a little naive and you also don't know our roster. There are true freshman like 5 star Tristan Leigh waiting in the wings who will be playing next year. Our true frosh that are playing now will be better. What position are you upgrading where we don't have players in the pipeline? Dabo is accurate as far as our team goes at the moment.

Oct 16, 2021, 7:12 AM

Just bringing in a veteran QB with a little touch would do wonders. We can all look forward to next years maybe or do what many other teams have done, upgrade and win now. That doesn’t seem to be the focus and the point for whatever reason

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2021, 7:16 AM

I could see QB if the right guy comes along. That I could see. Sure. Other than that, I think we are set with the direction we are going.

Oct 16, 2021, 7:19 AM [ in reply to Re: Not taking advantage of the transfer portal in 2022 ]

I would actually argue Clemson has a LOT of needs on the offense: pure slot receivers (of the Curtis Baham/Tyler Grisham/Adam Humphries/Hunter Renfrow mold), or those shorter possession-type WR's like Nuk Hopkins/Artavis Scott/Ray-Ray McCloud/Amari Rogers who can take that short pass and generate YAC.

We've got a ton of really good big jump-ball receivers...way too many of those, actually, guys who in most offenses would play the 9-man role. Somebody mentioned fantasy football trades, and they're really correct...in fantasy football we'd trade those guys for 5-man slot types and 2-man X-receiver types.

We're good at RB. I really like Pace, Mafah, and Shipley. If we can hold onto them we have our stable for the next couple years.

But the overwhelming need, IMHO, is on the OL. We need...basically everything. In an ideal world in a top D1 program the only two guys we're presently starting who would start are Jordan McFadden and Walker Parks...and McFadden would be an interior guy, probably a C. I love Marcus Tate's upside but no top D1 program ever starts a true frosh, like...ever, unless the guy is a true mutant...and Tate isn't. (He's just a really good young talent with advanced technique thanks to IMG.) They're not physically developed enough. That we are leaning on him so heavily is a complete indictment on our recruiting and development...almost across-the-board, from OL development to the weightroom.

So basically Clemson has severe talent needs at at least 6-7 of the 11 spots on offense. That ain't good...and the fact that Dabo's refusing to dip into the Portal means it ain't going to get better tomorrow either. We desperately need Spector back at WR; we need Stellato to develop, probably at the 2 or the slot. Honestly I might even consider kicking Shipley out to the 2 when he returns, using him as a WR/RB hybrid and finding a lot of creative ways to get the ball in his hands. But our OL problems are not going to go away so easily unless Thomas Austin can work miracles...and convince Dabo and Tony Elliott we need to run a good bit of power to soften up opposing defenses; our scheme is so soft.

But of course the overwhelming thing we need is a QB. We could have had Malik Willis for the asking, BTW - his HS coach at Roswell was a Clemson grad and the dude went from VT to Auburn to Liberty - and Willis was a Deshaun Watson clone and might be drafted in the first round this year. But we didn't, and now we have, seemingly, no viable starter...but there's going to be other QB's in the Portal, and when you consider the likes of Joe Burrow, Justin Fields, and JT Daniels have all came from the Portal we're seemingly morons for not even considering it.

Oct 16, 2021, 7:54 AM

We have possible slot WR's in Stellato, Spector, and Will Taylor, so there's that. There really are no exact needs where we don't have young people waiting. Finding an upgrade would be a needle in a haystack and getting them to join us as their choice is even more complicated. QB I can see, but there is nothing else if we have a healthy team.

Oct 16, 2021, 8:03 AM [ in reply to Re: Not taking advantage of the transfer portal in 2022 ]

It seems to me that you are looking at this in hindsight. Last year we needed the true slot guy, but depending on health and development, both Taylor and Stellato look to be good options going forward.

As for the o line nearly all of them would be starting or become a starter for anybody other than a handful of teams. The problem is that they would be further along and playing better if they were on another team. Despite what some people are saying we have done well recruiting the o line the last few years. It doesn't change the fact that the line is sub par. That is not going to change until Caldwell takes up fishing instead of coaching as a hobby.

Last of all, Willis would have never came here. Nobody expected DJ to have the problems that he has had this year, and transfers don't change teams to become career backups.

Recruiting isn't looking as good this year as years past, so it might be a good year to look to the portal, but let's look for what we need next year and let's avoid judging the outcome based on what needs develop because of injuries or underperformance.

Oct 16, 2021, 7:25 AM [ in reply to Re: Not taking advantage of the transfer portal in 2022 ]

I agree that the portal has nearly nothing to do with our problems, but this might be a good year to take a better look at it. I don't think that many of the recruits left out there have us at the top of their list, so unless something changes we would be taking several young men with considerably less hype than recent classes. I know there are under valued projects out there like Ruke and Ajou, but maybe keep back a couple of scholarships to pick a couple of kids from the portal. Maybe then I wouldn't have to hear about Fields and Burrow being QB's from the portal, when we were sitting there with Trevor.

Oct 16, 2021, 7:46 AM

We didn't need Justin Fields and Joe Burrow when we had Trevor. (Well, we could have used Burrow, but then, everybody in the country could have used Burrow. How on Earth did OSU let him get away?)

Regardless, didn't need those guys...but we could surely use the next Burrow or Fields - and that guy would surely consider us, given out pressing need for an immediate starter - but we're apparently not even considering it.

Worrisome.

Oct 16, 2021, 7:54 AM

It’s the stubborn unwillingness to use reason and consider it; in the face of disaster no less. When we had Trevor and were ranked in the top 25 I could see it. With this current situation it underscores how we go from #2/3 preseason to out of the rankings

Wow! The delusion of some of you is astounding….

Oct 16, 2021, 8:09 AM [ in reply to Re: Not taking advantage of the transfer portal in 2022 ]

Why in heck do you think we are young?????

Because of the portal and Dabos refusal to use it!!!!!!!

First and foremost I ask that you go read David hoods FB post from a couple weeks ago, that really dives into the numbers and is scary as a Clemson fan.

We’ve lost 20 players to the portal since 2019, that’s 6-7 per year. Dabo has gone out and gotten ZERO portal players. He has done one or both of the following instead:

1. Finds the replacements in the next recruiting class and STILL takes about the same number of players each class that he did 5-10 years ago (when the portal didn’t exist). This alone makes our team YOUNG every single year.

And/or

2. He takes the sHollie of the transfer and gives it to a hard working, non athletic player that is ALL heart and little talent (or a former Daniel High player) and depletes the overall talent of the team.

If you don’t believe me, then you’ll believe David Hoods FB post, it’s a non orange colored deep dive into scholarship numbers and recruiting classes. An eye opener for sure.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic