Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My thoughts on coaching changes at Clemson.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

My thoughts on coaching changes at Clemson.

Oct 23, 2021, 10:41 AM

It's akin to following coaching changes at LSU and USC and other jobs.

Nobody knows.

People are all over the place trying to guess what Scott Woodward (LSU AD) is doing. But, nobody knows. Folks are claiming to have inside sources and leaks and good information. But, nobody knows.

Same with Clemson.

Nobody knows what Dabo is thinking.

1. Has he lost confidence in the system and think it needs more than just tweaking, but a bigger overhaul?
2. Does he have confidence in the system, but has lost confidence in Elliott?
3. Does he have confidence in Elliott but has lost confidence in position coaches? Which ones, OL, QB, WR?
4. Or does he think this year is an aberration and everything will be back to normal next year?

I'm not opposed to speculating. Heck, I have posted my thoughts here.
1. The primary problem is the OL. I will be shocked if OL coach is not replaced.
2. I have very little confidence in QB coach. I would not be surprised if he is replaced.
3. I have been disappointed in WR play. I don't know enough to have an opinion on the WR coach.

It would not surprise me to see Elliott leave after this year, for another job. But, it would not surprise me to see him stay.

I love listening to y'all talk about the offense. I like the education from folks who follow it more closely and know far more about it than I do. I love reading about who you think would be good replacements for any of the coaches. It's what fans do. It's what message board are for.

But, I would expect Dabo to say nothing except positive things about his entire staff. If he is planning on making any changes I would expect him to tell no one except the AD (if he is considering changing Elliott) and no one except the AD and Elliott if he is considering changing any position coaches.

ADs have learned that the fewer people who know, the fewer leaks there are. Most ADs now hire a headhunter to do all the "legwork" and the only people who know what is going on are the AD, the headhunter and the university president.

I think Dabo operates under the same rules. Except he doesn't hire a headhunter.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I could be wrong but I don’t think TE gets hired to a “good job”

Oct 23, 2021, 10:57 AM

This year as his stock is down. Not saying it should or shouldn’t be but saying it is. So he’s not getting a big job this year. So if he wants a smaller school to start or if Dabo tells him nicely to leave on a positive note he could leave. But I would bet he’s still here next year. And I seriously doubt he’s running off Streeter. I don’t speak for all fans but I would like the OL coach to retire or moved to a different position and get a really strong hire here. I know Dabo is all about family and culture and I love that. But I’ve also been apart of organizations that fall victim to inbreeding (not talking about the gamecock kind here) and would like him to go get a solid candidate, good recruiter from outside our organization. Will take some discomfort and really vetting someone but I think he could do this just like he brought in BV.

Message was edited by: lovingit®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My thoughts on coaching changes at Clemson.

Oct 23, 2021, 11:16 AM

I like your thoughts, but unfortunately TE isn’t going anywhere, neither is Streeter. Caldwell, the OL coach will probably “retire”, but the man who will replace him is also part of the “Clemson Family” and has been learning from Caldwell, so more of the same.
Grisham, the WR coach, so far hasn’t impressed me at all. This team needs some coaches hired from the outside, but I don’t see that happening anytime soon.
Would love for this team and these coaches to prove me wrong today. If not, this season is done and this “everything is fine” attitude will carry over to next year.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 23, 2021, 11:37 AM

The offensive schemes needs to be gone we need a new playbook. Doubt TE leaves but him and Dabo better get a new playbook .You have to get a new Oline coach. Hope he goes outside for a replacement if not time will tell Not impressed with Graham .Program is at a crossroads on the offensive side It takes good line play and schemes can't re ly on generational talent always just my 2cents.

This is the most likely scenario.***

Oct 23, 2021, 11:39 AM [ in reply to Re: My thoughts on coaching changes at Clemson. ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

We suddenly have a lot of coaches light on experience - seem

Oct 23, 2021, 11:21 AM

like we need some coaches who have been around LONGER and with BIG programs or the NFL.

young coaches are great for recruiting I know

null

Bret you are one of the saner voices on here

Oct 23, 2021, 11:25 AM

And I believe you hit the nail on the head. People are crazy to think anything is off the table.

Re: Bret you are one of the saner voices on here

Oct 23, 2021, 12:44 PM

Good thoughts, Mr Bret.
I am as concerned as anyone, but I think there is a factor at play that nobody is talking about.
Think back to the last couple of years CDS was an assistant coach, and what he saw and lived through.
That was a wild and wooly time in college football, when even at Clemson there was a lot of upheaval, quick personnel changes, and players who ended up with their heads so spun around that they couldn't perform.
I believe that experience looms large in Dabo's psyche, and maybe he has even said out loud "I will not do that." I don't know.
I think everyone is interpreting this as blind loyalty. There probably is some of that, b/c Dabo is that kind of man. But I think there is also a conscious commitment to stability, grown out of the environment when he was coming of age as a coach. I can easily imagine him gritting his teeth to resist the temptation to change his approach, believing he can stay with his convictions and make it work out.
Maybe it's a fault, maybe not.
I hope he gets it sorted. I hope we see something good this afternoon. My loyalty to my alma mater is permanent. And my belief in Dabo as a good and wise coach and a builder of young men is based on a long time of watching him, and will not be easily shaken by this goofy season.
GO TIGERS!

Oct 23, 2021, 12:31 PM

The Clemson system is like a wildly successful family business. It is loaded with friends and family to share in the success. Unfortunately, this is where a lot of businesses fail because they become comfortable and no longer focused on growth and competitiveness. It is hubris to think the best people for a job are all among those already close to the program. It is also extremely hard to fire those already in this system, because they are friends. Weathering the awful changes to CFB that NIL and the portal bring is going to require hiring from outside, and creating some unsavory new jobs that are roughly tasked with NIL money laundering management. I am not sure I will cry if Clemson chooses the high road back to the middle.

Oct 23, 2021, 12:49 PM

If Dabo can't put his personal feelings aside to make the correct changes on offense, DRad will hopefully step in and remind him of what he's being paid to do.

Oct 23, 2021, 1:19 PM

This 120%.

If Clemson backs into a win today or loses today, the AD needs to sit Dabo down for a long hard talk and ask for 6 million of this years salary back.

I'll trade this 2021 Dabo in for a Dabo from 2011 to 2013. He's hired to make hard decisions as HC, not to be Mr Comfort Pillow for coaches or players who aren't pulling their weight.

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic