Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Need The People w/brains here. I have questions.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Need The People w/brains here. I have questions.

Jul 28, 2021, 10:47 PM

1. Would it not make sense for OU and Texas to perhaps pursue the ACC? The word on the street is besides Clemson and FSU(when they have their head out their bottoms) - sometimes Miami and sometimes N. Carolina - the rest of the league is rubbish. If you are both of those schools; why wouldn't you do that? Texas likely has one of the largest fan bases in CFB. Oklahoma has a large following nationwide. Money for a Texas(especially) shouldn't be an issue.
2. If you are the ACC why not pursue those two (UT & OU) and kick ND to the curb? Somebody is thinking what about the volleyball team on a Tuesday night. Well, what about them going from Miami to Boston on that same Tuesday night? Or cootlumbia to College station? It's a tough gig and with air travel and such - doable. How much further is Austin from Clemson than Clemson is from Boston? Roughly 120 miles difference. Austin is 1080 mi. Boston is 960.
3. Feeling all my answers will have to do with following the money. With that said, help me understand why if you are Texas and haven't done anything since 2005 and V. Carter are you dying to get into even tougher competition than the Big 12? Both of these schools seemingly switch turns on getting beat by an under-skilled Kansas State or Iowa State team yearly!
4. Isn't Texas the home allegedly of the best H.S. Football in the land? (note: i don't think so). Big Bad Texas needs to go to the SEC? Just seems out of sorts. Must be lots I am missing; I have been out the loop i've been working so much. Hoping someone can articulate to me why this even makes sense "BEYOND" the money!

Thanks!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Need The People w/brains here. I have questions.

Jul 28, 2021, 10:53 PM

Best HS perhaps, but certainly not the best college coaches.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good luck finding brains here............

Jul 28, 2021, 10:56 PM

:)

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yep...ruled me out from the get go.***

Jul 29, 2021, 9:16 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 28, 2021, 11:00 PM

If you take Texas and Oklahoma at their word, it has to do with Prime time exposure. They didn't like the 11 AM cst kicks. Their perception is as stated by them, harder to recruit when you have that slot... So, is that the same as money, apparently not.

That's if you believe what they're stating publicly. Personally, I put my money on what Dabo is saying. Super conference, make your own rules, govern yourself.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 28, 2021, 11:18 PM

Oh wow! I didn't realize that was their position. It's a plausible reason honestly though. The kids you want the most want the prime time games.
However, if you are playing other teams from that same conference wouldn't it just be the Alabama(as long as satan is there) invitational or if LSU can get all the stars, moons, planets, frogs butts to align just perfect invitational?

Is the goal to basically - bully their way in the playoff if maybe they: "only had two losses your honor in a murderers row of opponents like: scar, kentucky, vandy, arkansas, ole miss, miss st.

I think OU and UT were sizing up the vast majority of the SEC and going - "we smoke most of them"! Then with a loss or two after a few years - perhaps they are right the recruiting picks up.

A&M certainly has out-recruited both of them I believe each of the last 5 years. Sumlin and Fisher are both great recruiters - but being in the SEC helped a bunch.

In short, could be a smidge of truth to it. But, it's mostly about the revenue sharing most likely.

I just don't see it working out for them in terms of ever competing for a NC! But now; as much as people like to talk about the players in the SEC. Bama was down like nobody's business before Saban got there. Mediocre season after mediocre season - LSU could have won a few if they didn't have Les Miles 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense. Perhaps Texas and OU are thinking post Saban era SEC.
Even the top of the SEC has shown they can be pretty bad without a great coach at the helm. Remember Georgia Southern going into the Swamp a few years ago and beating them? Only throwing like 4 passes the whole game on a "Vaunted SEC Defense"! Yeah, lose that great coach and see if "it just means more or if you had a combination of great coaching and players to match"!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 29, 2021, 4:47 PM

I like that you post more than a twitter line.
You have brains.

the tug abides

Jul 28, 2021, 11:42 PM

I read somewhere that the ACC DID reach out to Texas and Oklahoma, but they chose the SEC instead- and who could blame them with the disparity in TV money.

I think the source was David Hood last week, but not sure.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 29, 2021, 12:04 AM

Sorry, but bc I'm hard headed, I read your post anyway, and I'm not one with the brains, sorry!!!;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 29, 2021, 2:08 AM

My brains are limited but my two notes are:
- OU and TX followed the $. It is a business decision at the end of the day and Dabo is probably right that this is going to lead to the super conference era. May as well be ahead of the curve.
- Vince Young, not Carter. Half-Man-Half-Amazing is as fun to watch as any athlete I have seen, but I don't think he would make it to halftime of an SEC or ACC football game.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 29, 2021, 6:30 AM

Premise #1: Money drives the train.

So, it would make no sense for them to pursue the ACC.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, apparently brains are lacking in ACC

Jul 29, 2021, 7:07 AM

Schools' administrations, because they sure as hail ain't following money, either. Living with the current agreement runs counter to all ACC universities calling themselves 'higher education'.

How do I know if I have a brain? Does doctor Fowchee tell me?***

Jul 29, 2021, 9:22 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 29, 2021, 2:44 PM

Imo, they just needed to go somewhere. OU discussing a move with the SEC ruptured the Big 12. I'd imagine most of the other teams are in contact with anyone they can get on the phone.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 29, 2021, 2:57 PM

1st of all, we are not part of the Atlantic Football Conference. And if we were, I would take Tennessee right now, while their stock is so low it would rival game stop before Robin hood took over. They won't suck forever.
Secondly, add Notre Dame now. If they don't want to sign some sort of deal, then be gone with them. Thricely, throw Vandy into the mix since they are the only classy school in the SEC anyway. They might be a good victim for our homecoming game, and Lord knows they would boost our academic standing as a conference.
These additions would definitely fall within the parameters of the Atlantic Coast better than Texas and Ok IMO. Btw, did you check out my TGC letter? If so, thoughts?

Yeah..but what do I do with the banana?***

Jul 29, 2021, 3:02 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: Yeah..but what do I do with the banana?***

Jul 29, 2021, 6:32 PM

Tailpipe???

I'm out ...

Jul 29, 2021, 3:04 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Jul 29, 2021, 4:45 PM

the tug abides

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic