Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Not a great sub for the ole Boston-Whaler 14' JET Boat, BUT
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

Not a great sub for the ole Boston-Whaler 14' JET Boat, BUT

Jun 7, 2023, 5:06 PM

it gets me on the water, is lighter & easier to maintain (no waxing), does 25mph vs BW's 29, has new 15hp Tohatsu (they make Mercury and oldest OB mfg in Japan) that Son & Daughter gave me for Father's Day gift.

Monday I left from Lady's Island/Beaufort SC landing at 2pm and headed south on ICW, past Parris Island Marine Base, across Port Royal Sound near ocean to northern tip of Hilton Head Island to relax & wade (see pics)..

then further south past Hudson's Seafood on Skull Creek section of ICW to my former HHI RV Resort where I lived for 13 years on a great deeded lot that had a 1-mile view back to Hudson's.

Got back to landing at 6:30 which included gasing up, resting, sight-seeing, slightly running aground twice (the JET needed only 1' of water!) and going thru some really big incoming tidal waves that crashed over bow & side (3 gallons worth) and threw my motor out of the water 2-3 times which made it over rev enough to slightly damage the rubber safety encasement part of the prop hub which means another prop at $55-$95 but will have a spare now.

Saying, boating ain't for the cheapo's or faint of heart!

Check her out; named FUN since so narrow I can't do Lindy 2 or 3, or Tigerag, or Beauty as I did on earlier boats or sailboats.

Life is good @ 82 and in 10 days I will be at Southport NC to cross over The Cape Fear Ruver near ocean to Bald Head Island to meet up with CU Grad & Attorney Son WILL (aka Babybulb) to chow down with his yearly seafood-pasta dish and see 2 granddaughters.

Then next day I will attempt, as I did in Whaler Jet several times, to motor from lovely seacoast town of Southport up ICW to Wrightsville Beach to see my ole haunts, eat & swim b/4 heading back.

Know that I post this to encourage all you younguns

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dang, pushed b/4 finishing ~>>> see 3 Pics of FUN~

Jun 7, 2023, 5:10 PM
IMG_1574.jpeg(187.9 K)
IMG_1575.jpeg(134.2 K)
IMG_1578.jpeg(326.2 K)

Cont: ....That life is still great even when older or old!

goooooooooTiGERS, F I G H T !

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dang, pushed b/4 finishing ~>>> see 3 Pics of FUN~

Jun 7, 2023, 5:17 PM

Looks like a perfect fit Bill. I think I’ve seen it in an old James Bond movie. Watch out for that skinny water!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 7, 2023, 5:35 PM [ in reply to Dang, pushed b/4 finishing ~>>> see 3 Pics of FUN~ ]

Good deal. I have a new seat arriving tomorrow for my 20 year old boat.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the tug abides

Jun 7, 2023, 6:36 PM [ in reply to Dang, pushed b/4 finishing ~>>> see 3 Pics of FUN~ ]

You inspire me Mr lightbulbbill! Love to on the water with you one day

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 7, 2023, 6:38 PM

Wow. That didn’t post well. Love to be on the water fishing and exploring with you one day.

Bill...that looks like the boat I grew up fishing in. Had an

Jun 7, 2023, 7:08 PM [ in reply to Dang, pushed b/4 finishing ~>>> see 3 Pics of FUN~ ]

18 horse johnson that was hard as heck to crank. It was a sigh of relief every time we got to the lake and it fired up. I remember one day at Martin's Creek on Hartwell when I was about 12 or 13 with my dad and my cousin Joe...it was the end of a long day crappie fishing and we were cranking up for the last time to head back to the ramp and go home. Well sir, my dad ripped that thing about 15 or 20 times without it firing up.... and then, he gave it the old college try and , "Tink"....the pull cord broke and my dad fell over backwards into me and my cousin. My cousin and I busted out laughing and my dad,who NEVER uttered a word of profanity, said," I don't know why in hell you two are laughing....y'all gonna be paddling!!".......You know...I've had that memory 50 plus years....still fresh....I just don't think you will get one of those from playing a computer game...

Re: Not a great sub for the ole Boston-Whaler 14' JET Boat, BUT

Jun 7, 2023, 5:23 PM

Thanks for sharing. I hope to be on the water this weekend.

Jun 7, 2023, 5:47 PM

Reminds me of a boat I had growing up in NE Florida …tooling around the intracoastal searching for redfish, jacks, and trout. Mine was a little wider I think. Was able to easily stand up and throw a cast net. Good times.

Keep the pics coming. And I dig the blue color.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

+1 Impressive Level of Activity Bill but ...

Jun 7, 2023, 5:58 PM

The boat is missing one critical element. Yes, a Tiger Paw.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 7, 2023, 6:11 PM

Bill, I’ve often flown ‘into’ places like Boston, NYC, DC, Charleston, etc., and thought it would be cool to have a boat to just cruise around, explore some of the islands, lights, etc., but I always assumed it would take a sizable boat to deal with ocean like currents, swells, and waves, and there would be a lot of restrictive rules/regulations that would make it difficult. Or worse yet, get me arrested or fined.

Not sure I’ll ever pull the trigger on those thoughts, but you have definitely shown it’s doable.

Motor on my friend! And be careful!

GO TIGER!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Jun 7, 2023, 6:36 PM

My favorite sport is anything you do on a boat with a beer!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 7, 2023, 6:50 PM

Great post keep living!

Jun 8, 2023, 9:41 AM

I can remember making that journey across the Cape Fear River from Southport to Bald Head Island with my uncle in a 12’ jon boat. I think it was around 1960 and I was 8 or 9 years old. There wasn’t much on Bald Head back in those days outside of “Old Baldy” (the lighthouse), some good oyster beds and a few wild pigs! Southport was a sleepy little sea coast village. It’s changed somewhat since those days!

Jun 8, 2023, 9:44 AM

Those can be some treacherous waters.......smooth sailing LBB!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic