GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNETs™ to grant this post a special award and grant the author bonus TNETs™!

YOUR BALANCE
monetization_on
NIL in 5 years.
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic
Replies: 4  

NIL in 5 years.

[1]
Jun 29, 2022, 12:51 PM

Just wondering....

What if it's just such a colossal failure? Seriously. Look at year 1. DJU gets paid; flops. Sam Howell get paid; flops. Spencer Rattler gets paid; flops. Etc. Maybe Bryce Young was the only exception?

Now we have MILLIONS going out to kids. How many of the high-end players will face injuries, bad coaching, bad positional players (#### poor OLine for example), etc?

...and how long will it take the upper class to become tired of seeing no return to their investment?

flag link

Too early to tell

[1]
Jun 29, 2022, 1:01 PM

IMO I think you'll see the patience wane after the first couple of NIL affected recruiting classes.

I mean, anyone think TAMU, USC, or UM are going to keep handing over millions without any championships?

If one of those programs wins a natty in large part due to the NIL sweepstakes then the bidding will continue.

If the highest bidders don't win a natty, I think you could see a cooling effect on bidding -- not that it would stop but I think these wacky 7 figure deals would dry up into the 6 figure range for blue chippers.

But ultimately, it's anyone's guess and I'm sure it could go a number of ways.

2022 white level member flag link

Are these funds that would normally go to athletic depts?

[1]
Jun 29, 2022, 1:19 PM

How are athletic department budgets affected?

I have my doubts that current levels of NIL are sustainable.

flag link

I think “Fans” will keep paying whatever it takes to win….plus a lot of this is

[1]
Jun 29, 2022, 1:23 PM

Tax deduction’s anyway as advertisement……so the money will always be there IMO……some just may back off some, but for the big schools who want to win at all costs……Texas,SoCal,OSU,Mich etc….they will continue to pay…..as I would too if I were rich…..I want a Clemson to win the Natty every year…

flag link

I think you are missing a couple key points

[1]
Jun 29, 2022, 1:33 PM

1) Its all about volume and maximizing chances. Don't look at the handful of guys that flop. If, for example, A&M is able to use NIL to land the top recruiting class in the country every year, eventually enough of those guys will pan out that they will start winning SEC titles and making CFPs

2) Some of these boosters have so much money that they don't really care about ROI. They are interested in my 1st point above - signing large numbers of talented players.

2022 white level member flag link

Replies: 4  
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic
613 people have read this post