Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
NIL and CFB Compensation (Very Long)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1

NIL and CFB Compensation (Very Long)

Oct 18, 2021, 9:20 PM

I know the NIL has been discussed and cussed and will continue to evolve.

I have not seen a discussion that includes the NIL as a part of overall player compensation by Universities. So, I will offer a new perspective which is not going to be popular with most fans, coaches or others who still think college football in the power 5 schools is still all about student athletes performing in an amateur sport.

The NCAA, coaches, ADs, etc. sat on their ### and resisted players being compensated while the main folks involved in the sport were making millions each year. Finally because of a federal court ruling, the NIL went into effect on July 1, 2021. It allowed college athletes to market their Name, image and likeness. How it all works is still unclear as each state has it's own rules. Bottom line, a few FB players on teams are making a lot of NIL money. Most are making nothing. And that is going to cause problems on teams at some point.

We are talking about some young men in their teens and barely out of their teens finally having a chance to make a lot of money as a college FB player . But it will not be applicable to most members on the team who will make nothing. The team's few superstars who are in the limelight will reap the monetary rewards. The supporting cast will reap no monetary rewards. Humans being human, this will eventually lead to jealousy, resentment, and other problems. It is a recipe for disaster.

Many will say, the NFL has super stars who make a ton of money compared to most of the other team members and it has not destroyed the NFL. True. But, that is because every other NFL player is also making millions. Maybe only a few millions, but still a lot of money. Not the same in college FB.

So, how do you fix it? It will have to be fixed.

I suggest the following.

Each school's sports team that has NIL players making money, get a percentage of the money. I say 40%. But it could be more or less. Why should a school's team get a %? Because without the team and the school's image, reputation, etc., the player would not be in a position to sell his NIL. So, the school's team should get a cut. The % of money going to the team would go into a fund and would be distributed evenly among all players, excluding any player making NIL money. That way, all players benefit from NIL money. The more a superstar makes on NIL, the more each player makes. Every one wins.

The next thing I would like to see happen is for players to get a % cut of the tv contract revenue and ticket sales. The NCAA and the schools are making millions off of tv revenue, and ticket sales. Without the players you have no team and no reason to sell tickets or turn on the tv. They are the performers. They deserve to be paid as performers. Some conferences will have an advantage in recruiting players. But the wealthy conferences already have an advantage in better facilities, better coaches, etc. If there is a way to distribute equally to each player, and that is accepted as being fair by players, then implement it.

My proposals may seem far out and many will say it will never happen. I believe NIL has opened pandora's box. A few players on a team making tons of money and most others making nothing is not going to survive. So, all players are going to have to make some pretty good money. Works in all pro team sports. Big time college FB is dang near pro sports now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: NIL and CFB Compensation (Very Long)

Oct 18, 2021, 9:39 PM

I think NIL is bull$hit ...they get free room and board and all they can eat so not feeling any need to compensate. If they want money get a job and give up school see how that goes. This NIL is feed the bear mentality. Feed the animals they get dependent. Just like dumocrates...

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 19, 2021, 2:48 AM

Yeah, screw the worker in favor of corporate welfare.

The players make thousands, the NCAA and athletic departments make billions. That must be the free market at work.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 18, 2021, 10:53 PM

Totally agree. We all hate it but it's reality now. Agree with spider too, they do pretty good with scholly, r and b, free meals and stipends. No they cant get a job and play football.

But you are spot on, may not be covert, but there's resentment and jealousy. Not many OL getting NIL. Not many 2nd string qbs getting NIL... But unlike what spider says, not everyone can be the CEO. Unless you do what you're suggesting, the portal will become an even bigger revolving door.

May sound doom and gloom but the minute you get money involved it changes the entire game.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 18, 2021, 11:05 PM

Well said. There has to be some equity to the whole team if this NIL and possibly the TV contracts at some point. The current process will make team efforts very difficult

Spencer Rattler is s decent case for this. The OU team can’t stand him for the NiL as well as his personality.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 18, 2021, 11:05 PM

Well said. There has to be some equity to the whole team if this NIL and possibly the TV contracts at some point. The current process will make team efforts very difficult

Spencer Rattler is s decent case for this. The OU team can’t stand him for the NiL as well as his personality.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 5
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic