Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
NIL, the portal, and rich kids
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

NIL, the portal, and rich kids

Dec 6, 2022, 3:01 PM

Warning, LONG:

I'll provide some perspective and insight regarding the hot-button issues of NIL, the portal and the fairness of collegiate athletes earning money and the ability to transfer when they wish during their collegiate athletic career.

Let's visit European sports for a moment, since it is the longest tenured professional sports paradigm in existence. I know it breaks from the system we have established in the United States between College Football and the NFL, but hear this out and perhaps it may reveal that NIL and the portal will sort itself out eventually and be a good thing; perhaps you tell me I'm stupid. It's your choice. I'm fine with either.

In Europe, Kids ages 12+ start earning wages from professional sports clubs, with their salaries growing based on their skills and their ability to get recruited onto the larger professional club teams. Kids compete throughout their youth teams to earn spots on the professional reserve team and ultimately the professional team, where they'll get the largest contracts. I played with many of these kids while I toured Europe playing club soccer in high school. Some of the kids I met were earning $2,000 to $4,000 per month. It blew my mind their professional clubs were so committed and organized to their development. I was playing premier level youth soccer in the US but I had to pay to play. They got paid. Why should our premier youth players be different?

In regards to professional leagues, the clubs in Europe compete to ascend and play in their top leagues. The best teams stay in the top leagues, the worse clubs get relegated each season to lower leagues (and less money).

We don't have either of these structures in NCAA College Football or the NFL. So what exactly is College Football?

There is no real youth feeder system aside from high school football and some pee wee youth leagues. The system is disjointed. Is college football a feeder league? That doesn't seem quite right.

Our college football stadiums are often quite larger than the professional stadiums. For instance, Clemson's stadium seats 82,000 and the Carolina Panthers holds 75,000. How does that happen? Clemson sports are supposed to be amateur. How could many college amateur stadiums hold more people than NFL stadiums? How does college sports earn billions of dollars each year?

What happens to the money from the television contracts and jerseys & merchandise sold? It doesn't go to the players directly. Instead, it can be argued, the players get scholarships for education (because it is their current only option aside from abstaining from playing football and developing their skills independently outside of collegiate football). How do you get to the NFL without playing college football? What are the odds?

It could be argued that the college players don't care much about the scholarships, when juxtaposed against earning money and competing to ascend to the NFL. They'd rather compete to earn a chance to go pro than go to class. If the player doesn't pan out in attaining an NFL contract, then they can quit sports and pursue an education, just as they do in Europe.

We can eliminate some of the NCAA bureaucrats getting rich off the backs of "amateur" (really they are unpaid professional) athletes.

The NIL allows for the athletes to earn money now, much like their professional college football coaches earning $3M to $11M per year. However, The portal and NIL has created an insane, unregulated version of free agency. It has basically broken the former traditional NCAA/NFL system for football broke.

The system will continue breaking. The best model for developing athletes and sports teams is in Europe. It may never happen in the US for football. But the current American football system broke and it's going to crumble. Hopefully when it is taped up together and reshaped we can have something regulated and more equitable for players to earn money and be paid like the professional athletes they are, rather than being taken advantage of by bureaucrats.

Just remember, nothing is fair. Players make mistakes. They were previously unpaid and unable to leave a school without penalty, even when the coaches can leave without penalty. Things are more fair now.

There's going to be tampering with NIL and portal. It will eventually get fixed.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: NIL, the portal, and rich kids

Dec 6, 2022, 3:20 PM

First thing they need to fix is reciprocity. Kids have no commitment requirement to the school, but the school must commit to paying out the remainder of their eligibility. That is unfair to the schools. That will slow down the bum rush we are seeing this week.

Eventually they need to just eliminate the age requirement for pro sports. It is probably unconstitutional age discrimination anyway. That will get rid of 90% of the money being slung around college campuses for players.

Dec 6, 2022, 3:38 PM

Yes, you're onto something there. If they remove the age requirement, that could really help. And the reciprocity. Both valid points.

Not to mention: this will truly fizzle down to a true

Dec 6, 2022, 7:30 PM

Need based situation and the appeal will fade. Ride it out and use it if you need too. Te, rb, and de. Most will become skill player based that truly make a difference

Dec 6, 2022, 3:36 PM

Very interesting post. There are 11,000 Major college football players on scholarship every year and maybe 400 wind up in the NFL. Because of those numbers, college football will never be a different system. Nobody could convince me that NIL and the Portal have made this season any less exciting and interesting than other years. Football is a great sport today and will be a great sport tomorrow.

Dec 6, 2022, 5:17 PM

How is the European development league for soccer so different from our baseball minor leagues? Sounds pretty similar. Only MLB seems to want out of the minors. They’re tired of paying for it. The minor league teams themselves can barely afford to pay the guys. Why? Because aside from “two for Tuesday’s” and “thirsty Thursdays” nobody cares about going to minor league baseball games.

If football did a developmental league how would it work? If the people of the upstate had the choice of watching 3 & 4 stars play for Clemson or watching 5 stars they’ve never heard of play for the Greenville Goobers minor league football team, where would they go? Pretty sure Death Valley would still be pretty full while the other guys would be struggling to get Sirrine Stadium half full.

Minor league football would have to compete with college football and it would lose. So do we, for some weird reason, want minor leagues masquerading as college conferences? I guess a lot of people do. I think it’s stupid.

If 18 year olds don’t want to be college student athletes and want more money, fine. They can do something else. They can start their own league. Why is it the colleges responsibility to provide jobs for losers who can’t do anything but play football? College football would be just fine without the malcontents no matter how good they are.

Scholarships aren't really a thing in Europe

Dec 6, 2022, 5:31 PM

because college is either free or extremely affordable. They actually pay you to go to college in some European countries, instead of you having to pay tuition. I know that's mostly irrelevant to any point that you're making, but a lot of things are different over there.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Scholarships aren't really a thing in Europe

Dec 6, 2022, 5:53 PM

It may be a little irrelevant but you’re not wrong. It’s a good point in how countries treat their secondary educational opportunities, sports aside.

Always frustrating when people tout europe’s superiority

Dec 6, 2022, 6:47 PM

re “free” education or healthcare when the plain truth is that these things aren’t free and that europe’s security and r&d are massively subsidized by the US.

As far as athletics, kids getting paid, and the value of scholarships go, the bottom line is that 99% of college athletes won’t play pro sports. Fine for them to make some money off the game, but discounting the value of the education afforded to them is either disingenuous or ignorant in light of the fact that pro sports are not in many of their futures.

Paying little kids to play soccer? Seems silly.

Last point: i agree things will work out. Some schools are just gonna end up being basically the minor leagues and kids will either transfer from them to the big schools or transfer to them when they don’t get playing time at a big school.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Always frustrating when people tout europe’s superiority

Dec 6, 2022, 7:05 PM

I think you make some excellent points. I wanted to clarify that it wasn’t being disingenuous nor ignorant in stating major college football players are most likely at a college to compete for going to the NFL, not going to class, since that is the only feasible avenue currently for making it to the NFL. That seems as if it is a likely scenario for many. There are outliers of course.

Like you said, scholarships and education is super important. However, if someone finds out at age 19-20 they aren’t going pro, they can jump into educational environments such as universities full time and study or work like the rest of us did. I don’t think I said scholarships were not important but instead focused on the reasons why most major players were forced to enroll in college.

It def is crazy the young teenagers get paid but soccer is now the highest paying sport in the world. The professional clubs pay big money to get the players and keep them. Would be a weird feeling to be 15 and earn more than my dad.

Dec 6, 2022, 7:17 PM

Not sure about the popularity of sports clubs versus the schools. Universities automatically have a fan support due to the alumni base. This support brings the money which is the driving factor.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not sure if I missed it somewhere in the thread, but

Dec 6, 2022, 7:42 PM

Why not make the top college football teams the minor league and break it from the rest of the NCAA sports? For example, Clemson University could run their football team as a minor league professional sport, continue generating revenue for the University, drop the sham that is “student-athlete” for football players, provide real-world instruction for life skills in case they don’t make it to the NFL, and we, as fans, get to cont8nue to support our team? The BIG, the SEC, and certain teams of the ACC, PAC12, and Big12 join this minor league and these Universities all continue to make a boatload of money. The remaining sports continue to compete in the natural leagues so those kids who are there to get an education don’t have to spend days on end traveling across the country to play non-natural rivals.

Re: Not sure if I missed it somewhere in the thread, but

Dec 6, 2022, 7:49 PM

Clemson football players get soemthing (if they choose to) worth a great deal, a degree from Clemson University!

CLEMSON, SC – According to data released by the NCAA, Clemson’s football program has a graduation success rate of 75 percent, seventh best nationally among the top 25 teams in the latest USA Today poll, and 16th best in the nation among all FBS schools.

Link to the full article:

https://clemsontigers.com/clemson-has-strong-graduation-success-rate-statistics/

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed, but most of them don’t look at it that way.***

Dec 6, 2022, 8:15 PM

Dec 6, 2022, 8:05 PM

This is stupid... sorry. The MOST stupid thing ever to come from the NCAA.

NIL and the Portal are the beginning of the end for NCAA Football. So sad the NCAA succumbed to the pressure of idiots.

First - NIL, the only players earning any money are the big names like Deshaun, Trevor, etc. What about the linemen blocking for them? Zero. Has to initiate hostility. It's insane.... it's frigging college.

Second - Portal, #### off a player this week, and he is gone the next. At least the NCAA morons limited it to the end of the season. Prevents any coach for planning and creating a program based on talent. Of course it will make the games better in Div. 2, which is what we'll all be watching.

The entire thing is beyond stupid. In 10 years, we won't have football like we do now because a large number of fans are gonna say screw it, and they'll start watching ladies softball.

I thought Dabo required NIL money to be shared?

Dec 6, 2022, 8:14 PM

And I agree with you that many of us won’t be watching college football in ten years if it keeps going like this, but I, for one,, will not be switching to softball.

Our sports progression is FUBAR in this country

Dec 6, 2022, 8:24 PM

to be honest. I wish sports were completely decoupled from schools and mostly operated like soccer in the UK. You want to play, they can usually find a spot for you. It might be on the 6th team for your age group, lol, but there's a lot of spots.

Sports are tied to the town, not the school. As you progress, you can move up teams in your club, and you can move to premiere clubs and go through that progression as well. It totally avoids all these strange issues like 5 years to play 4 and the NFL requiring college football and all sorts of just dumb stuff.

I think football would be much better for it. CFB as it is today is full of players that peaked at about age 16, with rare exception. Lots of folks don't finish growing until they are 18, even 20. I know it won't happen without any major disruption to our society, but it's nice to think about.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic